The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 15:00:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug-In 35 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Bug-In 35 2010  (Read 30066 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: May 04, 2010, 05:39:07 am »

Sat down and finally had some free time to process a few pictures from yesterday's Bug In 35.

They were handing out these groovy little metal stickers, so I stuck it on my jacket. Am I doing it right?

Diana & I got there in record time with zero traffic and under an hour, amazingly.

Then, she surprised me and served up some eggs over easy on top of two tamales with Tapatio (hot sauce), black pepper, and coffee. So I decided to enhance it all with an ice cold Newcastle barley pop. And, yes... at o'dark thirty (well before 0700hrs), this is perfectly good tasting, healthy, and a great way to start out the day.

D.K.P. line up.

I forget this guy's name... but it's an impressive Type 2 single cab that's regularly seen tearing up the drag strips.

D.K.K. line up.

Christelle, Fabien, & Carlos... out for a stroll and enjoying the scenery, no doubt.

D.D.S.

Seen in the vendor display area.

A closer and more profound look at this economical grocery getter and it's power cosmic.

It just wouldn't be Bug In sans our own Dyno Don.

A Sea Sand '66 and it's original Volkswagen AG window invoice.

Worm, Dee Berg, and her car. All classic components of which are integral parts of Bug In both then and now.

In the swap meet area... for you buggy fans.

Dave Rosique was selling this D.K.W. F800. John Lazenby checks out the 3 cylinder engine parts in the back.

Which is here.

Here, we have some DEEK sitting in Dave's F800, just ruining the ambiance of it all. Then, Mr. Rayburn stepped in to improve matters. Thank God for you, John.

The Powder Puff division was in full force.

A Der Kleiner Kampfwagen lesson on it's history; Mark Ramirez, Roy Maple, Mike Tucker, Joe "Skeeter" Larson, and Jeff Depew. Original founding club members. Very cool to see them all together, enjoying Cal Look VWs, such as it were.

I can't put my finger on it... but there's something about this car just makes sense. If I had the money, I'd buy this car, install a Berg 5 spd. and add a huge Vanagon 4" bore engine. Then, let the good times roll.

Panzer caught outside of his realm! Or, simply enjoying some sweet tamales brought by my girl.

Sometimes... the simplicity of things, such as 48 IDA Weber carburatori design, is simple and elegant. With no metering rods, power valves, rubber seals, or plastic parts. Their accelerator pumps and floats are made from brass, and the throttle shafts ride in precision roller bearings. Simple... yet effective. The following image is a study in that theory which is not convoluted. Just straight economics.

If this is a sign, then 'tis safe to assume that Rich Kimball is pleased with the overall vibe regarding Bug In 35.

Wanna race?

We ended up with 15 cars and still missing a few more. This is turning out to be one big reunion.

C'est une blouse agréable, oui?

Another view of the Panzers.

DEEK Tod scored some nice new Kleber 145 tires. NICE find! Haven't seen those since the '80s.

More swap meet stuff.

So... I checked the Cal Look Rule Book. Turns out, these fit within the parameters that define what can be used. I'm buying 'em.

DEEK Manny won Oldest Car award in the Cal Look division for his '53 Oval. Which, by the way, is a club survivor car with it's original D.K.K. stickers still intact. Congrats, Manny!

Auto Haus, Becker, Brad's... names that some of us grew up with.

She brought her car, here, from the U.K. and enjoyed some nice weather as a result.

SO cool to see Lee in the race line up.

I remember seeing this Monogram model in the stores when I was a kid. Great memories of building many of those with my dad in the '60s & '70s.

To most people, this is most likely not a big deal. To a long time fanatic like me... quite the opposite. I'll leave it there. Draw your own conclusions.

A DEEK and his girl.

It's not much... but it makes me happy that my mid life crisis vehicle is NOT a feckless 'Vette.

Thanks to Rich Kimball, his staff, and everyone that made Bug In 35 happen. We had a good time and we'll see you next year.

Some individuals go to great lengths to work for sushi and/or bier. No self respect, whatsoever.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:22:25 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:50:46 am »

very cool. nice capturing the finer details of the event!

just a couple quick questions though:

1. is this the real deal DDS car?

2. now did you skate the banks this year?  Grin
deano

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:02:18 am »

1. is this the real deal DDS car? YES! Deano Dyno-Soars had a number of racecars, and this one was built after they sold the DDS H/Gas car to Billy Mitchell in '72. Both Dean Lowry and employee Dave Vanderbeke drove this car in I/Gas... Bug-Ins too.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:04:00 am »

I got my car back on Tuesday after selling it during my divorce and worked my ass off this week to make it to the Bug-In. I got there late but was happy to park across from your bitchin' DKK cars. Always enjoy seeing them- DKP & DKK are my favorite cars for life!!!

My car on the way out of the show. Forgot to take a pic inside and was bummed!!!

NEEDED!!! Working '67 Door Handle W/Key! Thanks Jim 310/720-6049
Rennsurfer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:13:14 am »

1. is this the real deal DDS car?

Thanks, Nicolas.

1. Thankfully, Dean (who's way more qualified than myself) answered your query on that one.

2. Not that much... but I managed to get a few rides on the banks. Too many cars and people to run over, so I kept it mostly just commuting from one end of the event to the other. Way better than walking or the tram/shuttle for me.

I got my car back on Tuesday after selling it during my divorce and worked my ass off this week to make it to the Bug-In. I got there late but was happy to park across from your bitchin' DKK cars. Always enjoy seeing them- DKP & DKK are my favorite cars for life!!!

My car on the way out of the show. Forgot to take a pic inside and was bummed!!!

Right on, Jim! Thanks for the kind words and sorry that I didn't make a point of talking to you. Perhaps at the next VW event, yes? Stoked that you managed to get your car back, too.

~Sarge
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:24:13 am »

Love to talk sometime! I'll be at the Wolfsburg West deal on Sat.- and any other upcoming SO-CAL events! Are there any VW cruise nights I should know about? I've been into bugs all my life- ex-wife had a problem with them (even after I built her one 25 years ago when we were dating!) and I didn't have one the last few years. Will keep this one forever!

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:26:22 am »

Did ya noticed that they separated us from DKP??  Huh

I think they were afraid that we'd become allied and take over!  Cheesy

The down side was that I wasn't able to spend near enough time with my DKP friends  Embarrassed

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:27 am »

Love to talk sometime! I'll be at the Wolfsburg West deal on Sat.- and any other upcoming SO-CAL events! Are there any VW cruise nights I should know about? I've been into bugs all my life- ex-wife had a problem with them (even after I built her one 25 years ago when we were dating!) and I didn't have one the last few years. Will keep this one forever!

There's always Nick's 1st Sunday of the month. Saw your '67... great canvas to start with!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:36:35 am »

Thanks! Rust-Free, No Accidents. Everything works! - will enjoy it for a while and then blow it apart for paint (Ruby Red) and big motor. Will have to find another '67 driver first because that's more fun than anything!  Grin

Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:49 am »

Cool, Jim. Every first Sunday of each month, D.K.P. hosts their Cruise Night at Nick's in Fullerton (except for Bug In, the VW Classic, and sometimes, Sunday holidays). So if you can make the drive, c'mon out. I like your last sentence... KEEP THAT CAR.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:36:23 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 06:50:24 am »

I live in Corona now so I CAN MAKE IT!  Cheesy

LuftsickTero

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:17:25 am »

Great photos and report as usual   Smiley

I can't put my finger on it... but there's something about this car just makes sense. If I had the money, I'd buy this car, install a Berg 5 spd. and add a huge Vanagon 4" bore engine. Then, let the good times roll.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:27:51 am by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:29:30 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one, Tero. But I was referring to the wheels. Other than that, it WOULD make a great 4" engine car in my opinion. And let us replace the p-word with weathered or aged. That's much easier on the eyes/ears.

Grin

That other word just sounds plain ghey.

~Sarge
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:39:05 am »

Hmmm... how much for those Gasburners? Or was they sold?

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 13:09:46 pm »

I don't know, sir. I just figured that someone on this site would appreciate them for what they are/were.

~Sarge
Cornpanzer

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 13:24:30 pm »

I cant believe that guy won a dog for "Oldest Cal-Look"!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 13:30:19 pm »

Grin

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 13:36:13 pm »

I don't know, sir. I just figured that someone on this site would appreciate them for what they are/were.

They would look OK on my patina looker... sorry.... weathered and aged looker. If anyone know what happened to them or know the seller and/or the price please let me know.

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 13:39:00 pm »

already at home today working tomorow will be hard and my mind will stay in california for few time
very good time here
cool to put face on name
see you next year guys
fabian I wish you a nice end trip in socal my friend
danny thanks for all and your hospitality
kobus mick, nice work on the magazine
can't wait to see your complet cover events report dudes
thanks to russel to bring the vw legend alive
madfrog

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 16:19:58 pm »

C'est une blouse agréable, oui?

Oh oui ! 

And we even have a matching car now Cheesy See you at Bonneville soon...

Thanks for this great event coverage Mark, and very nice meeting you!

madfrog

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 16:23:25 pm by madfrog » Logged

Moderation, even in moderation.
SO-CAL Speed Shop L.A.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 16:26:02 pm »

They would look OK on my patina looker... sorry.... weathered and aged looker. If anyone know what happened to them or know the seller and/or the price please let me know.

That stuff belongs to Chris Morley from Redondo Beach.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 20:03:53 pm »

Thanks for the report Mark  Cool

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 21:22:23 pm »

DEEK Manny won Oldest Car award in the Cal Look division for his '53 Oval. Which, by the way, is a club survivor car with it's original D.K.K. stickers still intact. Congrats, Manny!

Congrats Fellow DEEK Manny!!  VERY COOL  Cool  Cool  Cool
btw... Hershey's styling in that EMPI bag  Wink
low oval
DKK

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 01:23:03 am »

here's some photo's I took.

I now think ghia's are way more rare than vert's.

following Steve W., Lisa and Scott

can never pass up a shot of good ole american iron, even if it is a ford.

15 cars and growing

"and that's when the cops showed up"
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 02:30:40 am »

Fredual ! that red 61 in the swap meet is Bruce's from ROLLING'S AUTO (DSK CAR)
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 03:02:48 am »

Grin

HA! Good one, dude.

I now think ghia's are way more rare than vert's.

HAHA!! Another good one. Really dig that shot of our cars, Jim. Glad that you captured that after Brian's white car was in the line up. Better than my shot.

Thanks, everyone, for the nice words. Very nice to meet a few of you, too. Madfrog, Gunter (again), Fabian (again), Demetri, and anyone else that I forget. So cool to see many Europeans making the long trek over here for these events. Always good see the person behind the user names from The Lounge.

Cool, Mark... thanks. I just really dug the way the wheels looked on that car. Of course, I'm rather biased.

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 03:40:25 am »

Thanks for the shots everybody.  Those of us "out of the area" really appreciate it.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 03:51:40 am »

Here's a few mo'
The DKK family hangin out in the sun, good food good drinks and of course most of you know by now........ great cookies.

P.S. today there was a crazy Belgian guy drinking beer from HB to Dana Point.  Took Fabian to the Swallows Inn in Capistrano as the finale'.  HAH!  If any of you have ever been you are probably laughing right now.  Classic!

P.S.S. Ernies amazing green Ghia is for sale for CHEAP.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:59:42 am by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:39 am »

Cool, Mark... thanks. I just really dug the way the wheels looked on that car. Of course, I'm rather biased.

[/quote] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Thanks Mark and Mark,
They're just some rusty old Mangles I scuffed up and shot with Duplicolor rattle can. Looking for some cheap 5 1/2's for the rear.
BTW it's not a DSK car YET, I do have stickers but I don't feel it's worthy. Should be painted by next year and have House of Shubee Horsepower!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:19:37 am by 61SNRF » Logged
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 04:47:27 am »

I really liked that '66, too Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: