The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:01:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Type 3 drums & short axles...?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Type 3 drums & short axles...?  (Read 9144 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« on: December 31, 2011, 00:24:27 am »

I know theres gotta be a thread about this but can't seem to find it ..!!...How much do you need to take off to fit on short axles...??... Huh

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
stealth67vw

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 00:30:16 am »

About 5/8" or 16mm.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 00:48:42 am »

Do you mean on the "snout" of the drum/hub Undecided Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 01:35:06 am »

Yes, they are. 66' short axles, I'm going to take the hubs to work to shorten them for the 66' axles for Kaferdog. So I need to make sure before I cut them.     Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 21:55:18 pm »

Do you mean on the "snout" of the drum/hub Undecided Smiley
Yes the snout..Thanks ..I heard it was 5/8 just wanna confirm it ?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:42:55 am »

yep that is it. same for drums with 4 lug and 5 lug type3 drums.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:06:05 am »

The 5/8 figure is right. I ran type 3 drums on my 67 cal looker and used 66 axles too. I love the width of the brake shoes on the type three.  Great braking power.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
John Palmer

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 20:54:28 pm »

The 5/8 figure is right. I ran type 3 drums on my 67 cal looker and used 66 axles too. I love the width of the brake shoes on the type three.  Great braking power.

Rick M

And.......the rears work even better with a larger (as in front) wheel cylinder to get a better brake biais when run with small front and larger rear tires.
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 22:01:09 pm »

Rick M

And.......the rears work even better with a larger (as in front) wheel cylinder to get a better brake biais when run with small front and larger rear tires.

or look at the square back cylinders they are a bit bigger then the one for a notch or fastback. but it must be original Vw items as nowadays i see they sell only one size for all models.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:20:02 am »

Rick M

or look at the square back cylinders they are a bit bigger then the one for a notch or fastback. but it must be original Vw items as nowadays i see they sell only one size for all models.
yeah I heard that super Beetle are I think 23mm...?...and they were the ones to use..!

DWL_Puavo

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 19:20:36 pm »

1302 front drum brake cylinders are 23mm and fit great with T3/4 rear drums. Also, they are dirt cheap when bought as a new - same thing with the "drum part" of the 2-part T4 rear drums. The hub part itself is best as old original - much stronger than, for example, Kärscher-made rear disk brake kit's hub.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 04:03:42 am »

Another question regarding this conversion...

I have Type 3 backing plates on their way to me.  My '58 still has the original bearing retainers, which should have an oil damper (?) on the outside to collect any oil which escapes past the seal.  I don't have these. I was thinking that whilst things are apart I should therefore fit the later style retainers which direct any escaped oil through the hole in the Type 3 backing plates.  However, I'm told these retainers come in various depths...logically I should wait for my backing plates to arrive and check what depth I need with these in place, however I have a deadline for getting everything together!

Has anyone else done this conversion/update who can help?  Is it worth making this change given I currently have parts missing?

Also, the one other  part I don't have is the short Type 3 springs which are on the lower point on each shoe.  Does anyone know if these are similar to any other VW (Type 3 parts are hard to find here and we didn't get Super Beetles with front drums either which I think may have used the same setup)?

These are the current bearing retainers:

Many thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 05:51:52 am »

Gday Richard.

How about something like this perhaps?
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rear-Brake-Hardware-Kit-1965-79-Beetle-113698537C-p/113-698-537ckit.htm

RichardinNZ

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 07:20:42 am »

Unfortunately the Springs are different in the Type 3 kit.  I was hoping they may be similar to something used on a Beetle ot Bus as it'd make it easier to obtain here. 

This is the Type 3 kit:
http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/store/images/98-6988-B.jpg

Thanks
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 08:00:37 am »

My '58 still has the original bearing retainers, which should have an oil damper (?) on the outside to collect any oil which escapes past the seal.  I don't have these. I was thinking that whilst things are apart I should therefore fit the later style retainers which direct any escaped oil through the hole in the Type 3 backing plates.  However, I'm told these retainers come in various depths...logically I should wait for my backing plates to arrive and check what depth I need with these in place, however I have a deadline for getting everything together!
Many thanks
Richard
Unless T-3 backing plates are thicker than T-1 backing plates, you should find bearing retainers from a '64 to '67 Beetle.
Check here to help identify the different retainers . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583865&highlight=axle

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
RichardinNZ

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 08:42:33 am »

Many thanks for the link.  I'll have a good read through the information and see what I need. 
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Critter1

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 01:05:14 am »

The 5/8 figure is right. I ran type 3 drums on my 67 cal looker and used 66 axles too. I love the width of the brake shoes on the type three.  Great braking power.

Rick M

yeah I heard that super Beetle are I think 23mm...?...and they were the ones to use..!
If Super Beetles have a 23mm front wheels cylinders... what size do Squarebacks have in the rear vs front? What size do  Notch/Fastbacks have?  I'm curious to know the comparison. I'd assume that Super Beetle front wheel cylinders are easier to come by that Type-3.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 01:23:41 am »

My backing plates arrived Today; hooray.  One of the springs on the adjuster is broken;  boo.  Looks like I was over optimistic in hoping to finish the car for Easter!

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 02:37:23 am »

My backing plates arrived Today; hooray.  One of the springs on the adjuster is broken;  boo.  Looks like I was over optimistic in hoping to finish the car for Easter!

Does it look like one of these . . . http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211609185a

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
RichardinNZ

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 07:56:29 am »

I think the Type 3 ones are longer and wider.  The seller has said they will send me one so should all be good in the end.  I just have to have patience and accept I'm driving our T##ota minivan to the NZ VW Nationals.          I do admit that then 3 hour drive will be easier in that than in the Bug with 4 people plus luggage!

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Chris W

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 18:58:44 pm »

I got springs out of a Bus kit I believe. I just bough a few till I found the right springs. It took a few kits to get all the hardware.

RichardinNZ

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 19:25:34 pm »

Hi Chris
Vintage Warehouse have the spring kit...unfortunately shipping from the USA isn't cheap but probably still more cost effective than having to purchase a number of different kits.
I like the weight saving on yours; very neat setup.  I'm thinking that as the pressure is now off in terms of time, that I'll get the backing plates powder coated for mine.
Thanks
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
RichardinNZ

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 22:00:06 pm »

Back to the springs....I just can't bring myself to pay $27 shipping on a $16 part!  Does anyone have any spare lower springs (x4) they would sell or leads to a which bus springs are similar?
Thanks
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
RichardinNZ

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 22:23:37 pm »

OK, after months of too much work and too little time to spend on the Bug I thought I'd made some good progress on this, having sourced sensibly priced hardware etc.

However, somehow I have managed to snap the new adjuster leaf spring which was welded to my right hand backing plate...does anyone have any replacements or know where I can find one (or perhaps 2 just in case!)?
Thanks
Richard

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: