The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 14:42:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350784 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  This should be fun - SPG's and The Drag Strip - Discus!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: This should be fun - SPG's and The Drag Strip - Discus!?  (Read 6712 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: March 06, 2009, 14:27:45 pm »

Well this should open a nice big can of worm  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I am in the process of having my 82mm SPG rebuilt out in the States by Gary Holznecht the original builder of Lil Snort

I will post some pic's of his AWSOME work later But I thought you guys might also like to know that Gary has been doing A LOT of
R&D with these old cranks and he now has them seeing OVER 300bhp on Turbo motors ON THE DRAG STRIP! 

He has modified the rollers he uses and now uses a different type of "Pin" and best of all he can now WELD them so they can be taken apart in the future if needed, there are also a coulpe of other little tricks up his sleve  Wink Grin

So Guys - SPG's and The Drag Strip - Discus!?

You either "Get It" or you don't......
alex d

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 14:37:11 pm »

you know it won't work  Grin don't worry I'll take care of your useless old parts  Wink

Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 14:47:17 pm »

You're a nutcase Lee! But it sounds like you've got someone who knows what they're doing to sort it out, so good work! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ESH

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 16:19:50 pm »

If you have someone like Gary who knows how to make them work on the case then it'll likely be fine. I don't doubt for a second that they can be made to work but the conventional wisdom is that they don't like shock so the horsepower itself isn't necessarily the problem. Most people will go down a route that's tried and tested and for the simple life you'd have to argue for a good forged crank but it doesn't necessarily hurt to do things differently. Getting an SPG to work in this case just becomes a case of there being an additional cost in carrying out the correct modifications. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the work, it sounds like there's some cool work being done on it. What is very cool is that there are people out there who put their time into stuff like this and get it to work.

Smiley
Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 20:20:40 pm »

If you have someone like Gary who knows how to make them work on the case then it'll likely be fine. I don't doubt for a second that they can be made to work but the conventional wisdom is that they don't like shock so the horsepower itself isn't necessarily the problem. Most people will go down a route that's tried and tested and for the simple life you'd have to argue for a good forged crank but it doesn't necessarily hurt to do things differently. Getting an SPG to work in this case just becomes a case of there being an additional cost in carrying out the correct modifications. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the work, it sounds like there's some cool work being done on it. What is very cool is that there are people out there who put their time into stuff like this and get it to work.

Smiley

VERY VERY well put dude Smiley give me a minute and I'll post some pic's - I think you'll like what you see  Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 20:30:35 pm »

Here we go  Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 20:34:17 pm »

No 2 the 6 piece's rested together  Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 20:36:41 pm »

No 3 the Old pin's  Shocked Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 20:44:54 pm »

No 4 HMMMMMMMMM polished crank piece's  Grin

Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 20:45:45 pm »

more polished steel  Grin

Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 20:47:17 pm »

It did need a new end section though as Gary though it had thrown a flywheel at some point, this the new one its also being wedgemated  Shocked  Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 20:49:24 pm »

So what ya think guys  Huh Wink Smiley

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 20:55:13 pm »

As long as you do not rev it to high you should be fine. You do not want to know what happened to a engine that belonged to a friend when he missed a gear and reved 10500 according to the memory function on his tach.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
JS

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 20:55:33 pm »

I think this is an excellent example of using old obsolete parts, using twice the amount of money a modern alternative would cost. And I LOVE it!   Grin

Signature.
Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 21:13:11 pm »

As long as you do not rev it to high you should be fine. You do not want to know what happened to a engine that belonged to a friend when he missed a gear and reved 10500 according to the memory function on his tach.

Best rgs
BB

Hmmm, you see I have been thinking about this alot since our chats with Richie, Nicolas, and Mr Rhoads  and I know alot of people associate these cranks with old industrial engines BUT they were also heavily used in sprint cars and Formula Vee style racers which LOVE to rev and I have heard of them going over 11k Shocked  Grin

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 21:19:58 pm »

Loving the SPG Wink

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 21:27:28 pm »

Best rgs
BB

Hmmm, you see I have been thinking about this alot since our chats with Richie, Nicolas, and Mr Rhoads  and I know alot of people associate these cranks with old industrial engines BUT they were also heavily used in sprint cars and Formula Vee style racers which LOVE to rev and I have heard of them going over 11k Shocked  Grin

That`s the beauty with them, they rev like there is no tomorrow until they give up... which usually means a shitload of money is wasted.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Lee.C

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 21:33:30 pm »

Loving the SPG Wink

I forgot just how much I love that little car and the fact it runs an SPG Grin

Kalle you are right But hey you only live once Wink Smiley

nicolas

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:12 am »

Smiley

very well put. but i like it better if we don't encourage him that much.  Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 12:03:19 pm »

Smiley

very well put. but i like it better if we don't encourage him that much.  Grin

Wink Smiley

ESH

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 20:37:20 pm »

... very well put. but i like it better if we don't encourage him that much ...

Don't wory, that's as far as I'm going with encouragement, in fact I just put some kitty litter and dust pan and brush in the post for him just in case, for want of a better way of putting it any parts come up with an "exit strategy"...

Shocked  Tongue
Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 02:34:53 am »

All I'm worried about is..........

My poor rear tires when I'm leaving you guys eatin my dust  Tongue Wink Kiss Smiley

SlingShot

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 06:53:44 am »

I love pumping new life into vintage parts.
The crank looks good would like to see pics when it's all done.
Does anyone know of and SPG rod problems? Just curious.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Lee.C

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 20:06:24 pm »

I love pumping new life into vintage parts.
The crank looks good would like to see pics when it's all done.
Does anyone know of and SPG rod problems? Just curious.

The only problem I have heard of is them breaking! BUT Gary has been doing a lot of R&D and he has found that removing the "Casting marks" helps ALOT Smiley

I should have some New pic's soon guys  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: