The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 19:28:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cylinder Head Temp Gauge. How Hot is Too Hot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge. How Hot is Too Hot?  (Read 4378 times)
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« on: May 07, 2008, 08:30:23 am »

This is a question that has always baffled me. VDO have been doing a head temp gauge for many years now, but I have never had concrete info on what is considered too high head temps. Anyone out there know what max head temps should be? Anyone running head temp gauges? What do you consider too hot guys?

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:56:17 am »

I used a VDO head temp gauge in my Camper tow vehicle with 044 Magnum heads on an 1835 – it would read (I say 'read' as who knows what the true temp was or how accurate the gauge/sender really is) around 270–280 degrees while cruising without load, rising to about 300 degrees when climbing a hill (with trailer). As soon as I backed off the throttle, like coasting down hill, it would almost immediately drop back to about 230–240 degrees – sometimes less. At idle, it would settle to about 220 degrees.  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
ESH

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

I don't think they're generally designed for an air-cooled motor. Mine sits towards the top of the scale so I just use it as a guide. It moves a little under load and the drop you see in the rain would seem to indicate that water could be used to good effect for cooling.
 Tongue
alex d

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:07:30 am »

readings also depend a lot on the location of the sender...I find that fitting it under the plug is a PITA so I just put it on an exhaust stud
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:34:16 am »

readings also depend a lot on the location of the sender...I find that fitting it under the plug is a PITA so I just put it on an exhaust stud

I put mine under a second nut on a head stud. Not as accurate as under a plug, but as long as you are just looking for a change, not an actual reading it's ok.

On a couple of circuit race cars I've seen the guages mounted at all sorts of angles and when I asked why, I was told that under normal race conditions, all the needle are pointing straight up - that way the driver notices quicker if something is wrong as the needle will move left or right and the thinking time for working out how different it is to normal is not needed! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Udo

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:46:28 am »

I used a VDO head temp gauge in my Camper tow vehicle with 044 Magnum heads on an 1835 – it would read (I say 'read' as who knows what the true temp was or how accurate the gauge/sender really is) around 270–280 degrees while cruising without load, rising to about 300 degrees when climbing a hill (with trailer). As soon as I backed off the throttle, like coasting down hill, it would almost immediately drop back to about 230–240 degrees – sometimes less. At idle, it would settle to about 220 degrees.  Smiley

Hi Keith

I think with original heads and 90,5's you would have lower temperatures . We messured our temperatures years ago on street engiens and had a max of 220 . Most we backed off the throttle from 200 degrees on . 280 is real hot
On a stud like head stud or exaust the temperature is much lower than under the spark plug .
Udo
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:48:41 am by Udo » Logged

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 17:42:49 pm »

I always used the under spark plug sender from VDO but I've never really trusted the actual readings on the gauge – I used it more to see how much the temp increased under load. Also, don't forget, I was using a fully-equipped Type 2 Camper, towing a race car on a four-wheel-trailer, with spares, tools etc... I'm amazed it did it so well!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Udo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 19:44:26 pm »

i know that your engine must run hotter than in a beetle . But it is for sure that original heads with 90,5 pistons run much cooler than 044 with 94's . This combination is good for the most head temperature .

Udo

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: