The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:18:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350712 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bug's for Breakfast 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Bug's for Breakfast 2012  (Read 52111 times)
Hecker

« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2012, 04:57:03 am »

Hey Everyone --- time for Breakfast !!! This saturday morning 8:30
RUBY'S Diner in Whittier.  Cheesy

Bring a friend !!!   Grin

johnb, bring that white car out, let's take a look at it !!  Cool
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2012, 20:41:29 pm »

A new work schedule allows me to attend this month, so looking forward to seeing a good turn-out of regulars.
Always welcoming new enthusiasts too, Bug or not, so if it rolls on wheels and you are proud of it bring it on down!

P.S. John, don't forget your camera Cheesy
edcraig

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2012, 03:48:14 am »

Sorry guys.  I can'y make it this month.  I'm already committed to a car show over in La Habra.  You guys have a great time!

...Ed.
Tim Walton

« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2012, 04:47:15 am »

Sorry I will not be able to make it.  I have two grandson's staying over this weekend.
Have a good time.
See you soon.
Tim

Tim's Toy
Der Kleiner Panzers
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2012, 07:03:05 am »

X3, can't make it either, have a motor to build, finish my disk brake install job, finish my firewall, finish my oil cooler install, again, and install my new motor. Shocked A busy man! LOL!!! Cool

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Hecker

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2012, 04:44:36 am »

John L to Hecker .... What can be done to make this function better attended?

Hecker to John L --- you tell me, we changed to the second saturday to please some,
but it seems like we lost more than we gained... Shocked

So if anyone has ideas I will be happy to listen !!! Grin

First Sat, Second Sat, Third, Fourth, ? Change of location??

Earlier time?? Later time ??    Lets hear it So Cal Loungers !!!  Cheesy
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2012, 06:48:16 am »

Hey Ron and John, well, to me it's just scheduling of attendees, for me it was just projects that need to be finished. And one is to complete my car. We have Drag Day coming up and other VW events, I know at least two. Anyway, I have have lost NO interest in attending, it's in my back yard pretty much. But sometimes a different venue may help. I know of a Mexican Rest, that will accommodate us in Whittier on Whittier Blvd. a very cool place, and kick back place and allot of parking. Was even thinking of maybe a DKK outing there, but need to talk to Rick on that one. But for just a place to have some breakfast and BS VW's, this is the place, my wife and I have eaten there allot, very good food, and a variety of dishes. I have some pics of the place I can post, but have to download from my phone. But the bottom line is variety, to me. When my car is on the road again, I will be back where ever it's held.  Grin  Cool

BFB FOR EVER!!  Shocked

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Hecker

« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2012, 07:05:01 am »

Thanks for the reply Ted, as one of the earliest to join us for breakfast
you certainly have something to add to the mix.    Grin

Any Else ?? 61SNRF Bruce suggested """ Breakfast with the Beetles """ ( BEATLES)
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2012, 07:40:20 am »

Maybe one thing to do is spread the word a little more, post on other forums or websites, new blood is always good. Just like new places. Invite other clubs, like DRR, hear they have some cool cars!  Roll Eyes . The one's with websites, post on them if ya can, or leave them a message. We can do it!!  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:22 am »

Hecker to John L --- you tell me, we changed to the second saturday to please some,

I don't know if I should respond as I'm not a regular by any stretch. BUT: Whittier is kind of a hassle to get to if it's not in your backyard. You may want to get back to mixing up locations. Personally 2nd Sat can be a deal breaker for me and a few other Deeks.

Hey Ron and John, well, to me it's just scheduling of attendees, for me it was just projects that need to be finished. And one is to complete my car. We have Drag Day coming up and other VW events, I know at least two. Anyway, I have have lost NO interest in attending, it's in my back yard pretty much. But sometimes a different venue may help. I know of a Mexican Rest, that will accommodate us in Whittier on Whittier Blvd. a very cool place, and kick back place and allot of parking. Was even thinking of maybe a DKK outing there, but need to talk to Rick on that one. But for just a place to have some breakfast and BS VW's, this is the place, my wife and I have eaten there allot, very good food, and a variety of dishes. I have some pics of the place I can post, but have to download from my phone. But the bottom line is variety, to me. When my car is on the road again, I will be back where ever it's held.  Grin  Cool

BFB FOR EVER!!  Shocked

Ted

Let me know what you have in mind.. maybe DKK can "host" a BFB.

Maybe one thing to do is spread the word a little more, post on other forums or websites, new blood is always good. Just like new places. Invite other clubs, like DRR, hear they have some cool cars!  Roll Eyes . The one's with websites, post on them if ya can, or leave them a message. We can do it!!  Grin

Ted

You don't want DRR... I hear they're a bunch of A-holes.  Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:31 am »

What about incorporating a short/optional drive. i.e. you can meet with us here and we'll drive in together or you can meet us at the restaurarant.

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2012, 08:57:42 am »

Will talk Rick! Ron, Bruce, JohnL, here are the pics of the place, sorry for the quality, from my phone.

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

More pics.........

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:46 am »

Even more pics.....

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2012, 09:07:02 am »

no more pics.  Wink
But take note, the pic of the wall with stickers, we can place VW stickers from shops on there, any size! Let us be known!!  Roll Eyes  Grin

And the place is VERY clean.

Ted

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:17:35 am by DKK Ted » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2012, 13:59:53 pm »

Ron, I thought it was perfectly fine when it first started on the first Saturday. The venue is great, but Whittier isn't exactly freeway friendly unless you live there. That might be a problem... dunno. As for the time, it's good but if you feel it needs changing, so be it. Either try another location closer to the freeway or go back to the rotating locations.

Have you considered the Bob's Big Boy in Downey? It used to be Johnny's Burger Broiler or something like that.

Very car friendly and it still has the original building and shade coverings from the fifties, 'cause it's a drive-in. I'm sure if we go talk with them, they'll be happy to have our business. Plus, seeing all of those VWs out front won't keep people from coming in to eat.

That's just one suggestion... there are obviously many other choices in So Cal, most of which are freeway friendly. Whichever you decide to do, it would be cool to see the attendance up on the gathering.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2012, 16:07:18 pm »

First off thanks to the regulars who showed up yesterday to enjoy a beautiful So Cal breakfast in the Sun Cool
Also thanks to Mike from DKP for making the deep trek into Whittier in order to join us Grin

I will agree that the Ruby's venue in Whittier is getting a little old. Not only is it hard to find and get to, the basic food and service is also below par IMHO.

It would be nice to find another iconic and historic cruising spot to meet at, and I like Mark's idea to hold one at the Bob's in Downey.

I do know of another fantastic place, both for it's excellent parking and somewhat easier to find location about 1.5 miles east of the 605. If you read the reviews here, you can also see that their great food brings people back time and again...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sakos-sandwich-shop-santa-fe-springs
Rennsurfer

« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2012, 16:22:01 pm »

You had me at avocados, Bruce. Let's try that place!

~Sarge
vdubduner

« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2012, 22:11:02 pm »

you guys can plug your breakfast on out facebook page,aircooled anarchy.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/316903778338042/
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2012, 23:42:46 pm »

The link only works if you're a member of Facebook and the Aircooled Anarchy group. I thought about posting it today but I wanted to wait until any changes are sorted out.'

Rennsurfer

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2012, 00:41:43 am »

you guys can plug your breakfast on out facebook page,aircooled anarchy.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/316903778338042/

Like what Rick posted; not everyone's on Facebook. I've been on there for 4 years, but I know many who will never join. Also, curious if that Anarchy group supports all VW clubs. We're Cal Look only and have been around for 35 years. Most importantly, 61SNRF & HECKER started Bugs For Breakfast... so it's their decision to do whatever they want with changes to locations and if they'll promote it outside of this Cal Look web site.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 00:51:45 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2012, 03:10:23 am »

Ron, I thought it was perfectly fine when it first started on the first Saturday. The venue is great, but Whittier isn't exactly freeway friendly unless you live there. That might be a problem... dunno. As for the time, it's good but if you feel it needs changing, so be it. Either try another location closer to the freeway or go back to the rotating locations.

Have you considered the Bob's Big Boy in Downey? It used to be Johnny's Burger Broiler or something like that.

Very car friendly and it still has the original building and shade coverings from the fifties, 'cause it's a drive-in. I'm sure if we go talk with them, they'll be happy to have our business. Plus, seeing all of those VWs out front won't keep people from coming in to eat.

That's just one suggestion... there are obviously many other choices in So Cal, most of which are freeway friendly. Whichever you decide to do, it would be cool to see the attendance up on the gathering.

The Bob's Big Boy in Downey is certainly an option.  As a younger person I spent many a night there when it was Harvey's Broiler.  The custom cars that came thought the place was over the top and they didn't like us Orange County guys with our hot cars showing up.  Low was the scene and speed was not.

One correction I'd like to offer is a good portion of the original building was torn down illegally but fortunately was stopped prior to the entire place being destroyed.  Here is a link with the history of the place. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnie's_Broiler

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
edcraig

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2012, 05:02:03 am »

I'm a little bias toward Ruby's as its almost in my backyard, but am open to try somewhere else if everyone thinks its a good idea.  Honestly, I don't think the location is the issue.  I would have been there this past saturday, however I was already committed to a local car show over in La Habra. 

I enjoy the event but would really like to see more attendance.  I'd keep it at Ruby's. move it to the 1st saturday of the month and get the word out.  You know...Nicks has been pretty light in the way of attendance lately too, maybe its just a summer thing and will get better in the fall?

....Ed.

Pic from La Habra Car Show.
vdubduner

« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2012, 06:07:20 am »

we also did that show,had the silver and blue bugs right next to the ghia.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2012, 16:26:28 pm »

I'm a little bias toward Ruby's as its almost in my backyard, but am open to try somewhere else if everyone thinks its a good idea.  Honestly, I don't think the location is the issue.  I would have been there this past saturday, however I was already committed to a local car show over in La Habra. 

I enjoy the event but would really like to see more attendance.  I'd keep it at Ruby's. move it to the 1st saturday of the month and get the word out.  You know...Nicks has been pretty light in the way of attendance lately too, maybe its just a summer thing and will get better in the fall?

....Ed.

Pic from La Habra Car Show.
Hey Ed, Ghia is looking good! wanted to go with ya to the show this year again, but as you know, my car is still down, hope to get it runinng soon again, but next year for sure, maybe get some Deeks in the show, it's a nice show for sure. Talk ta ya soon!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
edcraig

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2012, 01:53:53 am »

Thanks Ted,

It was a fun show.  Hope you and some of the DKK gang can make it next year.  We had a few VW's this year.  A guy and his wife had a nice looking 62 sunroof and a 67 sedan parked next to me.  A local guy I know, (another Mark), has a cool looking bus  (see pic).  Its not cal look, but pretty cool.  Also a guy by the name of Dan had a great looking squareback.  Dan won coolest car award.  I got the best import award. 
I'm in michigan this week on bussiness and will post more pics when I get home.

...Ed.
edcraig

« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:00 am »

Here's the Squareback.

...Ed.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2012, 19:13:47 pm »

Thanks Ted,

It was a fun show.  Hope you and some of the DKK gang can make it next year.  We had a few VW's this year.  A guy and his wife had a nice looking 62 sunroof and a 67 sedan parked next to me.  A local guy I know, (another Mark), has a cool looking bus  (see pic).  Its not cal look, but pretty cool.  Also a guy by the name of Dan had a great looking squareback.  Dan won coolest car award.  I got the best import award. 
I'm in michigan this week on bussiness and will post more pics when I get home.

...Ed.

The couple would be Darrin & Michelle. Darrin is vdubduner here on The Lounge.

Hecker

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2012, 03:40:53 am »

I know everyone is about to get exited for this Saturday --- Bugs for Breakfast !!!

I will not be there --- but you can certainly join me at Inland Valley VW Club
Car Show at Cable Airport in Upland. It is a nice little show -- only $10 bucks.

There is a coffee shop located walking distance from the show. It is called
Maniac Mike's .....so that is where I will be enjoying breakfast with my bug.   Grin
edcraig

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2012, 04:31:50 am »

Hey Ron... Have a good time. 

Anyone else up for B4B at Rubys this saturday?

...Ed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: