The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 22:35:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350764 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Small powerhouses and old school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Small powerhouses and old school  (Read 664941 times)
RFbuilt

« Reply #480 on: February 10, 2010, 22:16:12 pm »

yeah that does makes sense..

prolly xplains why we dont have  that option in "forged"  just custom orders

looks like the mahle's are more than up to the task

btw Udo  thanks for the info regarding the rennkafer bug.. hehehe  loved that bug!
Peter Shattock

« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2010, 08:14:52 am »

Sorry it took so long again, but here is one of many dyno pulls made.

Peter

The fastest beetle in the village
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #482 on: April 09, 2010, 16:01:07 pm »

That sounds healthy!

You should post this clip in the turbo thread Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #483 on: April 10, 2010, 13:22:32 pm »

Nice Feature on Pete Shattock's car in the new VolksWorld Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #484 on: April 11, 2010, 09:19:17 am »

Cracking feature, Motor sounds awesome!

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
mymedusa

« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2010, 18:32:43 pm »

long time nothing new..so i will post the first startup of my mouse engine...a real tiny mouse Wink

36HP
1192cc
singleport
singlecarb(harley CV)
in the video 1/4-1/3 throttle max. because engine needs some brake in first.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHScA1WVBeA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HHScA1WVBeA</a>

and my daily driver mouse
1192cc 36hp with blower.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUuDKGd1mVE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eUuDKGd1mVE</a>

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 18:37:57 pm by mymedusa » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2010, 21:06:12 pm »

is it a pepco  Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
mymedusa

« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2010, 07:52:11 am »

no.
aisin + pci34 carb
up to 1 bar of boost. Roll Eyes
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:30 am »

is it possible to have closer pictures from the supercharger Huh
i never seen before one like this , who made them Huh

thx
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
mymedusa

« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2010, 09:14:32 am »

for sure, i will make some new during the days, here an older one:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8278/motor3n.jpg
the rest is bedder per pm because i don't want to spam this brilliant thread any more.
all build at my own but for sure in memory to old pepco just way more boost.
the other engine is also build as supercharged engine...carb is just for breakin time.
don't find a good pic so fast:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2076/80512876.jpg
Frallan

« Reply #490 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:01 am »

Mymedusa,

Congratulations, I do really like those installations. Well done!

Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #491 on: May 09, 2010, 10:21:22 am »

Yesterday a friend here in Turbotown took his 1641 turbo engine to the dyno. 354 rwhp at 1.9 bars. Not too bad  Smiley

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
maX cal-look

« Reply #492 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:45 pm »

for sure, i will make some new during the days, here an older one:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8278/motor3n.jpg
the rest is bedder per pm because i don't want to spam this brilliant thread any more.
all build at my own but for sure in memory to old pepco just way more boost.
the other engine is also build as supercharged engine...carb is just for breakin time.
don't find a good pic so fast:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2076/80512876.jpg

Realy nice motor, love that's Too !  Wink

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #493 on: May 10, 2010, 12:43:27 pm »

Yesterday a friend here in Turbotown took his 1641 turbo engine to the dyno. 354 rwhp at 1.9 bars. Not too bad  Smiley

Not bad at all. More info please.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #494 on: May 10, 2010, 13:48:02 pm »

Not bad at all. More info please.

Specen:
single relief case.
Orginal crank,8 dowels, not balanced
CB h-profil
Mahle forged 87mm pistons
Camshaft, well nothing exotic FK something...
Scat 1.4:1
Cromolypushrods
Original heads, welded and ported, BUT original valves 35/32,5

HX-35 turbo 56mm in
1600cc injectors
Double 984 pumps
E85
Autronic SM4

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
1946vw

« Reply #495 on: May 12, 2010, 05:26:41 am »

New motor 60x95 238.78 so far, It will be on the dyno for days. Brian
Peter Shattock

« Reply #496 on: May 12, 2010, 08:35:14 am »

Brian,

I like the bore to stroke ratio! Nice to see you using a good quality thick wall stable cylinder too.

If your prepared to share the information, what is your peak torque figure and RPM and max power RPM?

Good luck with the HP hunt, but its a great result to date.

Will you be running this in your G dragster?

Peter

Crazy Mc.Stairs

« Reply #497 on: May 12, 2010, 18:25:23 pm »

Sorry it took so long again, but here is one of many dyno pulls made.

Peter

Damn I love that sound! Wink It makes me thinking of my old little engine! Grin
Taylor

« Reply #498 on: May 13, 2010, 02:42:46 am »

What's with the spider humping your motor Brian?   Cheesy Grin
Good power though. Taylor
Peter Shattock

« Reply #499 on: May 14, 2010, 09:33:36 am »

Well, I've had my first few drives in the car with the new motor, and I have to say it is amazingly smooth and very well behaved around town, with very good throttle response from low RPM, in fact it feels more like an EFI engine than a IDA motor. There is none of the small engine light parts issues which some people talk about either! All in all my initial impression is that its drives very well and street diving to date has been fantastic and needless to say it’s just great to drive the car again.

The air temperature is still cold here and I’ve only been on short (15 minute) runs so far but all signs look good with oil temp at less than 80 degrees still! The heads certainly seam very cool if the temperature of the tin ware is anything to go by (I don't have cylinder temperature gauges).

I've driven to work today as it’s a nice sunny day so I can enjoy a drive at lunchtime so there's not much chance of getting much work done today!

As for the performance it certainly feels very quick but to be honest the same could be said of the old engine after the 5-6 months off over the winter driving a diesel Polo. That said the low rpm pick up is significantly different, as you had to keep the old motor on the boil for it to fly but this one is raring to go right from low RPM.

I have a couple of weeks now before the first race of the year so I hope to get some good street miles in between now and then to check all is well over longer distances and generally get the hang of driving the car again. Needless to say there are a few other little jobs to attend to as there always is, which I hope to do over the next couple of weeks, if I can stop driving the car!

Its all to easy to forget that's what its all about, having fun and driving the car, and it certainly is fun, so perhaps those little jobs can wait!   

Peter

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #500 on: May 14, 2010, 15:50:54 pm »

There is none of the small engine light parts issues which some people talk about either!

Please elaborate...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Peter Shattock

« Reply #501 on: May 14, 2010, 22:46:14 pm »

Hi Zach,

I was meaning that I know a number of people earlier in this tread I think, suggested there may be problems with running light parts, particularly flywheels, in terms of drivability. Needless to say I'm sure this is true at some point. You just have to look at F1 cars trying to get out of the pit box, but I think the combination would need to be genuinely extreme if this new engine is anything to go by. I think by most peoples standards this engine would be considered, as fairly extreme by n/a VW street car standards, but in this combination in my car which is admitidly light (1500lbs when I'm in it) there is no problem at all (stock ratio first and second gear on a 4.25 rp). To be honest its ridiculously drivable.

I went for a longer drive today and temps wise it certainly looks good, but as I said in my last post its not too warm here!

But following my little lunchtime razz around I can definitely confirm one thing. Happiness is a hot VW!

Peter

deanosvws

OFF 24

« Reply #502 on: May 14, 2010, 23:38:57 pm »

sunny day, fast bug, ida's, brms, can't imagine why you didnt get much work done!

OUTLAW FLAT FOUR
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #503 on: May 15, 2010, 21:02:17 pm »

Your new motor sounds fantastic Pete! I can't wait to see it race at Shakey in a couple of weeks. Congrats on a seriously cool project Cool

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Peter Shattock

« Reply #504 on: May 17, 2010, 14:50:43 pm »

Dean, your bang on! I had the Ida's ringing in my head all afternoon, and I don't mind the Erco's but you can't beat rolling on BRM's.

Thanks Matt although its Johannes we need to thank for the noise, I know I'm bound to be biased but I have to agree it does sound a bit good!

Mind you whilst we are doing a bit of back slapping I dont supose I'm the only one looking forward to seeing your car run in a couple of weeks with 600+hp!

Peter

Tom G.

« Reply #505 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

long time nothing new..so i will post the first startup of my mouse engine...a real tiny mouse Wink

36HP
1192cc
singleport
singlecarb(harley CV)
in the video 1/4-1/3 throttle max. because engine needs some brake in first.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHScA1WVBeA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HHScA1WVBeA</a>

and my daily driver mouse
1192cc 36hp with blower.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUuDKGd1mVE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eUuDKGd1mVE</a>

So COOL Grin Grin the sounds of both engines is awesome!!! these little 36HP monsters!!!
mymedusa

« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2010, 17:18:24 pm »

a bit more spam...more blown 36er..without fan because it need new bearings.(preA porsche 356)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YbJr_zlifeM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YbJr_zlifeM</a>
its not really shown in the handy video, but the throttle response is pretty good.

@TomG
it is time that your tiny monster is ready ...come on.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 17:20:59 pm by mymedusa » Logged
Peter Shattock

« Reply #507 on: June 04, 2010, 14:07:21 pm »

Well what a weekend! I’ve finally got to run the car down the track with the new motor. But first of all the drive to the track. Its just under 110 miles to the track from home and the drive there was all fine, and I’m not joking when I say the only temperature problems were getting the oil temperature up as driving at 4000rpm the max oil temp I got on the gauge was 80 degrees. Better still I turned up at the gate moments before Andy Marriott did in his hot 1914cc n/a street car so we drove into the Outlaw pits for the weekend in formation.

Given the gearbox in the car was designed to suit my old engine I was a little paranoid about breaking it, so I ran for the first day on MH street tires which netted me a best of 11.87 at just over 113mph which I was very pleased with as it beat my previous PB on slicks and all I did when I arrived was change the oil check the valve clearances, take the fan belt off and the deck lid so I could film what was going on of in the engine bay off the line. At the end of the day I ran one 1/8th mile pass with slicks as there was a big cross wind and there had been a few incidents earlier in the day, which netted me a promising looking 1/8th mile time to build on the following day.
Day 2 of racing I ran with the slicks and ran a number of 11.6…. second passes with a best of 11.60 again just over 113mph. that’s over 3 10ths of my best previous ET. I had a number of problems with the car, and my driving over the weekend, so I’ve got a list of things to do now before I race again in July.

The drive home again on the Sunday night was great, as it was a nice sunny evening and again the car was just running really sweet, and I got home in good time with no problems. For those of you who drive your cars to and from the track, you’ll understand there is a great feeling pulling on to the drive at home and clicking the motor off having had a great weekend with the car and a bunch of mates, there really is nothing much better!

I have to say a big thanks to Johannes, as true to his word (as ever), the motor has been fine on the street and even better on the track. I just need to get my self and the car in order to really do it justice now! 

Peter.

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #508 on: June 04, 2010, 14:29:07 pm »

Well done Pete/Johannes, I'm sure there's a lot more in it plus it sounds awesome Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #509 on: June 04, 2010, 17:31:33 pm »

Second what Ben says! The car sounds absolutely amazing and is a credit to both of you! Pete's motor is the closest I have ever heard a VW motor sound like a sports bike! Simply aural sex Wink

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: