The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 15:06:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Mahle or Kolben-schmidt bearings? (Main/Con-rod)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mahle or Kolben-schmidt bearings? (Main/Con-rod)  (Read 25320 times)
Felix/DFL

« on: January 09, 2009, 15:09:52 pm »

Hi Folks,

I have heared that KS bearings are better than the mahle one`s.Is that true or myth?
Is there anyone who had some problems with the Mahle bearings. Are the measures incorrect?

KS bearings are harder to get, the most sellers advertise Mahle.

Thanks,
Felix
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 16:06:47 pm »

This is what Jim told me some time ago.

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7444.0.html

Here in the Netherlands I'm even having a hard time finding Mahle bearings, the usually sell Sintermetal??

Der Vollgas Kreuzers

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 16:18:06 pm »

I believe that Mahle mains have the oiling groove on the OD, and Kolbenschmidt mains have the oiling path on the ID. I never used Mahles thou.. I have a set of German kolbenschmidt bearings going to my 2276.
Tomi

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:23:49 am »

I had problems with flywheel side Mahle bearing. It had 0.1mm endplay to the case and I did not notice it when I assemled the engine. After 50km of driving I took the engine out, flywheel off and I could rotate the bearing with my fingers. I replaced all bearings with Kolbenschmidt and no problems anymore. I will propably never use Mahle's again if I have a choice.
Rasser

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:42:10 am »

I had problems with flywheel side Mahle bearing. It had 0.1mm endplay to the case and I did not notice it when I assemled the engine. After 50km of driving I took the engine out, flywheel off and I could rotate the bearing with my fingers. I replaced all bearings with Kolbenschmidt and no problems anymore. I will propably never use Mahle's again if I have a choice.
Didn´t you notice this when setting crankshaft endplay ?  or did you set it at 0,1mm and then obviously had NO endplay between crankshaft/bearing but instead endplay between bearing/case ?

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Tomi

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:10:45 am »

Didn´t you notice this when setting crankshaft endplay ?  or did you set it at 0,1mm and then obviously had NO endplay between crankshaft/bearing but instead endplay between bearing/case ?

I set the endplay at 0,15mm, so the crankshaft roteted like it should and I really didn't know there was endplay between bearing and case. I measured the Kolbensmidt endplay before installing the flywheel and it was tight to the case.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:35:25 am »

I prefer KS...  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Felix/DFL

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 20:30:19 pm »

I believe that Mahle mains have the oiling groove on the OD, and Kolbenschmidt mains have the oiling path on the ID. I never used Mahles thou.. I have a set of German kolbenschmidt bearings going to my 2276.

I now could compare Mahle and KS bearings, as I didn`t get any KS bearings...

You are 100% correct about the oiling path!
The oil channel on the mahle bearings is a bit smaller and on the outside.
The oil only exits on 2 spots where the max. preasure due the piston works happens.

BUT which concept is better? Full oil circle inside(KS) or yust two spots (Mahle)?

Any thoughts on this difference?
Left: KS         Right: Mahle

Udo

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »

The oil channel on the inside is much better for the case . I personly only use KS bearings .

udo

henk

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 09:25:22 am »

This is what Jim told me some time ago.

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7444.0.html

Here in the Netherlands I'm even having a hard time finding Mahle bearings, the usually sell Sintermetal??

hallo,

is there somebody who used those Sintermetal bearings?
i bought new bearings for my 2110 and it are Sintermetals.
any good?

henk!!!
pupjoint

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 13:56:16 pm »

can post some pics of those sintermetal bearings?

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 18:50:17 pm »

I use the KS, but with lack of them here in the states with the steel back, I've went to the Silverlights, they have the steel back, not a bad bearing. The silverlights cam bearings do suck.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Peter

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 13:46:43 pm »

bought some KS some time ago, thinking they had the good oil path...
well they were the same like my old mahle bearings  Cry
so not all KS are good
used them anyway
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 16:18:31 pm »

Also had some problems with KS they were the wrong size. Stock sized on the box but they did not fit on the the crank and measured out to almost 0.20mm to small!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
mymedusa

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 21:08:44 pm »

Also had some problems with KS they were the wrong size. Stock sized on the box but they did not fit on the the crank and measured out to almost 0.20mm to small!

x2
GreenTom

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:20 am »

My 2c. KS bearings were really grate for long time... unfortunately the quality f them is worse and worse. It started with mixed sizes of bearings in one box (quite often in a box of 0.5x0.25x21 you could get center main in STD or all bearings totally different than it was on the box). And it wasn't 1 box of 10 it was let’s say 3 of 10...
At the moment new KS bearings are carp... with light center (split) main bearing. Even CB started to sell genuine STD heavy center main bearings separately. I heard from my machine shop (they are in business for over 35 years and always worked on KS) that KS doesn’t do bearings any more, they make offers for factories – the cheapest wins – I hope it’s not true.
I did my last engine on Silver line (which is, as they say, factory VW bearings for 1.6i Mexico engines). They are really nice but have to be careful with setting end play.
Mahle bearings I used to use are ok, quality is all the time the same, no mixed sizes of bearings etc...

Sintermetal... total carp... good maybe for (shity - made cheep and just "to be") 1200 engines.

If someone has old KS lets say 6 years and older (the older the better) he've got a real treasure.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 10:07:10 am »

Sintermetals are crap - I had to deburr them because I couldn't put them on crank Roll Eyes
jr59

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »

HI Actually
YOu almost ask the seller if ther are trimetal (backed steeled ) or not! Wink
In most case the actual set from KS or Malhe are comming with very light main central  bearing ...I can't even tell you how much  they can last on a stock engine!!
Most of the bearing from the suppliers are sh..T!
This is a real problem for us and for most of all the VW scene!
We just received someheavy  glyco ones in std/std
performance from our aircooled engine still grow every year but now the bearing quaility really don't follow that! what a shame..
JR

henk

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 12:45:15 pm »

can post some pics of those sintermetal bearings?

here is a picture af the bearings.
i'm not gonna use them,they look like cheesy aluminium.

henk!!!
pupjoint

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 17:43:22 pm »

HI Actually
YOu almost ask the seller if ther are trimetal (backed steeled ) or not! Wink
In most case the actual set from KS or Malhe are comming with very light main central  bearing ...I can't even tell you how much  they can last on a stock engine!!
Most of the bearing from the suppliers are sh..T!
This is a real problem for us and for most of all the VW scene!
We just received someheavy  glyco ones in std/std
performance from our aircooled engine still grow every year but now the bearing quaility really don't follow that! what a shame..
JR

i got a set of those also, but no chance for a pic yet. 

they come in rather big white, red and blue box?  think it says Made in Europe or something on the box
SlingShot

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 03:14:33 am »

I did my last engine on Silver line (which is, as they say, factory VW bearings for 1.6i Mexico engines). They are really nice but have to be careful with setting end play.
Mahle bearings I used to use are ok, quality is all the time the same, no mixed sizes of bearings etc...

What have you experienced with setting endplay?

Will Race For Beer !!!
Shag55

Shag Leone, SL-1racing

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 16:08:47 pm »

I prefer the KSs as well and try to keep a stash away. All bearings should be checked regardless of brand.

325hp and 290# torque @17psi on 91 pump
383hp and 324# torque @23psi on 50/50 mix
Shag55.sl1racing@gmail.com
Facebook at SL 1 racing
GreenTom

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 17:12:39 pm »

What have you experienced with setting endplay?

With those silverline I ended with quite a big end play. Had to use really thick shims (don't remember but I think I used something around 1,1mm shims total to get about 0,15mm end play (I use dial gauge instead filler gauge).
After run in and checking the end play finally ended up with around 0,96ish mm of shims to get 0,13-0,15mm endplay.
The engine cases halves were machined on sealing surface and than everything remachined (cam, crank, oil pump, crank seal, etc... to its diameters), but I don't think it has something to do with the end play. I got another 2 engines with silverline bearings and will see if it will be the same (one will be machined as the one I mentioned and another will be genuine alycase).

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Type1/DVK

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 20:23:05 pm »

I remember that Udo has good experiences with Silverline's, i've orderd a set to and the ''look'' really nice, let see if it's up to any good. (have to build yet)

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
GreenTom

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 21:48:59 pm »

I remember that Udo has good experiences with Silverline's, i've orderd a set to and the ''look'' really nice, let see if it's up to any good. (have to build yet)

Yes they look very nice, the center main is heavy as it should be. At the moment my No.1 on the market.

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
henk

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 20:16:40 pm »

i bought a new set last week of KS.
the probleme with these are now that the bearing on the side of the flywheel does not fit the case.
the "U-profile" of the bearing is to small,looks like it has to been machined out a bit to fit.
has anybody had this or done this before?
the sintermetal looks like crap but they did fit much better.

henk!!!
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 20:34:28 pm »

Clemex bearing also have the steel back center main as well.

Hahaha your killing me.........
tezer

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 09:18:08 am »

enny body have experince whit the clemex bearing?
is the oil groove in the back of the bearing or is on cranksahaft side?
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 14:18:34 pm »

The clemex bearing have the oil groove on the inside. The finish is not as good as the Sliver Line. Will posted photos later as I'm out at the mo.  Smiley

Hahaha your killing me.........
Type1/DVK

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 22:56:58 pm »

Clemex has also nice camshaft bearings, don't know about the crank versions.. Don't use Sintermetal.

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: