The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:19:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what kind of wheels for your car????
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: what kind of wheels for your car????  (Read 407428 times)
bluestar

D.A.S member

« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:34 am »

make your choice !!!!!

Zündfunke

« Reply #631 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:32 am »

KinkyMicks?!

BURN OUT Syndrom
MacRavens

« Reply #632 on: June 10, 2010, 15:58:56 pm »

Could we use a BRM on a German Look ? ....nop !
Like we cant use ATS to make a Cal-Look...
(real) german lookers only care about the weight off the wheels, brakes they can put behind it and the tire they can fit on it. look only comes after that. Roll Eyes
but i think you can make a nice callooker with ats wheels, just like the ronal wheel. they werent there in cali in the 70'ies, but they look good.
like this one from Swen hensel.
Smiley

Thank you Kris, you took a realy good exemple !
I dont think you can ever make a "nice Calloker" whit Ats or Ronal !!!!! Because they werent there in Cali in the 70ies ! They dont smell "California Dreaming "! No sun, no palmtrees only heavy european clouds ! Nico, It’s not a rule but it’s so easy to undersand !  Smiley
They are not and they never going to be in the California look wheels !  It’s whatever-look or Anycoutry-look but… not Cal in front of it !
This red one … cool car but … at the end rwong wheels and koch grilles ! Best option do a Germanlook !

This trade is going worse and worse !
the question "was what kind of wheel for your cal look ?" and not "what wheels you cant put on a cal look ?" ! Smiley

You're maybe right. That's your opinion, not a rule.

I believe if the wheel goes with the look, who cares? If you want old school, then you limited to only Alloys, Empi 5 spoke, Empi 8 spoke, Centerline, Porsche wide 5 chrome's, and so on. I believe Speedwell was also asking cause of other options that are out there now days and some of classic wheels that come out from the graves so to speak. If you want to get technical, most cars out there are not OG Cal-Look, look at the motors! MSD Dist., with 6AL box's, different breathers that have come out, pulley's, Wisco pistons, and so on! So that means the car's that are Cal-Look on out side are not Cal-Look on inside, meaning motors. I believe my own car is in that category. Maybe be Cal-look on outside, but I feel it's not on the inside. I think we are all that in some degree. It's like when I go to Nicks for the DKP Cruz nights. I see how they are put together and how clean they are, and the craftmanship that went into those car's, not judging them on how Cal-Look or unCal-Look they are. So to say BRM's for German look and ATS for Cal-Look, WHO CARE's! As long as it looks right right, and you like it. Now that's my opinion! So bring on the ATS's or what ever you got!
Ted
Ted the problem is thoses wheels are not going whit the look !
You can imagine all T1 engine it must be Clean and performant (no T4 doghouse). Whatever we are talking about wheels ! You can make a nex topic about the cal look engine and interiors… I experct the worse too Smiley
People who think they can justify all kind of wheels you can put on a beetle : like this :
“Ok, I don’t want to be like everybody, I can put on my decromed Beetle some VW or Porsche lokalike Volvo, Fiat, Lada, Lambogini Sout African aftermarket and so on wheels from "THE" seventies… are going in the rwong way !” 

Go classic Cal-Look wheels no Earth Whild Custom wheels look !
Mike

This trade is going worse and worse !
the question "was what kind of wheel for your cal look ?" and not "what wheels you cant put on a cal look ?" ! Smiley

I believe if the wheel goes with the look, who cares? As long as it looks right right, and you like it. Now that's my opinion! So bring on the ATS's or what ever you got!
Ted

Aaaaarg !  Shocked
Mike
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 16:10:30 pm by MacRavens » Logged

qubek

« Reply #633 on: June 10, 2010, 16:41:28 pm »

I dont think you can ever make a "nice Calloker" whit Ats or Ronal !!!!! Because they werent there in Cali in the 70ies ! They dont smell "California Dreaming "! No sun, no palmtrees only heavy european clouds ! Nico, It’s not a rule but it’s so easy to undersand !  Smiley

And is it difficult to understand that what you have written above is just your personal opinion?
If for you a cal-looker is a Bug restored to what you think could be build in a certain place and in a specified time period (60s, 70s, 80s, take your pick) than fine.
But there are people up there, for whom cal-look is about fast, drag racing oriented street Bugs, and are less into replicating historical vehicles in every details. You can treat them as "infidels" together with all the other "factions" of cal-look movement - your choice.
But - believe me or not - even if you are convinced that you are right and those with different opinions are wrong, that does not necessarily has to be true Wink

I like ATS wheels. They are good quality, available in various sizes and offsets, and those offsets are usually much "smarter" than those you can find on Empi5s or BRMs. This means that you can sometimes avoid things like shortening the beam. This means that you can use 5,5 rims with smaller ET at the back and higher at front and "fill the wheel arches" batter etc

Would someone "back in the days" reject a wheel which is good, which he likes (I understand that not everybody has to) just because it was not available 40 years earlier in a certain place in a word? My guess is that "the old, original guys" ware not thinking about things like that a lot. Am I wrong?

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #634 on: June 10, 2010, 22:56:56 pm »

Nico, It’s not a rule but it’s so easy to undersand !  Smiley

I understand what's your point, and it make sense. But I like to see different cars, different details that make a car "unique", that would be boring for me to have 22 pages of BRMs and Fuchs.
That's a matter of personnal taste, some like, some don't like, but if things are done properly and with good taste, that's fine for me. Wink

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #635 on: June 11, 2010, 02:15:48 am »

I understand what's your point, and it make sense. But I like to see different cars, different details that make a car "unique", that would be boring for me to have 22 pages of BRMs and Fuchs.
That's a matter of personnal taste, some like, some don't like, but if things are done properly and with good taste, that's fine for me. Wink
I so agree.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
volkskris

« Reply #636 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:00 am »

Dude,
you should know thats not a cal look,
its got trim AND koch grilles  Shocked Shocked
just messin' with ya  Grin
you're right Grin, but i found a better example (also on the site of the beetle factory Tongue) only the beam is to narrow
it's Jens fenke's car
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:34:37 am by volkskris » Logged
MacRavens

« Reply #637 on: June 11, 2010, 11:06:08 am »

Nico, Qbek, I think there is so many ways to make a nice Cal-look without using Ats, Ronal  or other out of "the book" wheels.
I think, reject a "good" wheel because she is not a part of California look spirit is a Must do thing !
To categorize : Cal-Look, German look, French-look, Resto-cal, VolksRod, Hi-tech, Custom and so on, you must have to follow some rules or what Huh?

Ats, Ronal are German-look wheels ! Or what ? And when you put it on a beetle you want to call Cal-look... it don't work. And it never be ! You must invent a new name or change the wheels  Wink

I tell you the bothom of my thinking.
When I cross a "Cal-looked" beetle what's hapend ?
I see if I feel like in California when I watch it. Did she was look like an SoCal import ? If it look like, thats California-look for me.
She go fast ? Better !!!

But it must feel she groes up under Orange county palmtrees shadow ! Whit Ronal, this feeling never, never hapend !
So, if it's not hapend, there is a mistake ! And the mistake is ofthen the wheels. If it "smels", Belgium, Francel, Holland or Germany... because of the wheels, it's a fake one. Do not forget, for the look, wheels are the most impotant choice whit color. If you miss it, you are on the side !

Taking Ronal or Ats in Europe is taking the easy way... to put aluminium wheels...
There is perhaps more than 30 different "cal-look" wheels you can choose. Hundred thousand of colors, VW, Porsche or not, can be choose to be in the look. But you need to be smart or to spend money.
So, Nico, dont tell me you need to put rwong look wheels to see differents "Cal-looks" !!! Please !!!

Every body knew DKP ever show the way of California-Look ! Have you ever seen a DKP car on Ronal or ats Huh And even they can buy them... I am sure they dont put them !

Think it your way... its Custom !
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
This is my way, a bridge between my garage and Santa Monica blvd.
So every body his own way to go... somewere... Smiley
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:13:02 am by MacRavens » Logged

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #638 on: June 11, 2010, 12:24:18 pm »

I so agree.

i think we've had this discussion before, and it's clear you wanna see the same car fivefold because you only approve of 4-5 wheels.
so what if they weren't around back then, that may be your niche of the look, but were autometer gauges around in the 70ies? yet, 75% of the lookers these days have one, are you campaigning against that as well? i don't like them, i think they ruin the beige '62/'63 in your club, but so what.

come on, broaden your horizon and appreciate some creativity...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
MacRavens

« Reply #639 on: June 11, 2010, 14:29:24 pm »

[/quote]
come on, broaden your horizon and appreciate some creativity...
[/quote]

Diedrick,

Everyone knew Cal-look, is all about creativity...

But, some initiatives have become classics forever and folowed  and others are not because they are... outside. It become Custom side.
Some Custom Guys believe they are cal-look guys... Tongue

We talk here about outside wheels choice. That's the point. It's not a small detail it's essential to give The Look !

If you think like you said "... you approve 4 or 5 wheels". I truly understand there is not a lot of choice and the horizon is not open ! But... its not true...

Let see... BRM, Empi 5 spoke, Fuchs, Gaz, Centreline, Ansen,T-Trust, Crestline, Gt, ET, Rader, American racing, Cragar, Erco, Sprintstar 5...and good repros... I forgot probably some but any of them you can polished/chromed or/and painted ... you have a lot of choice in da house ! Some give a classics look, some are more racing, some more US...

In the Cal look wheels File you can put : Nostalgia Drag, Pré cal-look, Cal look (dechromed), Old-School... All 3 DKP gen. All of them have to follow wheels rules.

[/quote]

i think we've had this discussion before, and it's clear you wanna see the same car fivefold because you only approve of 4-5 wheels.
so what if they weren't around back then, that may be your niche of the look, but were autometer gauges around in the 70ies? yet, 75% of the lookers these days have one, are you campaigning against that as well? i don't like them, i think they ruin the beige '62/'63 in your club, but so what.

[/quote]

No campaigning about gadges... We are talking about wheels or what ? Smiley

Let see, you are right... the 63 is truly ruined by the gauge... ! No kidding !  Roll Eyes

qubek

« Reply #640 on: June 11, 2010, 14:55:35 pm »

I disagree with you.
Most probably we are unable to convince each other as far as this subject is concerned. Hope that this doesn't bother you.
You can even call me a custom guy believing to be a cal-look guy. I don't mind. I'm not into categorizing, labeling and names too much.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #641 on: June 11, 2010, 17:15:02 pm »

... but were autometer gauges around in the 70ies

Uh... yes actually. I had an Autometer tach in my '67 Mustang. Bought the car in '75 and sold it in '77 to buy my '67.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #642 on: June 11, 2010, 17:21:46 pm »

Who cares about which wheels? It's your car, build it how you want. Problem solved.

Rick's right... I remember seeing most of my friends' U.S. muscle cars in high school ('78-'80) with Autometer gauges. I'm glad that my childhood took place when it did. Got to see some cool stuff and have great memories of it all.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #643 on: June 11, 2010, 17:24:46 pm »

Who cares about which wheels? It's your car, build it how you want. Problem solved.

Rick's right... I remember seeing most of my friends' U.S. muscle cars in high school ('78-'80) with Autometer gauges. I'm glad that my childhood took place when it did. Got to see some cool stuff and have great memories of it all.

If you can remember... you weren't really there!  Tongue  Grin Grin

Looking forward to seeing you at Nicks but I won't be able to scoot out of work as early as I planned!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Robert G

« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2010, 20:25:30 pm »

Finished my new wheels today.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2010, 23:25:25 pm »

Cool Cool

Peter

« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2010, 11:16:56 am »

Werent Gasburners 'accepted' only in the 90ies?
Gary Justus

« Reply #647 on: June 16, 2010, 21:54:47 pm »

While it's still on the streets, I'll use these........
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #648 on: June 17, 2010, 16:30:13 pm »

Rennsurfer

« Reply #649 on: June 30, 2010, 14:15:40 pm »

Thank you, Mr. Rosique for the fifth/spare 4½" wheel, my friend. Got it media blasted, painted, and a tire mounted, finally.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #650 on: June 30, 2010, 14:44:31 pm »

Thank you, Mr. Rosique for the fifth/spare 4½" wheel, my friend. Got it media blasted, painted, and a tire mounted, finally.

Looks good Mark.. glad it worked for you.
I think we're up to three fish taco's now Grin

Rennsurfer

« Reply #651 on: June 30, 2010, 20:09:47 pm »

Thanks and... just name your price, my friend.

Grin

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #652 on: June 30, 2010, 20:31:05 pm »

Thanks and... just name your price, my friend.

Grin

Three fish tacos...  and bier... LOTS of bier  Grin
Rennsurfer

« Reply #653 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:38 am »

Done and done. Now... when/where?

Grin

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #654 on: July 01, 2010, 15:15:06 pm »

Done and done. Now... when/where?

Grin

When you least expect it, your time will come Grasshopper.
 Cool
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2010, 16:18:56 pm »

Finished my new wheels today.

Verry cool!! I've got my pedrini's detailed the same. I only have the version with the loger spokes... How do yoy deal with the porsche centercaps?? on my car i can't drive those because they hit the dustcaps at front and the drum center nut at rear....

Dennis
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #656 on: July 01, 2010, 17:08:29 pm »

Those have got to be the nicest wheels like that I have seen, Good job !

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
nicolas

« Reply #657 on: July 01, 2010, 22:24:19 pm »

This is my way, a bridge between my garage and Santa Monica blvd.
So every body his own way to go... somewere... Smiley

your garage is close to that bridge? wow, i passed it every day last year i had to go to work. never saw that car parked there though  Tongue
Rennsurfer

« Reply #658 on: July 02, 2010, 00:26:39 am »

When you least expect it, your time will come Grasshopper.
 Cool

Duly noted as such.

I agree with Danny... these are gonna look SO nice on a Cal Looker. Good lookin' wheel, right there.

~Sarge
2manytoys

« Reply #659 on: July 02, 2010, 06:10:22 am »

Not sure if these are cal look...they say American something or other on the sticker.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: