The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 15:20:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  The 4" Bore Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: The 4" Bore Thread  (Read 234486 times)
smallblockcoupe

« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2009, 16:22:47 pm »

Thanks for all of the replies!

Karl h- could you explain this piston pin problem? Is it just that the pins are different sizes? If that's the case couldn't they be bushed?

Again, sorry for allot the questions am I trying to learn and am very interested in this 4" bore and hipo vw motors in general. While I don't have the machines or the skills alot of my customers do and a few used to have vws and a few more have expressed and interest in helping me with different projects.

Thanks,
Mike.
ugly duckling

« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2009, 20:07:01 pm »

i herar ya there tom. i drive 40 horses everyday im happy. if i had some power i would only turn into MR WEELER THE MAD MAN i get lots of tickects i couldent afford. one of these days it will happen again maybe. i would rather see other people have a good time . UD .   

Fiatdude

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2009, 05:04:01 am »

Fiatdude- I never thought about altering the pin height to compensate for a different length rod. Very interesting. What do you think about stock GM rods for a street motor? My thinking is that if they will handle the power and torque of a v8 say 400 or so they should be goodfor the beetle. Does this make sense? Am I crazy? Sorry for all of the questions about this, I work at an autoparts store an was staring at engine parts catalogs all night thinking of a way to make this more affordable. 

Thanks,
Mike.

A friend of mine just showed me a set of pistons where the wrist pin is set inside the oil ring -- talking about going to great lengths to get a long rod in the motor

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
smallblockcoupe

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2009, 05:32:20 am »

I believe that was common practice for the 347 ford motors. When people first started stroking the 302 to 347 this was "normal' as was heavy oil consumption. A few companies have since fixed this ...
karl h

« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:31 am »

a V8 piston pin is .927 (23.5mm), even bigger than a porsche pin that is 23mm. what i found is that honing the rod bushing for 23, let alone 23.5mm isnt possible, its too thin. so you are stuck with having it rebushed. its just not a matter of boring out the little end and sticking a bushing in, you have to have a machine that can hone the litlle end parallel to the big end. rimco wont do it, FAT might. locally (here in vienna) i was quoted 80€ per rod Tongue
so it seems less trouble to go searching for a piston with a 22mm pin thats also lighter in the firstplace and not having to modify the rods alltogether

smallblockcoupe

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2009, 08:23:17 am »

Karl h- now this is an area that I do not know much about but, coulnt you bush the piston? Would that make it easier then trying to hone the rods? I really have no clue if that's possible just an idea...
karl h

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »

i dont know if you can bush a piston, after all its aluminum, the bronze bushing would spread it, i think
furthermore youd have to deal with the clips and the oiling hole that most V8 pistons have
for me the adventages of using a piston that has a 22mm pin just outweights the price it costs

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:45 am »

So whatīs the scoop on these heads from DRD?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=828811

I think they are a pretty new porduct arenīt they?

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2009, 20:10:28 pm »

Love to see the chambers ... but, also look as though they could have the same problem as others which is hard to keep cool (minimal fins with long exhaust port).
Then again, what do I know? Undecided Need to see more ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
58vw

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2009, 04:20:12 am »

So whatīs the scoop on these heads from DRD?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=828811

I think they are a pretty new porduct arenīt they?

dont know....someone needs to buy a set and try em out  Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
GeirH

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2009, 20:53:21 pm »

I have ordered a 4" set.
58vw

« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2009, 00:31:49 am »

I have ordered a 4" set

good luck with that.....dont forget to report back with any updates...like video of the beast u put them on Grin

www.4inbore.com
ugly duckling

« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2009, 00:51:13 am »

yea let see some more pictures of darrens new heads. come on darren dont be shy let see whats ya got. just currios about those hp figgers is that somthing thats already been fully tested and on a running engine? just asking. TALK TO US. are your guide centers relocated for the 4in version? a little show and tell is always nice Grin. UD .
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 00:54:16 am by ugly duckling » Logged

Marty

« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2009, 15:54:23 pm »

Fiatdude- I never thought about altering the pin height to compensate for a different length rod. Very interesting. What do you think about stock GM rods for a street motor? My thinking is that if they will handle the power and torque of a v8 say 400 or so they should be goodfor the beetle. Does this make sense? Am I crazy? Sorry for all of the questions about this, I work at an autoparts store an was staring at engine parts catalogs all night thinking of a way to make this more affordable. 

Thanks,
Mike.

A friend of mine just showed me a set of pistons where the wrist pin is set inside the oil ring -- talking about going to great lengths to get a long rod in the motor

Its done all of the time (and not just so a long rod can be fit). I think the piston skirts take less beating also due to the lower compression height. The piston is also smaller and lighter with no sacrifice of strength.
Here is a picture of one of the set I just had made for a 78 x 96.7 turbo motor.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 15:59:12 pm by Marty » Logged

« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2009, 14:24:21 pm »

so what would be the "starter class" for the 4inch bore? Iīm tempted to buld something BIG in case my newly built 2276 will run without problems.

My first thoughts are:

2789cc
Autolinea Alu case, modified for 4 inch spacing
AA cylinders
86 DPR crank, 411 all mains, chevy rod journal
5.6 H-beam rods
Web 86C cam, CB lifters, Pauter rockers
DRD heads bored for 4 inch bore, 44X38mm valves

51 IDAs

piston ideas?
cooling ideas?

58vw

« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2009, 22:26:04 pm »

so what would be the "starter class" for the 4inch bore? Iīm tempted to buld something BIG in case my newly built 2276 will run without problems.

My first thoughts are:

2789cc
Autolinea Alu case, modified for 4 inch spacing
AA cylinders
86 DPR crank, 411 all mains, chevy rod journal
5.6 H-beam rods
Web 86C cam, CB lifters, Pauter rockers
DRD heads bored for 4 inch bore, 44X38mm valves

51 IDAs

piston ideas?
cooling ideas?

venolia or j&e pistons, cooling 36hp fan shroud, i have one 48 pass and one 72 pass cooler (on my car) the 72 has thermostat fan,... and the valves to small, at least 48mm intake and a pair of angleflow heads designed for a 4inbore...... Grin

www.4inbore.com
Big Power

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2009, 16:52:57 pm »

Since other companies heads are being posted on this thread, I thought it would be O.K to share our new head, also available in a 4" bore. 308cfm out of the box in a 94mm bore, 330cfm in a 96mm bore. Valve size is 50 x 38, CNC ported. I haven't flowed one yet in a 4" bore yet but plan to in a few weeks.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2009, 17:19:19 pm »

Shocked

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2009, 18:04:39 pm »

Since other companies heads are being posted on this thread, I thought it would be O.K to share our new head, also available in a 4" bore. 308cfm out of the box in a 94mm bore, 330cfm in a 96mm bore. Valve size is 50 x 38, CNC ported. I haven't flowed one yet in a 4" bore yet but plan to in a few weeks.

Pat,
so you are going to offer them in 4inch bore version? with a decent ex valve size Wink

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Big Power

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2009, 18:13:59 pm »

Pat,
so you are going to offer them in 4inch bore version? with a decent ex valve size Wink

cheers richie,uk
I could do a 50x40 in the 4" casting. On the next run of heads I am going to add more material around the outside of the intake ports for larger intake valves. Reason being is because I want the correct size port to go with the bigger throat. 
drgouk

« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2009, 18:18:24 pm »

Pat,

cheers richie,uk
I could do a 50x40 in the 4" casting. On the next run of heads I am going to add more material around the outside of the intake ports for larger intake valves. Reason being is because I want the correct size port to go with the bigger throat. 

Do you think this head could be made streetable?
Big Power

« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2009, 18:31:16 pm »

Pat,

cheers richie,uk

Do you think this head could be made streetable?
If you were to install squirters on the valves to help cool the head, yes. Using the head as it is I would have to say no.
Fiatdude

« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:53 am »

Heart is getting pieced together 

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
ugly duckling

« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2009, 05:37:49 am »

right on harold looking good. go show us what 27yr old thecnoligy can do today (KICK ASS) it was way ahead of its time and in some ways still is.why is because its still has the main oem lines of the original littel brother. Wink keep up the good work . UD .   

max2919

« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2009, 21:23:27 pm »

Grin

VW 57 Ghia RLR 2919cc TURBO!
Porsche 356A Coupe replika.
ugly duckling

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2009, 22:50:53 pm »

i wonder an im sure many others around this globe would like to know if there is TRUE DOCUMANTION on the( NEW HEADS) that susposodedly flow these susposide ##s. when i was flowing the STREET/DRAG angel flows i made it realy clear and went out of my way to show the ACTUAL FLOW SHEET AND THE FLOW BENCH WITH ##s.  to show people what they are capebel of with no welding on the HEAD  it self. maybe i should do a VIDIO on the flow bench then there will be no doupting and the world can see also that we have nothing to (HIDE).maybe OTHERS would do the same if they have nothing to (HIDE) .because when it all comes down to it the truth is always best when it comes to selling a product. Smiley UD .   

Big Power

« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2009, 23:47:17 pm »

i wonder an im sure many others around this globe would like to know if there is TRUE DOCUMANTION on the( NEW HEADS) that susposodedly flow these susposide ##s. when i was flowing the STREET/DRAG angel flows i made it realy clear and went out of my way to show the ACTUAL FLOW SHEET AND THE FLOW BENCH WITH ##s.  to show people what they are capebel of with no welding on the HEAD  it self. maybe i should do a VIDIO on the flow bench then there will be no doupting and the world can see also that we have nothing to (HIDE).maybe OTHERS would do the same if they have nothing to (HIDE) .because when it all comes down to it the truth is always best when it comes to selling a product. Smiley UD .   
Are you calling me a liar? Within the next week, I will do a video of the head being flowed. You see Jeff, I have this nifty little computer made by Superflow called a FlowCom. I'm sure you have seen them. FlowComs don't lie. In fact, I will do 2 videos, one showing me doing a leakage check and the 2nd doing the flowing of the head. Maybe I should put in a giant intake valve and bore the head to 103mm. Isn't that what you had to do to get your heads to flow? For me, I wouldn't want any documentation on it, more like all I would want to do is forget about it Grin
ugly duckling

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2009, 00:15:15 am »

was there any where in my sentence the word liar. you did tell the truth that the head without oil sqirters would not be streetible there you did right . but you know that any individual can put ##s up on the internet and magizen and say they are the best thing since slice bread. but when the customer gets the product and decides he,s going to flow test the heads and they arent what they supposedly says WELL. buy the way when you build a BIG BORE ENGINE this is the reason for doing it to put BIG VALVES in to take atvantage of this. why would i put a dinkey littel 50mm valve in head that has so much more in it. you dont see big block mopars runnig 50 mm you dont see big block chev running 50mm. i look forward in watching your vidios that will be a good thing make it real now.nice talkn with ya pat  KissWink. UD .   

Big Power

« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2009, 00:35:45 am »

was there any where in my sentence the word liar. you did tell the truth that the head without oil sqirters would not be streetible there you did right . but you know that any individual can put ##s up on the internet and magizen and say they are the best thing since slice bread. but when the customer gets the product and decides he,s going to flow test the heads and they arent what they supposedly says WELL. buy the way when you build a BIG BORE ENGINE this is the reason for doing it to put BIG VALVES in to take atvantage of this. why would i put a dinkey littel 50mm valve in head that has so much more in it. you dont see big block mopars runnig 50 mm you dont see big block chev running 50mm. i look forward in watching your vidios that will be a good thing make it real now.nice talkn with ya pat  KissWink. UD .   
Some people put huge valves in heads when they can't get them to flow like other people can?  I'm sure you are aware that a port with a 50mm valve that flows what a 52 or 53mm valve flows is a more efficient port. What YOU should be scared of is when I do install larger valves in the head with a 4" bore. While I am doing the video's, would you like me to do a video on the air speed of this head? I would be interesting to see what kind of air speed those giant fifty something mm valves of yours have.
Big Power

« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2009, 00:48:13 am »

Hey Jeff, I am working on a set of 94mm bore heads for a customer. I plan on using this head for the video you want. Heads are off the shelf with 40cc combustion chambers. I will make a point of letting you see the CNC lines in the port. I will flow the head with one of Rocky Jennings manifolds modified to work with our ports, our's are still a few weeks out.  Would you like the video in stereo Grin Plan on seeing it later tomorrow evening. BTW, sometimes what you ask for can come back and bite you in the a$$.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: