The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:50:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what kind of wheels for your car????
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: what kind of wheels for your car????  (Read 407457 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #390 on: November 24, 2009, 13:55:01 pm »

I bougt them in Germany last summer

size is 5.5 15 INCH

No manufacter inside

They fit an original fush hupcap  (see pics)

Thanks for the reply. I really like those. Is there any way anyone can find out who made those and what car they were originally intended for? I'm guessing that lug pattern fits VW & Porsche 914, yes?
mark , a friend of me own a set of those wheels , he don't know anything about those one , just he pick up those one  on a 914, who was imported from the US 20 years ago Wink
fabs

Mike Z?

Somehow those wheels look more European than American.

yes tero it's mike  , that what he sais to me the last time i asked him about them and the same written on is blog  http://karmann34.skynetblogs.be/archive-month/2006-03 check at the 3/4 pages in the bottom  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
MacRavens

« Reply #391 on: November 24, 2009, 14:20:15 pm »

While I respect you opinion fully, and I could possibly be provoked enough to give the same opinion while I'm drunk.... Wink

But I'm not drunk now... so here goes:
One can love the looks of the cal-look cars, or one can love the concept of the cal-look movement... call it the "life style", or just the thought of how it would be to be in a young growing innovative crowd back in the day.

It's been said time and time again by the the cal look guys of old, they didn't know what they started...  they didn't do it by a set of rules... if they were the rule-following-kind-of-guys, think about it, if they were rule lovers, we would not be having this discussion, and this website would not exist. Wink

We all choose the challenges we want, some might like the challenge of making a photo-copy-look car, others, like me, is more intrigued by mental games in the line of "how would my car look if I was the foreign kid on the block somewhere in SoCal back in the day".

By the way, there was also other clubs than DKP back in the day... even thou it doesn't look like it in some books... and their cars didn't necessarily look exactly the same as the DKP cars...

Best regards
Jon
- In love with the concept

What i'm wondering is since when did ugly wheels become cool in the name of being different?

Rol, Mass is said!

Hi Jon,
Before I begin to drink to forget what you just wrote...  Grin

I want to try to explain the difference between two ways to innovate :
One who has done well to innovate in the Look and has the gift for this ! He got it because he knows his classics and inspired by other movements Hot Rodding, Drag Racing....
And the second, who does things he likes without references and put on his car things he found by chance (or following bad influences).
No need to be drunk to see or understand the difference.

the cal look guys of old, they didn't know what they started... they didn't do it by a set of rules... if they were the rule-following-kind-of-guys, think about it, if they were rule lovers, we would not be having this discussion, and this website would not exist. Wink
Dare you say, men of the prehistory of Cal-look don't follow rules ??  They did everything without any inspiration ... by chance ??
Wow... So, the Cal Look could emerge from anywhere ! Why the Look did'nt started in New Guinea, Deep Tanzania, North Papouland or Eastern Mongolia ??
The first Cal-Lookers, young guys, grew up bathed in the ambience of US muscle cars and Hot Rod, riding in Orange County in the sixties ! When pre-dkp members began to modify there beetles, they had the right vocabulary and turned it in their own language ! ...who became California Look rules.

By the way, there was also other clubs than DKP back in the day... even thou it doesn't look like it in some books... and their cars didn't necessarily look exactly the same as the DKP cars...
No boubts about that ! But DKP where the first and the best ! They give the way to follow for us and for the other vw clubs back in the day too...

PS : Free for everybody to believe Melbert or Ronal is "cal Look" !  For me ... no way ! Wink

Cheers Smiley
Mike

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #392 on: November 24, 2009, 14:48:00 pm »

now this is entertainment, even more so when such words are spoken by men with, dare I say, trim  Cheesy

but please do carry on with this topic that was once the epitomy of diversity, from flying saucers to "gasburners", and let's all spill our coffees and chuckle while reading.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
MacRavens

« Reply #393 on: November 24, 2009, 15:19:06 pm »

now this is entertainment, even more so when such words are spoken by men with, dare I say, trim  Cheesy

but please do carry on with this topic that was once the epitomy of diversity, from flying saucers to "gasburners", and let's all spill our coffees and chuckle while reading.

Cheesy

MacRavens

« Reply #394 on: November 24, 2009, 15:31:23 pm »

More references ?

Same origin ?
Same year ?
Same color ?
Same wheels ?
Same spirit ?
... Same driver ?
Smiley

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #395 on: November 24, 2009, 15:36:04 pm »

Grin

Mike, you are off course right about having a plan from the start of the build, and as I see it, you need a plan even more if you are pushing the boundaries of the look...

If you don't people can start to say: that's a German looker, that's a stock car with cal-look wheels, or if you have to much chrome and bling combined with to low rear end, Resto!

But there is no escaping the fact that this needs to be thought of to be able come up with something people see as a cal looker... even if doesn't have a too high ass and BRM's

This is the difference in building a cool car and a un-cool car (both lookers), and I for one think our discussion is another...

About when it all came to be, you can't claim to say that Greg Aronson built his car by rules, it sure doesn't look like it in the Keith's book.
Ok he might have been wanting to have his cal look like the drag racers of that time, or he was looking at the rodders or something or other.... but that's taking inspiration, not copying...

Just for laughs, if you were to do the same today, taking inspiration from the import dragracers... you would have slicks on the front and a cone filter sicking where the right headlight would be....    I don't think you would get a following out of that

Best regards
Jon
- still in love

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 15:44:22 pm by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ESH

« Reply #396 on: November 24, 2009, 16:35:05 pm »

...  if you were to do the same today, taking inspiration from the import dragracers... you would have slicks on the front and a cone filter sicking where the right headlight would be....    I don't think you would get a following out of that ...

Shocked

Spindle mount rears?
MacRavens

« Reply #397 on: November 24, 2009, 17:26:13 pm »

About when it all came to be, you can't claim to say that Greg Aronson built his car by rules, it sure doesn't look like it in the Keith's book.
Ok he might have been wanting to have his cal look like the drag racers of that time, or he was looking at the rodders or something or other.... but that's taking inspiration, not copying...

Just for laughs, if you were to do the same today, taking inspiration from the import dragracers... you would have slicks on the front and a cone filter sicking where the right headlight would be....    I don't think you would get a following out of that

Best regards
Jon
- still in love

Agree with you.
Still...
Greg Aronson is known to be the first to apply the following recipe to a usual Beetle. (and God bless him about that, he change millions lives, as mine !) Greg knew the recipie perhaps because he plays whit US cars too Wink

VW Drag Race cars and Hot Rod recipie where (for most of them) :
front lowered / dechomed / Bigger tires back - small front / Big engine...

And as far as I knew, Cal-Look application do exactly the same !

Jon, tell me, what's difference between inspiration and copying ? Smiley I thing you are playing whit words, but if you want inspiration is ok for me.

Today the "neo" Cal looker Still inspired by Drag Racing and Hot-Rodding Like Pat McDermott 850. More like hitech mood. See Shrek's car too...

Best regards.
Mike Walravens

bugnut68

« Reply #398 on: November 24, 2009, 17:29:34 pm »

I've got stock steelies on my '70 with no hubcaps at the moment... boring from a stylistic perspective, but the significance is they came off my late buddy's '73 Bug.  He passed away in 2005, and I acquired the wheels from a mutual friend.
nicolas

« Reply #399 on: November 24, 2009, 20:12:24 pm »

wow! did shrek lose some weight and go to Thailand?  Grin
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #400 on: November 24, 2009, 20:59:00 pm »

Big Wheels?  Wazzat?

I mostly agree with the list.  I'd mix it up a bit, but yeah, pretty much.  Chromies were probably the most affordable of them all.  That's why I ran them on my first "real" car.  Then I was lucky enough to get a set of in the box original 5 spokes from Dee Berg for $50 each for the ol pervertable.  If only now...... ha.

Shubee how much were you buying or selling sets of BRM's for back then?  They were WAY out of my range.......  You had more than anyone for a spell.

A set of "found" alloys went for about $450 and 2.0's went for about $350 +/-.  Rivi's and chromies new were about $200.  No "borrowed" BRM's or anything Empi as those were protected as already on another brothers VW.  Borrowed wheels only came off of old Porsche's.
Back in the Day I was Buying BRM's for $350.00 to $500.00 A set when I worked at Auto Haus in Van Nuys I was Buying Alloys for $350.00 a set taking them to Al Reed for polishing and painting then reselling them Most of the time I would drop off a set when I picked up a set

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Eddie DVK

« Reply #401 on: November 24, 2009, 21:17:22 pm »

More references ?

Whooo, that s A very good looking car, the wheels suite the car perfect.

Kind regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2009, 23:19:05 pm »

That black '67/911 combo is awesome !

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #403 on: November 25, 2009, 00:24:42 am »

Just for laughs, if you were to do the same today, taking inspiration from the import dragracers... you would have slicks on the front and a cone filter sicking where the right headlight would be.... 

HAHAHA!!! EPIC post, Jon. Thanks for the afternoon post werke laughs.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #404 on: November 25, 2009, 01:01:51 am »

VW Drag Race cars and Hot Rod recipie where (for most of them) :
front lowered / dechomed / Bigger tires back - small front / Big engine...

Of course, there is a touch of Darwin to this... or at least it used to be, first big engine, big tires to handle the power, lower the front to cheat the wind, dechromed to cheat the wind some more, and small front tires to awoid creating alot of drag...   this usually fits into any motor sport... don't bring more than you need to get the job done

Greg Aronson is known to be the first to apply the following recipe to a usual Beetle. (and God bless him about that, he change millions lives, as mine !) Greg knew the recipie perhaps because he plays whit US cars too Wink

Agree, but he didn't do it to fit into a crowd... as he was in fact the first...  No way was his aim to build a "cal-looker", his aim was to build a car that was him...  a free spirit (that sounds cheezy), or a thinker...  he did it without any crowd to cheer him on... in fact, he probably meet a few that told him that he was ruining the car...  after all "trim is nice"... thank god he didn't listen...  Grin

People really should do a lot less listening when it comes to style Roll Eyes

Jon, tell me, what's difference between inspiration and copying ? Smiley I thing you are playing whit words, but if you want inspiration is ok for me.

To me copying is using the same wheels because "they are the same"....  to be inspired is to fit wide wheels because you need it for the engine, like you mentioned with the hot rod scenario
But please remember that English isn't even my second language... Wink

Today the "neo" Cal looker Still inspired by Drag Racing and Hot-Rodding Like Pat McDermott 850. More like hitech mood. See Shrek's car too...

The word "neo" gives a nice twist to this discussion... and the word is needed since 15 years....   but I still miss a phrase like "faux old school " cal-look...  and I use "Cal-look" in the loosest way possible...

Whats in a name... really...?

Best regards
Jon
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 18:39:49 pm by JHU » Logged

MacRavens

« Reply #405 on: November 25, 2009, 16:33:00 pm »

People really should do a lot less listening when it comes to style Roll Eyes

... It's depends who you are and who's talking !
... It depends if you are the next Greg Aronson or if you want to be the next Greg Aronson. Smiley

Whats in a name... really...?

Jon,
A name is important if you do not want to be in something undefined !
An undetermined position requires to accept anything !

The Cal-look "Classic" has been established in Feb. 75. Since everyone knows what it is ! And everyone knew Cal-Look dont accept anything !

In my opinion, the Cal-look is something definite but shifting because every day new cars come out.
Some try to find the limits to stand out. You're in or you're out. But not all two at once !

Who are able to give limits to say what must exists or, give new definitions to the emerging styles ??
Probably History will. Some remain in the memories as they are given a direction who inspire the majority...

Jon, I think I undersand your point of view.
Leave the door open to everything and anything just for the pleasure of discussing, this is probably the purpose of a forum ... and some times, something hapend... You are like a gold digger whose forum is the sieve ! Grin

I think it's time to get back to basics and return to our garages to polish our aluminum alloys (thx diederick:) before winter arrives ! Wink

Thank you for historical this discussion ! Cool

Mike Walravens
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:50:32 am by MacRavens » Logged

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #406 on: November 25, 2009, 17:19:43 pm »

polished alloys?  Shocked

Tongue

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
MacRavens

« Reply #407 on: November 25, 2009, 17:36:22 pm »

yes, Sorry bout that !  Roll Eyes

nicolas

« Reply #408 on: November 25, 2009, 21:07:33 pm »

yes, Sorry bout that !  Roll Eyes

they look good in the article though.  Wink
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #409 on: November 26, 2009, 21:18:59 pm »

Ah... the endless discussions with Mike...  I now call him the Mollah of Cal-Look.

I think it all comes down to this:
Is Cal-look a style that is now definitely set in stone, or is it ever evolving like it was at the beginning?

Mike strongly believes in the former (a lot of other people too...).
I don't (errr, and a lot of other people too...)

Wink 
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #410 on: November 26, 2009, 23:23:45 pm »

Well put Yvre!

And as Mike wrote, there would be no big point in this web page, if it was set in stone....   except showing what kind of beer we drink...  Grin

ESH

« Reply #411 on: November 27, 2009, 00:23:52 am »

... And as Mike wrote, there would be no big point in this web page, if it was set in stone....   except showing what kind of beer we drink ...  Grin

Where's that forum?  Cheesy
Gavin - DVKK

« Reply #412 on: November 27, 2009, 06:42:54 am »

What you wrap the rim with equally important...
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2009, 09:52:17 am »

... And as Mike wrote, there would be no big point in this web page, if it was set in stone....   except showing what kind of beer we drink ...  Grin

We have had to keep it secret...  Wink

MacRavens

« Reply #414 on: November 27, 2009, 13:34:06 pm »

You must not look very far ! Smiley
Back to basics !!!

Mike

Bugsy

« Reply #415 on: November 27, 2009, 15:28:52 pm »

Ahh! That beer could make any V-dub look like "Callook" to me.  Grin
Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #416 on: November 27, 2009, 22:47:39 pm »

My car had American Racing Wheels , 8 spokes with threaded snout for the hex cap
ESH

« Reply #417 on: November 27, 2009, 23:51:57 pm »

... We have had to keep it secret...

Fair play, you can't let the crazies in on that one!  Shocked

... You must not look very far ...

Look? I can't see anything once let alone pay attention.  Sad

Is that a crate of Okrasa cranks?   Smiley

... Ahh! That beer could make any V-dub look like "Callook" to me ...

Even a bus?  Tongue  Grin

... My car had American Racing Wheels , 8 spokes with threaded snout for the hex cap ...

That's a shot to be reckoned with and a very good looking car, do you have any more shots of it?  Cool
Stephan S

« Reply #418 on: November 28, 2009, 00:01:54 am »

Ron, great to see you posting here!

Der Kleiner Panzers
MacRavens

« Reply #419 on: November 28, 2009, 00:55:06 am »

Ah... the endless discussions with Mike...  I now call him the Mollah of Cal-Look.

I think it all comes down to this:
Is Cal-look a style that is now definitely set in stone, or is it ever evolving like it was at the beginning?

Mike strongly believes in the former (a lot of other people too...).
I don't (errr, and a lot of other people too...)

Wink 

So Yvre... whats' your wheels agan ? Same Fuchsas "Mollah" Mike or what ??  Roll Eyes
I think we are in the same mosque my friend !  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: