The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:43:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350709 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  SHIFTER Berg vs. CSP vs Scat drag fast etc
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SHIFTER Berg vs. CSP vs Scat drag fast etc  (Read 17135 times)
SSRT

« on: March 17, 2009, 07:50:01 am »

Whitch one is the best / fastest shifter out there?
low oval
DKK

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:54 am »

don't know about the csp, but I like the berg way better than the scat.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:04:34 am »

I think shifters are a personal choice although some are better than others.

I used a bugpack shifter in my first dragcar with no problems Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
mychatype3

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:10:29 pm »

I like the look of the Flat4 shifter, but it's not easy or fast to shift.

1968 fastback "in resto"
1970 Westfalia from the States

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »

I have to say that Flat4 Eliminator sucks. Now I have a 40% Berg and I´m very happy, but I would love to try CSP one time..
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:45:53 pm »

The Eliminator is awfull, every time you shift from second to first you hit reverse as you only have to push the handle to the left to engage reverse. I had one in my notch and was glad to leave it in when I sold the notch.

I now have the choice between a Berg 40% and the CSP EBI shifter (thanks by the way, Thomas 356), both good as new, never used. I'll probably go with the Berg as the CSP is still packed and I'm also worried a bit about the screenprinted logo's to rub of through hard use. Plus, I like the looks of the Berg a bit better.

As to quality, they have te same reverse lock-out system, so they both have the eliminator beaten.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
bang

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 14:54:55 pm »

cae is the fastes h shift on the marked.. and it is just so cool.. try cae-shifter.de or com cant remember.. Huh
67worshipper

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 14:58:44 pm »

ive got a berg 40% reduction shifter and it works really well.

vw hot rod heaven
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 15:17:25 pm »

I had a cheapy Empi shifter in my Ghia - looked very much like an early Berg rip-off. Loved it, but unfortunately not available in RHD. My brother fitted a Scat Dragfast in his car and I really don't like it. I will end up with a CSP or a Berg at some point.

In my race car I had a stock curved shifter with a quick shift plate on it - never had a problem and it fell perfectly to hand.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 16:09:18 pm »

My 2 cents after trying both a 60% CSP and a 60% Berg.

First thing first, both are great shifters. But the CSP shifters use a plastic base that restrict the total amount of movement . After a while the 4 umbraco screws holding this base plate unscrew themselves and the result is a loose shifter which is not precise. On the other hand this plastic base makes for a more soft shifter than the Berg which use a metall base.

Its all up to you in the end but I know which one I prefer.

Best rgs
BB

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 16:21:53 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 16:46:36 pm »

i just sold the berg 40% reduction shifter to Dr J. because i like my hurst so much more... again a personal choice as in no way i can tell the Berg was bad. it just didn't fit my hand and throw like the hurst does to me.

so there you have even another option. the shifter i really, really hated was the very short bugpack i had. the cheap baseplate broke and the shifter was anything but precise. so maybe stay away from the cheap stuff.
Dougy Dee

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 17:16:03 pm »

I saw a recent BugPack flier featuring what appears to be their version of a Berg Shifter for sale. The guy that showed me the flier advised BP had advised him that BP had been making these for Berg's!!!  Is nothing sacred anymore?
bugnut68

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 19:32:09 pm »

I saw a recent BugPack flier featuring what appears to be their version of a Berg Shifter for sale. The guy that showed me the flier advised BP had advised him that BP had been making these for Berg's!!!  Is nothing sacred anymore?

Bugpack's Shift-Rite shifter (the Berg look-a-like) is made in their own factory, from what I'm to gather, and last I heard they do not make Berg's shifters for them.  Dominic Luppino works there and posts regularly on UltimateAirCooled.com, I would ask him, I'm sure he'll give you the straight dope.
alikatcraig

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 20:31:39 pm »

NO, Bugpack do NOT make Berg shifters for them! These are made in house at Bergs.

For those who like variety in their lives check out yet another handle design! Larger version of the one in our '51 splittie.

Al
JS

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 21:06:09 pm »

I have heard that Berg buys the cast bases from Bugpack, but it might of course be just a rumour.

Signature.
Russell

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 23:47:37 pm »

Having seen the machine shop at both the Bergs and CSP the answer is simple:

If you want history and that old school period look/feel its the Bergs, great product.

However if you want a modern, high quality, well engineered, well put together and reliable product, then its CSP all the way.

Conclusion: errrrr..............  Huh

Oh buy both and use them 50% of the time each  Grin keep them both sweet, one can never have enought shifters.

Best Regards

Russell
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 06:19:05 am »

NO, Bugpack do NOT make Berg shifters for them! These are made in house at Bergs.

For those who like variety in their lives check out yet another handle design! Larger version of the one in our '51 splittie.

Al
Clean and simple...great design guys! I'm sure you'll sell a bunch! Cool

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 11:30:49 am »

I used an empi ezr shifter for over 10 yrs with no problems, I have now installed a berg.  Hopefully will get to use this year!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 00:36:04 am »

Bugpack's Shift-Rite shifter (the Berg look-a-like) is made in their own factory, from what I'm to gather, and last I heard they do not make Berg's shifters for them.  Dominic Luppino works there and posts regularly on UltimateAirCooled.com, I would ask him, I'm sure he'll give you the straight dope.

BUGPACK does not make shifters for Berg, BUGPACK now makes the Shift Right Shifter, I have had at one time or another every shifter out there, I have the Shift Right Shifter in both my street car as well as my Unlimited Street car and I can say it is by far the best shifter I’ve had in the car to date! It is made in house and is NOT a China P.O.S. The Shift Right Shifter is priced much cheaper then most of the top ones out there. Check your local BUGPACK dealer for pricing…
Sam K

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:43:37 am »

One of my neighbors recently bought a CSP shifter and it looks and feels good, but I've been using a Berg 60% shorter shifter in my bug since '97 or '98 and it's all I'll ever use. I've got another one waiting to go in my race car when I get around to building it as well.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 13:21:45 pm »

I actually think that the 60% shifter is too short, even for racers. But opinions vary.
As for how they work, well the CSP is damn good. I have not experienced the problem Beetlebug is referring to (yet) That is a problem if that happens.
T
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 17:38:20 pm »

My personal experiences using the 60% shifters are, as long as it’s used on a street car and a Trans for Drag Racing using Pro Hubs, no Synchro they work ok, I was having problems using the 60% in my Unlimited Street car because with the shorter throw, it would shift faster then the clutch would release causing a lot of mis-shifts, changed to the 40% and the problems were gone.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 18:43:29 pm »

Had that too in my racer,i swapped the berg 60% back to the 40% reduction shifter and felt better. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 22:49:15 pm »

I have used both the CSP and Berg shifters and can say that they are both superb. However, they are both sadly way too heavy for my race car...
The GWD shifter is a nice piece of kit, but suffers from too much side to side movement. You have to mover the lever about six inches side to side to shift from second to third! Back and forth is very short and nice, though

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 23:01:34 pm »

My personal experiences using the 60% shifters are, as long as it’s used on a street car and a Trans for Drag Racing using Pro Hubs, no Synchro they work ok, I was having problems using the 60% in my Unlimited Street car because with the shorter throw, it would shift faster then the clutch would release causing a lot of mis-shifts, changed to the 40% and the problems were gone.

No Donminick when you get to your age your hand moves faster than your foot. Cheesy Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 04:04:10 am »

Heck, all this time I thought it was the shifter! Grin
SSRT

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 09:03:15 am »

Anyone else tryed this Shift Right Shifter? Looks nice, nice price...
Liou

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 10:33:16 am »

in type 34 drag csp used this shifter csp 60 % it's perfect by pilot ron lummus and the little price csp than berg but it's beauty old school for berg of course
it's very quality product csp too like brake disc csp

My 62 ragtop cal look
JIMP

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 11:23:06 am »

Hello

All torque, when you mention GWD shifter you mean the cae racing aluminum one? because if this is the case I think that probably something is not in top shape with the whole system as just yesterday I installed one on our race car, big problems adjusting it until I changed the joint back to the shifting rod and make it as rigid as possible, amazing result, no left and right play more than the front back, I had also to limit! with the allen screws the movement left- right as was of no use, just my opinion
By the way, has anyone any info on this shifter?
www.bug-tech.de, a guy on a greek forum discovered it and was hoping that some has some info on them..

Friendly

Dimitrios
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 17:07:00 pm »

Anyone else tryed this Shift Right Shifter? Looks nice, nice price...

I forgot to mention that the Shift Right Shifter is a 40%
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: