The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:36:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  PBS HOST HUELL HOWSER PASSES
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PBS HOST HUELL HOWSER PASSES  (Read 4192 times)
johnl

« on: January 08, 2013, 03:20:51 am »

I'm sure many of you reading this have no idea who or what a Huell Howser was.  For those of us who live in California and watch PBS television I don't need to tell you what this man brought to our state.

For a number of years he would go places in our state that most of us never knew existed.  He was a quirky character with a Southern Draw and would repeat exactly what the person he was interviewing would say.

Over the years he took us to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, the top of the tallest building west of the Mississippi River, the Hollywood Sign, the steps where Laurel & Hardy carried the piano up those stairs and the list goes on and on.  Once he came to Main St. in Garden where I live and did his show while the Friday Night Cruise was going on.  He also did a show on Anaheim that touched on many of the places even the locals probably didn't know about.  We kept a copy of that one and always enjoy watching it.  Just last week Christie and I drove to Newhall to tour the William S. Hart home and museum that we would have never known about had we not seen his show on it.

Back in November Huell quietly retired from doing his show and gifted much of his estate and documents from the years of his shows to Chapman College in Orange.  There was speculation that he was dealing with a health issue and today we learned that he passed away on the evening of January 6th.

I for one will miss his smiling face and country voice telling me stories of my state.  Just finished watching a program on Socal PBS where he actually sang California here I Come which his shows ended with.  I'd never seen that one before and it brought a smile to my face for all of the good times he provided to me and countless others who watched his shows.  Here is a link on him:  http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/07/5097913/california-gold-host-huell-howser.html

God's speed Huell, we'll miss you..............  Cry Cry Cry

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:26:11 am »

Huell took us to the top of the Golden Gate...........

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Bryan67

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:01:52 am »

He also took us to the dry lakes and on a Manx club run.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Hecker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:06:46 am »

I personally liked the visit ot the Norconian Club in Norco. Lots of history, hard to find.

It sits near a Naval Testing Facility and a State Prison. There is a lake where they raced
boats long ago.
johnl

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:53 am »

Corny, I guess so, but I think it is GREAT.............

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4uAYcHUP2iE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4uAYcHUP2iE</a>

Larry S

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:45:43 am »

He was great, I remember when he first started in L.A. (channel 2 I think) I thought, man no way was this guy going to survive in this area. he had his accent and seemed way to nice, but survive he did, my Dad and i always looked forward to watching him so us parts (and special people) of California most people never got to see.

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
johnl

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:45:24 am »

He was great, I remember when he first started in L.A. (channel 2 I think) I thought, man no way was this guy going to survive in this area. he had his accent and seemed way to nice, but survive he did, my Dad and i always looked forward to watching him so us parts (and special people) of California most people never got to see.

Just another example of not appreciating something or someone until they are gone.  Sometimes if you just stop and take a close look at what is right in front of you things will be much more rewarding.  I've said it before and I'll do it again, life is short and you only get one shot at it so make the most of each day and be kind to your fellow man.

MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:31:05 am »

Great show & he will be missed!
stealth67vw

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 21:58:38 pm »

One of the few things I miss about living in California was Huell's show. RIP

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
johnl

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 00:21:26 am »

One of the few things I miss about living in California was Huell's show. RIP

There are selected shows of his still being shown on TV and I guess that will continue.  Watched a couple last night and it is hard to believe he is gone.  If you are old enough and lived here prior to Huell there was Ralph Story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Story who did somewhat the same type of show.  Occasionally PBS will show a couple of programs on Ralph, Things that aren't here anymore and Things that aren't here anymore part 2.  They are really good and make you remember how it was.

That program is hosted by Stephanie Edwards http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/stephanie-edwards who started out as Ralph's secretary way back.  You may know here if you watch the KTLA Roseparade with Bob Eubanks and Stephanie Edwards.  Most don't know this but she is the daughter of Ralph Edwards who created and hosted 'This is Your Life' back in the '50s and '60'.

Ralph Story and Huell Howser, we were fortunate to have them both telling us stories about our state that would have gone undiscovered.  They are both gone now and I doubt we'll ever see the likes of them again.  Sad, very sad.   Sad

There will be a memorial this coming Tuesday at Griffith Park for Huell although he didn't want any such event.  The outpouring of love for this man and what he brought to us prompted some to put the event together.  Even LA's mayor Tony has ordered flags in the city lowered to half staff on that day.

johnl

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 00:50:12 am »

I stand corrected.  Stephanie Edwards is NOT the daughter of Ralph Edwards.  I'd heard this for years but with just a bit of reseach I've found that not to be the cars.

stealth67vw

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:21:12 am »

I moved up here to Oregon in 2003 and they don't show California's Gold on Oregon Public Broadcasting.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 21:31:31 pm »

Losing Huell Howser in our household was like Big Bird or Cookie Monster passing on. My kids LOVE his shows. Not sure if it's his voice, or the content of the shows, but both boys will always request a DVR'd California's Gold episode or Road Trip with Huell Howser. I guess it makes sense, being they're my offspring...many of you probably know I have a weird obsession with visiting some (very) off the beaten path places in CA.
Always kinda thought Mary Ann, the kids and I would run into him somewhere like Alpaugh, Maricopa or Camp Nelson CA. My wife's relatives had met him somewhere (Long Beach I think) and said what a genuinely nice guy he was.
If he was still around I'd like to say thanks for all the fun shows.

RIP
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: