The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 08:13:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350769 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Weber emulsion tube chart
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Weber emulsion tube chart  (Read 5145 times)
folkevogn

« on: August 21, 2013, 09:06:02 am »

As the subject says, I'm trying to find a chart that describes the characteristics of the different emulsion tubes. I remember seeing one here on the Lounge(I think) sometime ago but I cant find it. Tried to google it but the closest i got was a hand written note. The reason for asking is that my new engine is running a little bit rich around 4500-5000rpm(lambda ca 0,8) and leans out at around 7000rpm(lambda 0,95+ if I remember correctly). On the dyno we ended up using F9's(what we had in hand) with 165 main and 170 air. I have swapped the 165 main with a 170 to be on the safe side at the top end of the rpm range but I would like to try other emulsion tubes to see if it can cure the "problem". I haven't had the time to put on the cooling tins and try it on the street yet so I'm not sure how it feels driving around in traffic. I maid three passes down the 1/4 mile at SCC 2013 and couldn't feel it being rich(not building up power as it does above 5000rpm), but then again the engine probably spent most of it time above 5000rpm  Grin (not sure, to busy keeping my eyes on the road). Anyway, from the information I have found it seems like I should try F2's or F11's. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated, any no funny jokes about swapping the carbs for EFI please  Grin

Further plans:

1. Try the JPM venturies
2. Put on stepped and tuned to length header.

I will do all the improvements step by step on the dyno to see how it affects the torque and horsepower. I'm not sure but these improvements(hopefully Grin) might also affect the lambda values through the rpm range.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:17:11 am by folkevogn » Logged

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Speed-demon

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:47:47 pm »

If I were you I woud change to some kind of programmable crank trigger ignition too. And make some more runs in Jee's dyno...
JS

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 13:00:01 pm »

A programmable what?  Cheesy

Signature.
MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 13:19:24 pm »

As the subject says, I'm trying to find a chart that describes the characteristics of the different emulsion tubes. 2. Put on stepped and tuned to length header.

Hi

This is one of the best and most detailed lists.

http://www.webercarburatori.com/?p=handbook&s=2

MeXX

Drag or Die
folkevogn

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 13:54:16 pm »

If I were you I woud change to some kind of programmable crank trigger ignition too. And make some more runs in Jee's dyno...

Hehe, I knew this subject would come up and you are so right, BUT ... Grin then there's "the look". I have a dewil on one shoulder telling me to go for a crank trigger or latest MSD system with adjustable timing advance, and on the other shoulder there's a angel telling me to stick with "the look". As you know I'm currently using a Mallory(not very old school, but closer than a MSD or crank trigger application) with a point. It proved to be reasonably stable until ca 6000rpm and a little "shaky" from 6000-8000rpm. We also did a pull with a MSD(AL 6 I think) which proved to be much more stable above 6000rpm, but they both gave the same number on the dyno. I'm gone test the Mallory with a optic point to see if it helps keeping the advance more stable at high rpm and try to smooth out the lamda values with different emulsion tubes for a start and take it from there. Funny how we trow a lot of money into a engine build and then use a ignition system with point  Smiley maybe it's "the look" that is the dewil on the shoulder  Grin

folkevogn

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 14:02:52 pm »

As the subject says, I'm trying to find a chart that describes the characteristics of the different emulsion tubes. 2. Put on stepped and tuned to length header.

Hi

This is one of the best and most detailed lists.

http://www.webercarburatori.com/?p=handbook&s=2

MeXX

Thanks MeXX, I will check it out.

Speed-demon

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 22:31:29 pm »

Knasten makes trigger pattern on the flywheel. I think that you van run modern ignotion without anyone noticing.... Roll Eyes
folkevogn

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:16:54 am »

Knasten makes trigger pattern on the flywheel. I think that you van run modern ignotion without anyone noticing.... Roll Eyes

I would know  Wink but I might have to consider this at some point, as for now, I'm sticking with my ignition setup to see how it works with the optic point and hopefully the change of emulsion tube will fix the other "problem".

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: