The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 04:12:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351104 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Ladder bars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ladder bars  (Read 2447 times)
Jyrki

8.88 & 251

« on: September 02, 2009, 09:47:25 am »

I am in the process of getting my '65 street beetle back together after a break. During the break the car was converted to 32" Ladder bars + Strange coil-overs. To get the car rolling I put the ladder bars in the middle position (out of the 7 possible link holes) =>
- Instant Center (IC) is now 10.5" from ground.
- With a 26" tire the axles are 13" from ground.
- I have not measured the Center of Gravity (CG) of my car, so I cannot tell what the Percentage of Rise (PR) is. CG should be close to any lowered street beetle (transmission is raised 2½", front is lowered 4", weight distribution front vs. rear is close to any standard beetle).
- Springs are 800lbs - please note that the rear is narrowed pretty much and therefore the coil-overs are leveraged. I also have an option to replace the springs with 750 or 850lbs if needed.
- Anything else I should mention? Car weights a bit over 2000lbs, ran 9.80/140mph with torsion bars (poor 1.5sec 60 ft)...

What I am looking for is baseline for IC to get started.

THANKS,
Jyrki
PPRMicke

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 14:00:51 pm »

I am in the process of getting my '65 street beetle back together after a break. During the break the car was converted to 32" Ladder bars + Strange coil-overs. To get the car rolling I put the ladder bars in the middle position (out of the 7 possible link holes) =>
- Instant Center (IC) is now 10.5" from ground.
- With a 26" tire the axles are 13" from ground.
- I have not measured the Center of Gravity (CG) of my car, so I cannot tell what the Percentage of Rise (PR) is. CG should be close to any lowered street beetle (transmission is raised 2½", front is lowered 4", weight distribution front vs. rear is close to any standard beetle).
- Springs are 800lbs - please note that the rear is narrowed pretty much and therefore the coil-overs are leveraged. I also have an option to replace the springs with 750 or 850lbs if needed.
- Anything else I should mention? Car weights a bit over 2000lbs, ran 9.80/140mph with torsion bars (poor 1.5sec 60 ft)...

What I am looking for is baseline for IC to get started.

THANKS,
Jyrki
Hi Jyrki
I think 800lbs (362.8kg) is too hard on the car weighs 2000lbs (907kg) I am living in prostock / promod racing think you can use much softer rear springs
(a prostock  us about 150kg springs back as the starting setupp car's weight is 1066kg weight distribution is 50/50)

How much considering the car's rear wheels pc

//// PPR Micke
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 14:05:12 pm by PPRMicke » Logged
Josef

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 20:12:50 pm »

Hi Jyrki
Do you have any pics of the ladder bar/coil over mounting?

/Josef
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: