The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:02:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A few pics from the weekend...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A few pics from the weekend...  (Read 7372 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« on: May 05, 2011, 16:15:56 pm »

What a delight to see Roger Grago at Cars'n'Coffee!

Freeman Thomas (designer of the New Beetle etc)) and Cris Huegas (RGruppe boss) present Roger with his bespoke clothing!

The Ghia Guys – Frenchy, Doug Mische, Roger Grago!

Fell in love with this Parilla – yours for $6000 (a genuine bargain)

Following Roger and Mike Sofka (former DKP II) on way to breakfast in Doug's Cayman S

Dustin was so excited to see this Synchro at Bug-In that he let one slip...

A certain red '51

And again...

Cool...

Lightning Bug (almost) lives!

Buzz, buzz...

Calabrese's Kaboom!

LIGHT-ning Bug!

Too perfect resto? I think not! It's being restored, warts and all!

Scary, but light...

Who?

The future? Tesla on the 5 freeway...

That's all folks (for now...)

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 17:12:16 pm »

AWESOME, Keith!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 17:59:26 pm »

thx keith  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 18:26:02 pm »

Damn, that under the front end shot of LB is SCARY! Shocked Shocked 

DKP III
Fritter

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 18:34:13 pm »

Those welds ARE scarey.... Shocked Shocked Shocked.  Isn't that a DDS single axle beam?

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 19:22:56 pm »

Awesome pics Keith.
Seeing those details almost makes me think I was there ...  Wink
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 19:30:23 pm »

nice one KS! looks like you had a ball!
thanks for sharing  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 19:43:37 pm »

Those welds ARE scarey.... Shocked Shocked Shocked.  Isn't that a DDS single axle beam?
VERY scary!

A little story: when Mark and Paul took the DDS car to the east coast to sell to Billy Mitchell, they had to prove it could run the numbers. Paul drove the car and one pass it took a violent leap to one side. Checked it all over and then on the next pass it did the same thing, for no obvious reason. It turns out there were no grease nipples on the king-pins and they had started to seize. As Paul turned the steering wheel, rather than the wheels turning, the whole upper beam, which was welded between the front inner fenders, and which carried the steering box, actually moved! What happened was that the body flexed to a limit and then suddenly the king-pins freed up and bang! the wheels turned!

To help prevent this, the Schleys added the central 'strut' on their own car to make sure that 100 per cent of the steering effort went into turning the car, not bending the bodywork... As for the quality of the welding, in this day and age of hobby MIG-welders that turn us all into 'experts', we tend to forget that back in the day there was only gas welding and arc (stick) welding. Both hard to master in comparison. But, yes, it does look scary!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 20:32:19 pm »

Cool! Thanks for sharing...It's great to see Cris still doing the Porsche thing. He knows Porsche's! (met him through my cousin, who grew up with him in the bay area)

tw

Operations Trask Manufacturing
Design, Prototype, & Dyno Tune Custom Motorcycle Exhaust
Ole

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 21:26:08 pm »

VERY scary!

A little story: when Mark and Paul took the DDS car to the east coast to sell to Billy Mitchell, they had to prove it could run the numbers. Paul drove the car and one pass it took a violent leap to one side. Checked it all over and then on the next pass it did the same thing, for no obvious reason. It turns out there were no grease nipples on the king-pins and they had started to seize. As Paul turned the steering wheel, rather than the wheels turning, the whole upper beam, which was welded between the front inner fenders, and which carried the steering box, actually moved! What happened was that the body flexed to a limit and then suddenly the king-pins freed up and bang! the wheels turned!

To help prevent this, the Schleys added the central 'strut' on their own car to make sure that 100 per cent of the steering effort went into turning the car, not bending the bodywork... As for the quality of the welding, in this day and age of hobby MIG-welders that turn us all into 'experts', we tend to forget that back in the day there was only gas welding and arc (stick) welding. Both hard to master in comparison. But, yes, it does look scary!

Thanks for sharing that story. You should write another book... Roll Eyes

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Dustin

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 02:19:57 am »

Keith, do you really want to go there? Have you forgotten the pictures that we've held back sharing with the Cal-look Lounge? Scott P.... Prepare to upload!!

qoute: Dustin was so excited to see this Synchro at Bug-In that he let one slip...

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
Geoff P DVKK

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 02:49:34 am »

Thanks for posting the pic's, Wish I was there to see it all in person..... VW Classic just over a month away!
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 07:44:52 am »

Thanks for sharing all those pics  Wink

That's interesting to see how the quickest cars from back in the day where build and how they are done today  Smiley
bugnut68

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 19:19:11 pm »

Thanks for sharing all those pics  Wink

That's interesting to see how the quickest cars from back in the day where build and how they are done today  Smiley

I think it's safe to say that we've come a long way in terms of race cars that handle well... lol. Grin  I'd go with new tech over old school any day if I were to build a purpose-built race car.
qubek

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 19:26:57 pm »

I think it's safe to say that we've come a long way in terms of race cars that handle well... lol. Grin  I'd go with new tech over old school any day if I were to build a purpose-built race car.

BLASPHEMY!!! Shocked

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 19:29:41 pm »

BLASPHEMY!!! Shocked
[/quote]

LOL!

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
bugnut68

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 20:15:07 pm »

BLASPHEMY!!! Shocked

Lol, that may be so for the hard-core gasser fans... but I'm merely speaking in terms of modern-day race cars.  Let's face it, I'm sure there's a reason why the Red Baron team (Calabrese crew) isn't running s straight front axle on their seven-second Pro Mod. Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: