The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 14:41:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  why are this early cars so fast?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: why are this early cars so fast?  (Read 10830 times)
Felix/DFL

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 00:00:40 am »

I think weight is a factor but not the overall key.
As said engines were more carefully overthought and not yust thrown together 2.3 ltr`s. The people back then looked more at the detail and the details are essential for an high hp engine.
Don`t go crazy with the weight Dirk, remember we drive street car`s leave this plasticnut and makrolon all around theme to the big boys which want to go into the 11s or faster.
For me a cal looker has to be in a way practicale, so good driveable and LOOK GOOD !
And yes the 195/50 tires will have an effect, the car will look like shit... I am with that point that you will get a bit better time but for that cost`s ?
For me the overall-look is more a factor then going a bit faster. First time on the track at DDD1 I even throw out the rearbench and the passenger seat.
But the car then looked not good to me, so next time on the track with everything = same time...

When you have a strong and good build engine, you will even go fast with all that stuff that`s makes a car run smooth and look good.
For me THE reference is Olaf from our club. (Of course there are many other examples but that`s my personal reference) His best time is a 14,540 at Bit and this with an 1776cc orig. gearbox no slicks and all that stuff. Imagine what a close ratio would have an effect in this car...

And this car is no trailer cat ! Olaf drives it to every event, makes boils in the pan and drives home. Everything without lighter batterys or no damping cause it saves 0,5kg but you must drive with mickey mouses.

Just a very good build engine which even has an impressive torque. With 4 people (and even those were not the lightest Wink it went up the hills as there were no tomorrow...
I find it kind of sad that cal-look is devoloping into the trailer-race section. For me a Cal-looker is a street car that goes severall times on the 1/4mile to have fun, but is not build for that. It`s a fast driven STREET car.
Just my thoughts...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 00:02:37 am by Felix/DFL » Logged
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 02:32:24 am »

Driving impressions!   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
nicolas

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 08:34:46 am »

thanks rchie, i am sure i will come up with more questions later, but maybe i just can ask them in person at VoWo.

but one thing that i like a lot about that engine is the use of 88 pistons. i can imagine when he build the engine that they didn't cost that much more as 90.5's but after all those years (and now with new heads) he sticks to the 88's. why? 42x37 is going to be a tight fit. i really like the engine.
another thing that i read (it is a 92 vwtrends issue with the feauture on the car and the 91 issue has the car in it's shiny glory on the cover but no coverage) is that he used stock rods for a long time. how good are they? i have read discussions before, but there seems to be a big leap between stock rods (on a 82 crank) and carillo rods which are still seen as the industry's standard.
dirk zeyen

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 21:05:14 pm »

hello felix,

olafs car is fantastic, but you do it the same way!!! and you are running 15.6sec in a notch with 1776 and stock valves and your car is more heavy metal Grin Grin Grin i run 195/65-15 at the rear and would them only change for racing( second set of wheels) passengers seat and rear seat are all in the car, but i use lighter cobra seats at the front. loosing wight is like a hobby to me, the makrolon windows are made myself, total cost are less than 40 euro and put in the car with rubber, if they are scratched after two years i will build new ones. my car never will be a trailer-queen!!! i can't spent much money on the car, so my engine-update has to wait, i build everything by myself, t-bars for less than 5 euro a pair and so one...searching for better times without much money Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed i must do it a different way.

@ nicolas and ritchie, i want to know more about daves engine maybe the secrets Wink. if i'm right the berglar run at first a 82 crank with porsche rods, they are shorter than stock Shocked Shocked Shocked

dirk zeyen ( now drinking a beer, oh man nearly 20 years after my last english lesson writing english is not my favorit hobby but i will work on it)

back again!!!
nicolas

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 08:07:47 am »

dirk another beer and your english will improve greatly. if not for others at least it will for yourself.  Grin
dirk zeyen

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 06:49:21 am »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

cheers dirk zeyen

back again!!!
The Ideaman

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 17:48:01 pm »

I think weight is a factor but not the overall key.
As said engines were more carefully overthought and not yust thrown together 2.3 ltr`s. The people back then looked more at the detail and the details are essential for an high hp engine.
Don`t go crazy with the weight Dirk, remember we drive street car`s leave this plasticnut and makrolon all around theme to the big boys which want to go into the 11s or faster.
For me a cal looker has to be in a way practicale, so good driveable and LOOK GOOD !
And yes the 195/50 tires will have an effect, the car will look like shit... I am with that point that you will get a bit better time but for that cost`s ?
For me the overall-look is more a factor then going a bit faster. First time on the track at DDD1 I even throw out the rearbench and the passenger seat.
But the car then looked not good to me, so next time on the track with everything = same time...

When you have a strong and good build engine, you will even go fast with all that stuff that`s makes a car run smooth and look good.
For me THE reference is Olaf from our club. (Of course there are many other examples but that`s my personal reference) His best time is a 14,540 at Bit and this with an 1776cc orig. gearbox no slicks and all that stuff. Imagine what a close ratio would have an effect in this car...

And this car is no trailer cat ! Olaf drives it to every event, makes boils in the pan and drives home. Everything without lighter batterys or no damping cause it saves 0,5kg but you must drive with mickey mouses.

Just a very good build engine which even has an impressive torque. With 4 people (and even those were not the lightest Wink it went up the hills as there were no tomorrow...
I find it kind of sad that cal-look is devoloping into the trailer-race section. For me a Cal-looker is a street car that goes severall times on the 1/4mile to have fun, but is not build for that. It`s a fast driven STREET car.
Just my thoughts...

I agree wholeheartedly.  I've ridden in a car with no interior and plastic windows.  While it was a mid 12 second quarter miler, I didn't enjoy it for more than 10 minutes of cruising.  Zach knows the car well, as it was his roommate's, Travis.  However it was no lightweight.  The car had more tubing inside it than a Nascar racer.  How they put 800 miles on it in a weekend is beyond me.  I must be old.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 17:51:48 pm »

Young dumb and full of ___. We put alot of miles on that car, it was his only ride for a long time.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: