The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 03:23:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines.... DDS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines.... DDS?  (Read 1547 times)
deano

« on: January 03, 2011, 21:11:32 pm »

Mike Fritz brought up a good topic about the  (missing) photo of Dean Lowry that was supposed to be on the back cover of Bill Fisher's famous book. When Keith Seume chimed in and suggested that Vittone perhaps leaned on Fisher to omit Lowry, it caught my interest. Ken Lowry did tell me that they (he and Dean), had some sort of falling out with Bill Fisher, so I picked up my ancient copy of How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines, and took a look at the contents. To my surprise, there is NO mention of Dean Lowry or Deano Dyno-Soars in that book, despite being published in 1970 - the heyday of the Lowry empire. And it is very pro Empi, and 88mm pistons, and basically slams 92s. In the brief mention of 92s, Bill did not give Deano's credit for the product, but only gave KAL Enterprises credit (whoever they are), and no photos of the 92s. It goes right into the weak points of these pistons (broken ring lands), and how they weaken the case, and break heads when boring them too much. I can't find Dean Lowry's name anywhere in that book, unless I missed it. In the list of 1970 suppliers, no Deano Dyno-Soars - a clear message from Bill Fisher!

So, there you have it. That must have really pissed off Dean and Ken Lowry when that book came out!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 22:18:58 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 22:17:00 pm »

And also the Empi display-engine on the front cover. I read the book several times this autumn for my engine project, now you say this I didn't remember any words about DDS too.

Fritter

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:29:57 am »

It is odd there is no mention of DDS. It seems like DDS got the short end of the stick in many ways, with the Fisher book thing, NPR ripping off their designs, the photographer red light thing....hopefully they at least made some $ in the end after all their innovations.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: