The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:31:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  NOVA- New VAT rules for importng cars to UK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NOVA- New VAT rules for importng cars to UK  (Read 3742 times)
Russell

« on: February 14, 2013, 18:43:21 pm »

Hi all

see below, just to keep you up to date.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nova/

Russell
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 17:18:50 pm by VW Gasser Garage » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 17:17:14 pm »

OK Guys

Had my first dealing with this yesterday, if you are importing via an agent from outwith the EU to UK no problems as of yet...

However, if you buy a car in Europe and take it to the UK yourself be very careful you have to put the sellers name, addess etc and how much you paid, they then access and can add up to 20% vat plus duty if applicable.......

No longer as easy as register it at DVLA, as they need the NOVA number beforehand !!!

Trying to register a 52 split i bought in London from a guy who bought it in Belgium, however the car was exported to French Morroco when new (out with the EU) but France governed this country untill 1955.... and they charge £5 a day for late notification and the car was imported over a year ago........ not so easy !

Best Regards

Russell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 19:37:46 pm »

Russell, It says that if the car has an engine over 48 cc it must have VAT paid on it, what if you import a car with no engine?

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Russell

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 22:25:55 pm »

I think they mean as built or designed with so the fact there is no engine will not make any difference unles you can fit a 48cc in it and then you have to notify them of the alterations !

Nice try !

Best Regards

Russell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 23:50:40 pm »

The other thing I feel is that a used car has already had VAT paid in the original EU country, my understanding is that under freedom of movement no VAT is liable.  This is true for all goods boose, cigarettes and cars.  I would believe you could take them to court and claim back any VAT, as this is illegal under EU law.

If you're ordering or sending purchased goods (other than alcohol and tobacco) to the UK from another EU country then it's just like shopping in the UK:

there is no Customs Duty payable
    there is no import VAT payable, unless you're ordering or sending purchased goods from one of the EU 'Special Territories' and if the value of the goods is £15 or more, however from 1 April 2012 all merchandise sent to the UK from the Channel Islands is subject to VAT - see below
    there is no Excise Duty to pay
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 23:54:54 pm by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Andy

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 00:48:04 am »

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the '52 Split.
I have a project car that came in from Europe that has been sat in a barn, in bits, for years. If they want me to pay £5 per day, that will add up to more than I paid for the car.

The HMRC page does say, a used car imported for personal use, from Europe, will not be charged VAT so long as VAT has already been paid, i.e. when it was new.
Scoops

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:25:01 am »

Just got my customs forms this morning to fill in for Jims Oval which is heading to these shores. Be interesting to see how an import from the USA is treated....
Russell

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 23:55:46 pm »

the import from the usa will be easy, i assume its a C384 form you are filling in ? dont make the purchase price too high, also make sure it matchs the Bill of Sale.

Best Regards

Russell
Jesus

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 20:26:30 pm »

I think they mean as built or designed with so the fact there is no engine will not make any difference unles you can fit a 48cc in it and then you have to notify them of the alterations !

Nice try !

I got screwed by this on friday and wish I'd seen this thread first,

I've got a 48cc mobylette,

DVLA in wimbeldon insisted i needed one,

I read it realised I didn't so went back with print out of the rules in hand,

then they still wouldn't register as said i need a engineers letter saying he has checked my engine and it is 48cc and under,

what a crock, cant believe i had to teach them about it. They dont know their arse from their elbows.

A mate will be writting a letter for me but a wasted day running about trying to get it registered and more days i won't be enjoying my new commute  Grin

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Russell

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 23:35:09 pm »

Nice try !

I got screwed by this on friday and wish I'd seen this thread first,

I've got a 48cc mobylette,

DVLA in wimbeldon insisted i needed one,

I read it realised I didn't so went back with print out of the rules in hand,

then they still wouldn't register as said i need a engineers letter saying he has checked my engine and it is 48cc and under,

what a crock, cant believe i had to teach them about it. They dont know their arse from their elbows.

A mate will be writting a letter for me but a wasted day running about trying to get it registered and more days i won't be enjoying my new commute  Grin

beat the system and send the application to swansea !!!!

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: