The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 16:14:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350724 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  NUMBER 49
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NUMBER 49  (Read 13356 times)
johnl

« on: July 31, 2012, 15:42:47 pm »

Strange title hun?Huh  Here is the link I started one year ago today and now I'm on the countdown for the "Golden Anniversary".  [http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,16570.0.html

A few things have changed since last year with the most sugnificant being a new VW addition to our fleet.  I had thoughts of building another car but the realization of committment, cost, etc. came into play and I figured it was best to find a "done car" I could live with.  On my wife's birthday, thanks Christie, that came to pass as I purchased what I consider a very nice 1960 sedan that is a fresh pan off.

When one purchases someone elses work there are always things you would have done differently.  Doesn't indicate that it was done wrong, just that you would do it differently.  With that said I made a list and sent the car over to Greg Brinton's Brintech.  The car was there for five weeks and Greg did an EXCELLENT job and even a few things I'd overlooked.

Outwardly the car doesn't look much different with the exceptions of now sporting Euro Bumpers from Wolfsberg West and it has been raised at all four corners.  There are many changes to items that you can't see but I think it made the car much better and more to my taste, thus I'm in the process of making it mine.

A couple of photos attached prior to the updates.  Oh and last I'd like to say I'm having a BLAST but forgot how quickly one can get use to the extra horsepower over a stocker....    /color]

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 16:46:44 pm »

oh yeah, you can see the flaw right there

they left the trim on.

other then that, i have to say it looks really really nice.  Wink

johnl

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 17:13:53 pm »

oh yeah, you can see the flaw right there

they left the trim on.

other then that, i have to say it looks really really nice.  Wink

Personally I like the trim.  The two items I would change would be not to have the one piece windows and I wish it had a canvas roof.  Other than that it is perfect in my book.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 17:36:52 pm »

it is a really nice car and the gauges just look perfect, but i want to see more cars without trim... but i guess that is just me.  Tongue and if it resembles like other cars that came from the 'brintech factory' all the work must be outstanding and very pleasing when you pick up the car.

take care.
johnl

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 18:11:25 pm »

it is a really nice car and the gauges just look perfect, but i want to see more cars without trim... but i guess that is just me.  Tongue and if it resembles like other cars that came from the 'brintech factory' all the work must be outstanding and very pleasing when you pick up the car.

take care.

What you don't see in the photos is that all of the window trim is there but anodized in a mat black.  The only trim items not on the car are the running board and dash panel strips.  Attached is a shot of the engine compartment.

Fritter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 18:30:51 pm »

Hey John, where are the "after" pics? 

It looks great, and you're set with the hardest stuff, which is to say that it has cool paint already and it has a sweet powertrain.  The other stuff is all cosmetic and you can tweak as needed.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 18:56:51 pm »

It looks great, and you're set with the hardest stuff, which is to say that it has cool paint already and it has a sweet powertrain.  The other stuff is all cosmetic and you can tweak as needed.

I haven't taken any updated photos yet but Rich Kimball did about a week ago at Cars & Coffee.  I plan on having the car out this weekend at Nick's so maybe then.  I'd forgotten how thirsty 48s are.  This thing is in direct competition with my 413 long ram 300 on fuel consumption.....    Sad Sad Sad Sad

Mike Maize

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 19:40:11 pm »

I haven't taken any updated photos yet but Rich Kimball did about a week ago at Cars & Coffee.  I plan on having the car out this weekend at Nick's so maybe then.  I'd forgotten how thirsty 48s are.  This thing is in direct competition with my 413 long ram 300 on
fuel consumption.....    Sad Sad Sad Sad

Do you think it's the 48's or not being able to resist the throttle pedal?  Roll Eyes
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 19:50:21 pm »

i want to see more cars without trim... but i guess that is just me.  Tongue

you're a not the only one  Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 20:03:53 pm »

I haven't taken any updated photos yet but Rich Kimball did about a week ago at Cars & Coffee.  I plan on having the car out this weekend at Nick's so maybe then.  I'd forgotten how thirsty 48s are.  This thing is in direct competition with my 413 long ram 300 on
fuel consumption.....    Sad Sad Sad Sad

Do you think it's the 48's or not being able to resist the throttle pedal?  Roll Eyes

Three years ago next month I was involved in a head on crash (not my fault) and since then I look at driving and life in general much differently.  I'm much more conservative in my driving and seldom put my foot in the throttle on anything I own.  Over the weekend I had the M5 out and it may have seen 4 grand a couple of times.  I'm far more appreciative of each day than in years gone by.  I think this is referred to as realizing your MORTALITY..........    Wink Wink Wink Wink

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 00:41:52 am »

I thought that title had something to do with the "James Gang" !
 Grin
Fritter

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 01:11:30 am »

John how does this 48ida motor compare to your 70s Ida motor?

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:26 am »

John how does this 48ida motor compare to your 70s Ida motor?

Mike, It is really two different worlds.  The Butternut motor was 78.4x88 with about 10.1 compression.  Our new ride which has been given the name, TGM "The Green Monster" is 82x94 but with lower compression.  I'd suspect the cylinder head work is far more advanced in TGM over what we had back in the day.

I think the Butternut motor was actually more user friendly but didn't have near the power that TGM seems to offer.  Along with all of that are many advances in suspension, tires, etc.  All of this works out to be that TMG offers much more.  Possibly the major difference is that my driving attitude is much more tame these days thus I don't find myself exercising my left foot nearly as much.

johnl

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 03:33:55 am »

All of this works out to be that TMG offers much more.  Possibly the major difference is that my driving attitude is much more tame these days thus I don't find myself exercising my left foot nearly as much.

See what age does to you.  That should state my RIGHT foot.............   Grin Grin Grin

edcraig

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 04:26:56 am »

John...."the" real number is 729!   Grin

Congrats again on the car.  I'm real happy to hear how happy you are with it.  I won't be at Nicks this sunday, but hope to see the updated version real soon.

PS:  What is the tire size of the front tires?  I'd still like to unload my 145's for something different.  What you have looks to be a good fit.

...Ed.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 05:15:49 am »

John, the car is very nice, like it alot, what is the exact color of the car??

Ted

VW Classic 2012
johnl

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 05:22:06 am »

John...."the" real number is 729!   Grin

Congrats again on the car.  I'm real happy to hear how happy you are with it.  I won't be at Nicks this sunday, but hope to see the updated version real soon.

PS:  What is the tire size of the front tires?  I'd still like to unload my 145's for something different.  What you have looks to be a good fit.

...Ed.

Ah yes, 729.  Well all I can say is "Bless you Big Guy", inside joke from earlier Royze days and a former employee that Ed and I worked with.

The tires are Goodyear P185-60R15.

Sorry you couldn't get out of jail this weekend to attend Nick's but if you stay on your best behavior maybe next month....

johnl

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 05:23:57 am »

Ted

I was told it is suppose to be "Palm Green" which is a mid '50's bus color.  Some say that Palm Green was brighter.  I always wanted an Anthracite car and in certain lights this looks very close.

edcraig

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:41 am »

Yeah....who knew telling bad jokes was a felony!   

Actually I'm heading up to Mammoth for a few days with my fine family, but will be back in time for Big Wednesday next week.

Maybe when I get back I can stop by your most excellent facility and fit up one of your front tires to my lowly Ghia.  I'd like to see how the clearance is with 185/60's.

...Ed.
OC1967vw

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 10:03:10 am »

Ted

I was told it is suppose to be "Palm Green" which is a mid '50's bus color.  Some say that Palm Green was brighter.  I always wanted an Anthracite car and in certain lights this looks very close.

Nice looking car. Using the same Autometer gauge series.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 15:46:23 pm »

Very nice car!

johnl

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 16:38:49 pm »

Ted

Nice looking car. Using the same Autometer gauge series.

Note the lower gauge to the left of the tac.  This was a Brintech creation which incorporates idiot lights for the following.  Oil Pressure, Alternator, High Beams and Turn Signals.  It looks to be like an Auto Meter Gauge.  Just another detail item of how this car was done.

RichardinNZ

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 22:38:49 pm »

Looking forward to seeing some updated exterior shots.  Already a great looking car that it sounds like you have further improved. 
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
wolfswest

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 19:23:29 pm »

Hi John,

Did you swap out those 175 or 185's up front yet?  Huh    Did you find the time to take some detail shots of the tires up front?  I'm really interested in a pair of 175/65's up front!

thx,

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Neil Davies

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 21:29:32 pm »

I've got a set of 175/65's on my Cookie Cutters and I'm not overly sure about them - A bit tall in my opinion. maybe a 175/60 would be better, if there is such a thing! I'll see if I can get some pictures. I did use 155/70's on the '70 I did for my cousin and I think they looked good.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
wolfswest

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 08:34:48 am »

175/65 should be the same height as 145's.
155/70 should be the same as 135's.

Neil,  you got more pictures from the side?  maybe a pb or another topic so we don't mess up John's topic.

=>also I think michelin doesn't produce those 155/70's anymore.  Undecided

johnl

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 04:26:29 am »

Hi John,

Did you swap out those 175 or 185's up front yet?  Huh    Did you find the time to take some detail shots of the tires up front?  I'm really interested in a pair of 175/65's up front!

thx,

Dem

I haven't changed any of the tires as of this time.  I'm into a couple of projects with my other cars at the moment.

Ed Craig did come down a few weeks back with his Ghia and we pulled a front wheel from my car and tried the combo on his.  It rubbed so he went with a different tire size but I don't remember what it was.

My wife took a couple of photos with the car and myself last Sunday prior to leaving for the DKP Meeting and later Nick's.  He goal was not the car so much as she was documenting my recovery from some rather substantial skin cancer surgery on my nose.  I haven't seen those photos yet but have a strong reminder every time I look in a mirror.

wolfswest

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:11 am »

Hi John,

I hope you get well soon.  Well, in the meantime I already ordered myself a set of 175/65's (pirelli cinturato) so we will see how it works out.  Can't wait to see them under the wheel arches.

thx,

Dem

edcraig

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:45 am »

John's tires looked good on my Ghia but they rubbed pretty badly.  I ended up going to 165/60-16 Conti's.  Major improvement over the nanking 145's.  They ride, turn and stop much better.  i did loose a little clearance when I turn, but nothing that causes a big issue.

...Ed.

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 04:44:24 am »

John, will you be at Drag Day with your car? Really want to see it, Briton did a great job on what he did. Like that dash!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: