The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:15:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350709 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  would you use these??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: would you use these??  (Read 3097 times)
beatnik beetle

« on: January 07, 2013, 13:26:56 pm »

Hello and a happy new year to you lovely loungers..ok a friend of mine has bought a set of original Radars (unrestored) and a) as far as i know they are really difficult to restore and b) what are they like to use on the gnarly streets of London town...If he'd of asked I would have told him just to buy a set of JGE's..I've NEVER liked the idea of a riveted steel outer rim with an Aluminium centre..and they were joined getting on for  50 years ago Shocked Shocked...what's your thoughts folks?...thanks...Si
Matty c

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 16:50:28 pm »

Hey si, as cool as they are I think you're right to be dubious. If we were talking perfectly flat Tarmac I'd say use em but as we all know London isn't famed for the condition of its roads with potholes & speed bumps everywhere  Angry if it were me I'd sell em & pay mr g a visit.
Matt.

67heaven
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 17:32:52 pm »

Si, the common thing is to drill out the rivets, get the rims rechromed, the centres detailed and then bolt them back together with high-tensile bolts and nuts. Know if several that have been done that way. It's also the only way you can effectively rechrome the rims – and it's arguably stringer than the original.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
K-Roc

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 18:35:22 pm »

Hey Keith the letter O is one more over on the keyboard! ( ya missed twice on that last reply of yours... Smiley )

Cheers!
beatnik beetle

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:13:54 am »

folks..we are all on the same page me think's..He's talking about doing something ahem "different" with them rather than restoring them Shocked...he's a  designer so we will see..you know me..I'd say either restore or just go for JGE's but, some folks don't think before they buy Smiley

Thanks for your help..not sure about the last reply though Embarrassed
kaferdave

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 17:40:03 pm »

I've been running a set of restored EMPI-style Raders (with the peak on the spoke) for over 10 years now....done the way Keith said to do it. Mine have a tendency to lose a little air pressure over the weeks and months, but then, I am not running tubes.
Mine were done by Stockton Wheel, but it took about 18 months, and the owner (now deceased) told me to get them out of his shop, never ever bring in another set, and don't tell anyone who restored them....and you might want to ask Deano Kirsten privately about Stockton Wheel...another guy that was restoring them was David Mayes in Oregon, but, unfortunately, he is deceased, as well...Mine have held up to some fairly spirited driving in a 2017cc engine, IDA's, Engle 120, Performance Tech V-7 heads, etc etc. and a 3:88 R&P gearbox and 205-70-15 rear tires...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 15:08:57 pm by kaferdave » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: