The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:57:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Single Port Carb Rec
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Single Port Carb Rec  (Read 2285 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: September 18, 2007, 19:23:28 pm »

I think I have decided to keep my 1500cc single port for a while longer for my '67 while I focus on getting the body rust free and one color. Then that will allow me to save up for the 2 liter and berg 5 I want at a later date. Otherwise this could turn into a six year project and I don't want the car off the road that long. I am looking at ways to squeeze some more power out of the SP. I would like some carb recommendations that would have a vintage feel, but not fall into the realm of difficult (read expensive) to get or find parts for.  Right now I am thinking either dual Kads or maybe a bugspray or Zenith centermount.

The base engine is in good shape w/ 120 compression on all four pots. (Another reason I want to continue to use it for a while.) I am thinking a header, some 1.25 rockers, the 010 I have stashed and maybe bumping up the compression a couple of points. There is a place on the Samba advertising rebuilt SP heads for $75. I might pick up a set, have them flycut and do some home porting a la the Fischer book. So what set of carbs would you recommend to go with this engine?

Thanks,

--louis

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 19:41:52 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 20:01:37 pm »

I ran K-dogs on mine with good results.  Not a rocket, but definetly more enjoyable to drive.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bryan67

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:01:21 am »

If you can find one a Zenith will run nicely on it.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:12:35 am »

Okay, well this problem has been solved. I was at our club meet tonight and one of the members mentioned he had a 200 Holley bugspray & single port manifold he wanted to get rid of cheap. So, being the generous person I am I decided to relive him of his burden.  Grin  It will need a rebuild but that shouldn't be a big deal. So now I have the bugspray, the 010, a Santana pulley and a cheap header w/ single QP to bolt on the 1500. I just need to scare up a set of cheap 1.25s and I think I will be good to go.

I will be pulling the engine this weekend as part of the suspension upgrades I want to do over the next few weeks. (more on that later) It should be a good time to detail the engine, paint the tin, do some general cleanup and maybe some mild porting on the heads. At least then I wont feel like a complete Cal-look poser after I drop the front end, bolt on the burners and put on the t-bars. With any luck I can get all this done by the time for Florida Bug Jam in November so I can drive it to the show. (BTW, if anyone else is attending this show let me know. We can hook up for a drink some time during the weekend. I plan to be down for all the weekend's activities.)

I was so excited that when I got home tonight after the club meet I went ahead and pulled the bumpers, the back seat, the deck lid and put the car up on jack stands to get ready for the mad thrash coming up.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 03:15:15 am »

Should be nice and torquie.. Quite old school, have fun!

I also park at Nick's.
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:59:07 am »

Good score! Even if you don't port out the heads much, match port the heads to the manifold, it'll work much better! With my old 1584 DP, I just ported the heads AND the manifolds for the 36DRLAs to match the gaskets! Worked a treat...  Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: