The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:49:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Sarge! What was it like...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sarge! What was it like...  (Read 4172 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« on: April 13, 2009, 02:15:40 am »

...to buy a brand new VW Bug?

Was spending some time with The Book II last night and your blue '69 caught my attenion again.  This goes for others who were able to do it as well.  Let hear it...lots of us here were never able because we just weren't here yet!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:32:09 am »

hey Gabbard what did the plate on the black KG mean?
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:21:37 am »

Was spending some time with The Book II last night and your blue '69 caught my attenion again.  This goes for others who were able to do it as well.  Let hear it...lots of us here were never able because we just weren't here yet!

Buying a car brand new car for less the $2,000 would be hard to imagine nowadays.  Back in 1969 it was big money for somebody making $6,000 a year, though.  I was blind to other makes of cars having been a VW nut from the start, so it was the natural thing to buy once I got out of the Army and it was pretty much all Sharon and I could afford.  I still had my '63, so Sharon got to drive the new car from the start.  I remember adding some chrome rims after I got my job at Auto Haus, then a quick shift kit and soon thereafter one of the first S&S Quiet Pack exhaust systems.  It wasn't until I took the job at the Porsche Audi dealership in 1974 that the front end came down, black trim, 914 Mahle alloys and a mild 1776 Kadron / Engle 110 engine combo entered the picture.  Those were the days..... Cool Grin

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:33 am »

Buying a car brand new car for less the $2,000 would be hard to imagine nowadays.  Back in 1969 it was big money for somebody making $6,000 a year, though.  I was blind to other makes of cars having been a VW nut from the start, so it was the natural thing to buy once I got out of the Army and it was pretty much all Sharon and I could afford.  I still had my '63, so Sharon got to drive the new car from the start.  I remember adding some chrome rims after I got my job at Auto Haus, then a quick shift kit and soon thereafter one of the first S&S Quiet Pack exhaust systems.  It wasn't until I took the job at the Porsche Audi dealership in 1974 that the front end came down, black trim, 914 Mahle alloys and a mild 1776 Kadron / Engle 110 engine combo entered the picture.  Those were the days..... Cool Grin

So, just how long did it remain Sharon's car?  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:47:58 am »

Hmmmm, let's see... I'm thinking October of 1969 by the date on this pic from Carlsbad  Roll Eyes Wink

The interior shot reveals a chrome glove box door, coco mats, Empi slick shift kit, and a Muntz "Blue Light" four track tape deck.  The speedo shot was taken on the road when the odometer clicked off the first 1,000 miles.  My apologies for the crappy Instamatic photos.... Sad

DKP III
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:14:48 am »

, Like the car was ruff---huh. It needed a better body man, The car was ruf,huh!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:19:11 am by danny gabbard » Logged

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:25:38 am »

, Like the car was ruff---huh. It needed a better body man, The car was ruf,huh!
I always thought it was a precaution to any Porsche Ruf owner. Cool
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:55:53 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
javabug

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 13:15:27 pm »

Thanks...I like that you and Sharon bought the car new, and used and improved it for 20 years or so. 

Its still somewhat mind-boggling to me the thought of walking into your local friendly dealership and driving away with one that has zero miles.  I'd probably still check underneath to make sure the heater channels were in solid shape in the showroom!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 13:56:23 pm »

I remember going with my parents to the VW dealership to buy our '76 Westy. It was cool driving it off the showroom floor.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 14:25:20 pm »

I remember being in 1st grade and buying our 1968 Savannah Beige Beetle, brand new, at the dealership. My Dad got rear-ended in that car. We had a new engine installed and had all of the bodywork redone. But the car was never quite the same. So, in 1969, we bought a new beige Fastback. I'll never forget that new Volkswagen smell of the interior.

Sarge, that must've been awesome to be of driving age, buy your own new VW, then modify it so you can enjoy it. Good stuff.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 14:45:02 pm »

Hmmmm, let's see... I'm thinking October of 1969 by the date on this pic from Carlsbad  Roll Eyes Wink

The interior shot reveals a chrome glove box door

Chrome glove box door + mini skirt =  Grin

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
67worshipper

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 15:25:37 pm »

i like yer thinkin og Grin

vw hot rod heaven
nicolas

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 20:02:41 pm »

i like yer thinkin og Grin

chrome glove box door + bloke in tennisshorts =  Lips Sealed
deano

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 21:00:42 pm »

I late '67, my brother and I went over to our local VW dealer in La Habra, to look at buying a new '67. He wanted a Java Green one, and they had a ton of them on the floor and outside in the lot! Oh, mercy! Anyway, the salesman talked us out of buying a '67 since the all-new '68s were about 2-3 weeks away. Like a idiot, he waited, and came back to see the '68s. We did not like what we saw and drove away. That is as close to buying a new VW as we came. The used car lot was full of '60s, but not too many buses or T-3s. Hard to imagine that scene today. I still drive by the old dealership every once and awhile but no more VWs on the lot.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
javabug

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 13:48:05 pm »

All good stories so far, guys.  Thanks a bunch.  Probably the only thing better than buying a new VW in the 60s/70s is buying a new VW in the 60s/70s in Southern California!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 16:47:18 pm »

All good stories so far, guys.  Thanks a bunch.  Probably the only thing better than buying a new VW in the 60s/70s is buying a new VW in the 60s/70s in Southern California!

You've got that right !!!   Grin Grin Grin  NOTHING

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 16:49:14 pm »

You've got that right !!!   Grin Grin Grin  NOTHING

Sorry, got happy fingers and pushed the button to soon.  What I was saying is NOTHING was better than being in SoCal during those years and having a VW and great friends was simply Icing on the Cake................

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: