The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 18:22:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350767 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Floorpan v Ladder Bar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Floorpan v Ladder Bar  (Read 4018 times)
elanvalley

« on: August 23, 2008, 20:05:56 pm »

I am thinking of going ladder bar rear end and removing frame horns mounting engine in the tubes.  If I do will my car still be floorpan or what will it be.  All contributions welcome.
Prowagen

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 22:36:21 pm »

I suppose technically it will still be a pan car, but be what they call Back Halfed. I think the PRA superstreet rules run a few similar cars. Just what I picked up on the OSV videos so I could be wrong!?!?!
Adele AW

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:00:20 am »

I 'think' the PRA super street cars have to run a 'stock' rear suspension set-up, heavily raised and modified but essentially they have to run torsion bars and spring plates.

Yours will still be a pan car just backhalved like Rob says!

O/FF 621
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 17:46:49 pm »

Check on the PRA site for rules for this matter. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Travis

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 19:55:52 pm »

I always thought that the definition of a floorpan car was stock tunnel and torsion bar at the rear. As this is the main part
of the structure. The pan halves are not inportant. So if you ladder Bar a car, it is a half cage and therefore, u need a motor plate
for mounting purposes.
deanosvws

OFF 24

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 00:25:19 am »

personally with a tube car the chassis is all tubes fr to back side to side etc, a pan car is exactly that has the spine and pans of the original  car regardless of suspension type. motor plates in my opinion are gear box mounts nothing more nothing less, just a different design to a normal solid mount kit or any other way of mounting the box. ladder bars work well and are a very simple way of doing it, cheers dean

OUTLAW FLAT FOUR
Travis

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:19:47 am »

personally with a tube car the chassis is all tubes fr to back side to side etc, a pan car is exactly that has the spine and pans of the original  car regardless of suspension type. motor plates in my opinion are gear box mounts nothing more nothing less, just a different design to a normal solid mount kit or any other way of mounting the box. ladder bars work well and are a very simple way of doing it, cheers dean
When a car has its rear torsion tube removed the rear suspension is held together by the cage. So making it a half cage car or in the states a chapan car.
Also, the frame horns are a structural part of the chassis and they will have been cut off.
Ladder bars have an advantage over factory and are lighter and easy tune for launches
ESH

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 20:52:53 pm »

Dave's running 10.30's and that wasn't even 'on it'.  Cheesy

Sorry, I think I'm on the wrong thread, as you were...  Tongue
elanvalley

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 19:48:33 pm »

I have noted this reply to the question under another site

"Pan car means it uses a stock vw pan and chassis which utilizes a factory torsion housing with torsion bars and spring plates-

A ladder bar replaces the torsion bar and spring plate with a coil over and ladder bar.  You can install a ladder bar on a pan- some call this a chapan car-  so the floor pan has nothing to do with it- in short a PAN car is factory style torsion housing suspension-

and no ladder bar cars are not factory so they are not legal in stock suspension classes"

Lets keep it rolling.  So far looking like ladder bars are in a class of there own!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: