The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 21:41:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  A and B stroke piston weights and other questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A and B stroke piston weights and other questions  (Read 1648 times)
RFbuilt

« on: June 19, 2011, 11:01:09 am »

greetings guys, 

ive been wondering, lets say  on a "inbetween" stroke  , (i say that cuz  the bigger stroke sometimes are easier to configure)

74-76mm stroke 

these strokes can be used with 5.4" stock length rods  , with a decent amount of barrel spacers 
and we all know alot of engines like this have been built , using A pin height pistons ofcourse

i wonder though  given the same stroke  , using a 5.5" rod length would be possible with a B stroke piston height
example 
lets say a 74mm stroke   + 5.5" rod length, maybe would need 1mm to 1.5mm of turning on the barrels to give use
decent deckheight in the region of 0.040-0.050" depending on case height

the question is (for me atleast)   

does the benefit of B stroke pistons (lighter since theyre shorter) outweigh the hassle of running longer rods
and or  turning barrels ?

i know eliminating the barrel spacers, and making the motor a lil less narrow is a benefit but im wondering strictly on piston benefit alone   

is it something we could notice in performance/drivability  , the weight difference of the piston
+ the added weight of the 5.5 rod vs 5.4 

im imagining on a high rpm highly tuned engine.. it might be beneficial , longer rods, wrist pin closer to the top of the piston for less "rock" at tdc and bdc , but how bout for a hot street engine? 

if this is such a useless question pls dont shoot me
its my 5th cup of coffee already  Cheesy

RF
RFbuilt

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:32:27 am »

sorry i realize a hot street engine is  as vague as it can be LOL

to clarify,   a 6000-6500rpm kind of motor 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: