The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:40:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  The weight saving thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: The weight saving thread  (Read 524202 times)
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #540 on: December 04, 2011, 22:45:23 pm »

Ha ha! Yes, my website is fubar! I no longer have access to it to maintain its upkeep. My web designer has moved to South Africa and is supposed to be sorting it sometime soon...
I have moved workshop to Wadebridge. Pop in sometime for a cuppa and pasty Smiley

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #541 on: December 05, 2011, 19:09:24 pm »

Ha ha! Yes, my website is fubar! I no longer have access to it to maintain its upkeep. My web designer has moved to South Africa and is supposed to be sorting it sometime soon...
I have moved workshop to Wadebridge. Pop in sometime for a cuppa and pasty Smiley

Thats the arse end of Cornwall!  why didn't you move further south on the Lizard, then i could bring my mums pasties round Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fasterbrit

« Reply #542 on: December 05, 2011, 19:21:36 pm »

The Lizzard eh? Do you have webbed feet by any chance?  Grin

www.air-kraft.com
dannyboy

« Reply #543 on: December 05, 2011, 20:01:07 pm »

matt needs to be close to rick stiens place for his lunch  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #544 on: December 05, 2011, 20:56:00 pm »

The Lizzard eh? Do you have webbed feet by any chance?  Grin

Nah, but we do have the best beach in Cornwall (church cove as seen on Dr Martin)!!!! and i can walk there  Tongue

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Frallan

« Reply #545 on: December 15, 2011, 13:03:39 pm »

I guess this is the place to find more information or maybe the topic has been covered, in that case I have to drop it and search better.

Drum brakes being lighter up front than a disc setup?

Friend of mine is rebuilding a very nice car and he is weight conscious.
Now the car has regular disc brakes.
He will change for drums as he will save sevaral kilos on doing this.
In my opinion, if you are rebuilding why not get a drag-racing lightweight setup and save many kilos versus drums and stock discs.

Anyone have real comparison facts on this topic?
Suppliers? Jaycee, S&W or Lummus or other suggestions?

andy M.

« Reply #546 on: December 16, 2011, 08:49:01 am »

Does any one out there have good data on the weights of the various wide five disc brake set ups out there (csp, jamar etc) for link pin front end and there weight saving over stock front drums,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Neal wide 5 front ally hub/disc, including bearings and washer 5.58kg.  Wilwood caliper 850gm including pads.  No data for caliper bracket although that's ally.

Cheers
Phil

Caliper mounting brackets 311gm.  So the total weight of the entire Neal kit including bearings is 6.7kg per side.  13.2kg for front brakes sounds like a lot!

Ok, I just went to my garage and did a bit of weighing and measuring,

stock 58-64 front drum complete with 12mm screw in studs, bearings and hub seal came in at a healthy 6.1kg

front shoes (drilled, about 35g lighter each than stock) springs, adjusters, bearing washer and end cap and retainers springs and cups were 1.2kg

front backing plate with wheel cylinder 1.5kg

making a grand total of 8.80 kg per side.

Bear in mind that I didn't use my Nasa calibrated scales to weigh these with, just a good quality pair of kitchen scales instead but there appears to be at least 4kg saving available doing the Neal disc swap plus you would gain the reduced rotational mass advantage of disc brakes too,

Unfortunately it would appear that they would also add about 20mm to the track each side if Mr West is right with the 80mm reading thus requiring a beam narrowing, and I'm not sure if they will clear zero off set centerlines, I'm waiting on an email from a contact in the states on this

Andy

L.B.C.R.
Frallan

« Reply #547 on: December 16, 2011, 13:46:26 pm »

Thanks Andy!
...and thanks you other guys for this input. In general very good input on this thread.

Bruce

« Reply #548 on: January 04, 2012, 07:27:19 am »

I have always remembered a story about how Mark Herbert once went into the auto parts store to look at headlights.  He opened up all the brands, trying to find ones made from plastic instead of glass.  Since hearing that, I too have been searching.

I found a single one in Mexico City about 6-7 years ago, but it had the illegal French yellow lens.

Last week while in Mexico escaping winter, I stopped in at an independent VW parts store.  On the shelf were headlights.  When I picked one up, I knew the holy grail was in hand!

With the H4 bulb in place they weigh in at a flyweight 192g.  This compares to 529g for the common Bosch glass H4.  
Total savings: 674g for a pair.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #549 on: January 04, 2012, 14:29:41 pm »

Smart! Reminds me, the aftermarket, chincy, late model headlight rings are also much lighter than a factory ring. I sift through them in swap meets in search of SB12's Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #550 on: January 04, 2012, 15:52:32 pm »

Cool story's !

Done ? Not Yet.
Pas

« Reply #551 on: January 05, 2012, 19:30:46 pm »

I have always remembered a story about how Mark Herbert once went into the auto parts store to look at headlights.  He opened up all the brands, trying to find ones made from plastic instead of glass.  Since hearing that, I too have been searching.

I found a single one in Mexico City about 6-7 years ago, but it had the illegal French yellow lens.

Last week while in Mexico escaping winter, I stopped in at an independent VW parts store.  On the shelf were headlights.  When I picked one up, I knew the holy grail was in hand!

With the H4 bulb in place they weigh in at a flyweight 192g.  This compares to 529g for the common Bosch glass H4.  
Total savings: 674g for a pair.

Nice score Bruce, I would love to get my hands on a pair of those. Don't suppose you picked up more than one set when you were down there did you?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 19:35:30 pm by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #552 on: January 05, 2012, 23:17:20 pm »

This thread REALLY make me wonder just how light weight you could make a "stock vw"  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Bruce

« Reply #553 on: January 06, 2012, 10:16:53 am »

I would love to get my hands on a pair of those.
But what would you do with them? Wink  Hint: Napoleon really HATED the British.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:22:19 am by Bruce » Logged
Bruce

« Reply #554 on: January 06, 2012, 10:38:57 am »

This thread REALLY make me wonder just how light weight you could make a "stock vw"  Smiley
I've thought of that too.
There are some parts you can't lighten significantly.  The engine and trans cases.  You're not going to reduce the weight of the floor pan by much.  Or the bare body shell and doors/lids/wings.  Same goes for some suspension/steering parts.
However, many of the bolt-on bits can be lightened quite a bit.  If you went back to the parts I've been hacking up, I post the original weight and the reduced weight, then the % reduction.  I have found that 25-30% isn't too hard to cut out.  I'm guessing you might be able to apply these techniques to 40-50% of the car.  This gives a range of 80 - 125kg.  Then you'd still have a car that looked complete with all it's necessary parts.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #555 on: January 06, 2012, 17:20:36 pm »

I've thought of that too.
There are some parts you can't lighten significantly.  The engine and trans cases.  You're not going to reduce the weight of the floor pan by much.  Or the bare body shell and doors/lids/wings.  Same goes for some suspension/steering parts.
However, many of the bolt-on bits can be lightened quite a bit.  If you went back to the parts I've been hacking up, I post the original weight and the reduced weight, then the % reduction.  I have found that 25-30% isn't too hard to cut out.  I'm guessing you might be able to apply these techniques to 40-50% of the car.  This gives a range of 80 - 125kg.  Then you'd still have a car that looked complete with all it's necessary parts.

Yeah I noticed your %'s - The IRS arm bolts where amazing!!!!! Soooooo much weight in just 2 bolts  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pas

« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2012, 16:06:54 pm »

I would love to get my hands on a pair of those.
But what would you do with them? Wink  Hint: Napoleon really HATED the British.

Bruce, that hint is a little too cryptic for me! apologies for wearing my stupid head. I will give it a  Grin anyway.

But seriously, if you know how/where I can get these give me a shout Wink
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 16:08:38 pm by Pas » Logged

Bruce

« Reply #557 on: January 07, 2012, 18:51:08 pm »

After conquering Europe, Napoleon decreed that everyone on the continent must switch sides of the roads.

These LHD headlights I have are "Autolux" brand, made in India.

I know this is one of their products:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7580
There are many details on this one that are exactly the same as the plain H4s I just got.  I don't know if this one is plastic.  This seller hasn't returned my inquiry.
Pas

« Reply #558 on: January 07, 2012, 20:39:01 pm »

After conquering Europe, Napoleon decreed that everyone on the continent must switch sides of the roads.

These LHD headlights I have are "Autolux" brand, made in India.

I know this is one of their products:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7580
There are many details on this one that are exactly the same as the plain H4s I just got.  I don't know if this one is plastic.  This seller hasn't returned my inquiry.

Ahhh I got ya  Grin, and here am I thinking you guys drive on the wrong side of the road   Wink

The LHD need not be a problem you can buy stick on film lens divertors in Europe to correct that.

Thanks for the lead on the headlights, I suspect the backs at least are plastic, the back of the bowls look very similar to the back of the plastic (also Autolux, made in India) Rossi style headlight rings I have. Not sure about the lens though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 20:45:36 pm by Pas » Logged

Bruce

« Reply #559 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:34 am »

This might be the same manufacturer:

http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/h4-headlight-european-style-each_361051/

The black mounting ring is similar.  The 3 tabs for adjusting are exactly the same.  It's missing the H4 in the center of the lens.  And this one has an extra bulb below the main one.  Too bad they're out of stock.
Fasterbrit

« Reply #560 on: January 10, 2012, 22:24:52 pm »

Designed and made some new caliper brackets today out of T6 aluminium for All Torque. Steel 312 grams, Ali 88 grams. A total of 448 g saved!! A fraction under a lb  Cool

www.air-kraft.com
Mirco Jufer

« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2012, 22:58:42 pm »

Team Royalflush with the new Wheels for 2012... Grin Grin Grin [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
henk

« Reply #562 on: January 14, 2012, 19:03:11 pm »

that looks REALLY light,those skinny wheels.

henk!!!
Mirco Jufer

« Reply #563 on: January 14, 2012, 23:23:10 pm »

Yes they are...and very Nice too Wink
Fasteddie63

« Reply #564 on: January 15, 2012, 07:03:01 am »

Schley's Lightning Bug Backing Plates
Bruce

« Reply #565 on: January 17, 2012, 07:15:40 am »

There's got to be more of that on the car???
Bruce

« Reply #566 on: January 17, 2012, 07:20:21 am »

M-B, here's another part with 35% reduction:
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #567 on: January 17, 2012, 14:25:03 pm »

Looks like there's room for another pair of holes inboard of the ones already there?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bruce

« Reply #568 on: January 25, 2012, 08:09:02 am »

You're right, Zach.  The reason I didn't drill any there is because the bending moment is maximum at the point where the wing meets the body, and since I've seen the odd stock one bent, I thought I would suffer the penalty of carrying around the extra 1-2 grams.

Found this pic on another forum.  This guy is attempting to recreate Muffler Mike's experiment of watching how much oil stays in the left head at rpms.  I noticed the valve cover he sacrificed is stamped from sheet Al.  Can you imagine what that weighs?
I sent the guy a message and he only had the one, and can't remember where he got it from.  A couple of days later, he suggested maybe JC Whitney.  A search of their site yielded nothing.

Anyone know who makes this?
Fasterbrit

« Reply #569 on: January 25, 2012, 08:19:49 am »

Hi Bruce. Has your Ti turned up yet? Regards, Matt

www.air-kraft.com
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: