The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 22:10:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  90/10 shocks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 90/10 shocks  (Read 3262 times)
Garrick Clark

« on: August 29, 2010, 20:20:34 pm »

Hi guys, I'm trying to find out where to get some 90/10 shocks so the  front of my bug will lift and transfer weight to the rear.(ball joint front end)
I have read that people are using standard shocks to achieve this but my bug has been lowered so the standard shocks would be too long.
I dont want to raise the front as i am also in the process of converting the track rods to the J.C.L style and need to have the car lowered so i dont have to clearance the frame head too much.
So which shocks should i be buying and and where do i get them from in the uk.
I need to get these before i do any tunnel clearance work as the overall length of the shocks will determine how much clearance  work  i need to do

Thanks for any replies
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 20:39:34 pm by GARRICK.CLARK » Logged

Air cooled Engine builder
autohausdolby

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 13:43:17 pm »

I found the short KYBs to be more than short enough for this - they were actually a struggle to get in the beam because they were so short. I bought them because I was struggling to find the almost legendary 90/10s in the UK  Grin

Because of a quirk in the way my adjusters were welded in there was almost no travel in my front suspension - the car could be lifted (just!) by one person at the front end and easily by 2 as it was so light, even with a full street weight stock beam and front drum brakes and a 1 gallon cell full of race gas. I found it to be ideal - the car launched well with the front tyres just touching the track. I had a bit too much squat due to stock rear torsion bars though Smiley
autohausdolby

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 13:50:15 pm »

Can JCL not sell you some shocks to match the rest of the set-up? I know it means importing them but it might be the best option Smiley
Garrick Clark

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 16:25:38 pm »

Hi there.
Thanks for your reply.
I'd have thought these shocks would be readily available as from what i can gather they are a must have 1/4 mile shock and with that loads of folk would want a pair.
The J.C.L Track rod method is one that i'm going to copy,just ordered the rose joint's etc from Mcgill motor sports.
So i really need to get some of these shocks fast so i can start trial fitting the new track rods, and the overall length of the shocks  is needed  when before i can go any further with it.
I have read that the 64 - 74 crysler shock is a close match dont no how true that is tho.
A think i need a pair thats 10" compressed and 15" extended.

Cheers.

autohausdolby

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 18:46:47 pm »

It was 5+ years ago when I was looking and at the time I was told Ian Clark at Wolfsburg Performance was the man to go to for them, but when i rang him he said he didn't bother with them anymore Smiley
jay c

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 22:58:56 pm »

i have competition engineering 90/10 shocks(code number COE2620) on the front of my 67. Got them from w.a.s.p and they fitted straight on my lowered front end. They are actually 3 way adjustable ,90/10 ,80/20 and 70/30
Garrick Clark

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 19:14:38 pm »

Cheers for that jay c al be looking in to getting me a pair of those. Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: