The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:37:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  has any car in reality exceeded your dreams of the "perfect Cal Look Car"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: has any car in reality exceeded your dreams of the "perfect Cal Look Car"?  (Read 14040 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: September 03, 2009, 20:38:38 pm »

For me , no, not yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 20:53:26 pm »

No, me either. Probably never will either.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 20:55:15 pm »

I can see my "dream Bug" coming to fruition, with enough time, it could be done, fairly easily. Nothing fancy.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 20:57:29 pm »

Yeah, but the thing is, your dream bug and mine are probably different.

--louis

Louis Brooks

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 20:59:13 pm »

I could not do it with just one car. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
stealth67vw

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 00:52:22 am »

No. Every car I have ever seen, I would change at least one thing. Wade Nishimota's 67 is the closest for me but I would change a few things like the wheel finish and seat covers.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Chris W

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 02:59:41 am »

For me..Almost. My current car is what I have wanted to do for years, I am worried what I will do when it's "done".  Huh
kingsburgphil

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:06:24 am »

Hands down Greg Aronson's bug and his 356! sweet. Runner up Craig Fosters "Vega"
( I can hear the keys clicking from here)
Speed-Randy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:58:02 am »

anything built by danny gabbard or bill schwimmer

flatfire

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 08:05:34 am »

Jim Kaforski bug.  It not complicated it doesn't even look like its trying, its just right. Smiley
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:48:03 am »

once PROJECT 66 is finished I am pretty sure I will have built MY perfect cal looker  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 15:42:48 pm »

Billings red '67 comes pretty close for me. Wade's car almost as close. Yes, if Wade's car had satin & black alloys.... royal flush
Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 15:45:46 pm »

And of course Mike's 67 - I would give ANYTHING for that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink Smiley

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 15:57:36 pm »

I think there is a tremendous difference between a car and your own car, seeing to the fact that some apply the question to their own cars  Wink
At least if I may speak for myself, taste evolves (god, I wish I had dechromed my car) and you tend to be extra critical about your car moreover at some point you’ve probably seen every part of the car which you can judge other cars by from a magazine feature.

And it’s personal as well. Small dislikeable things are always to be found. Don’t get me wrong I love Mike’s ’67 but I’d like to see the front come down just 1 centimetre no more and the exhaust sticks out way too far in my opinion.

But hey, when looking at it this way, you’re question isn’t being answered. This is more like answering to ‘has there been any astonishing cal-look car that’s just perfectly flawless?’. You’re asking for cars that exceed our dreams, so let’s hear it  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 16:01:28 pm »

And of course Mike's 67 - I would give ANYTHING for that car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink Smiley

my "perfect" VW Bug would be very close to that car. Different color (think color of my '67, but no moldings, no T bars, no bumpers, no horn grilles, no lucas lights, no VW emblem on hood). Same wheels (satin finish alloys), CN36's out back, 155's in front, Racemark steering wheel or Momo Prototipo, 356 Carrera GT buckets in royal blue cordurouy, rubber mats, Perlon carpet, VDO's, Berg5, tinited glass, 260hp 8500 redline, VW early 40hp shroud adapted to late cooler, 52mm IDAs, alodine-gold coated tall manifolds, gabfab cylinder covers, all engine sheet metal match painted to car, 911 carb linkage adapted to VW with IDAs. Big muffler tucked under RH valve cover with pipe ending under RH running board, like Mason's car used to run.
Lee.C

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 16:16:53 pm »

My "Perfect" looker ie PROJECT 66 will also have a very similar look to the billing car but with NO T bars, Porsche Scheel seats, steering wheel similar doug mische ghia, colour coded headlamp rings, satin fuchs 6" & 7"s  etc etc etc you'll all have to wait and see Wink

Here's mikes for now  Grin

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 16:59:54 pm »

My "Perfect" looker ie PROJECT 66 will also have a very similar look to the billing car but with black T bars, Porsche Scheel seats, steering wheel similar doug mische ghia, colour coded headlamp rings, satin fuchs 6" & 7"s  and Porsche Guards Red paint...
There you go Lee – I've corrected your mistakes. Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
LuftsickTero

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 19:11:51 pm »

Yeah, Mike's car and DKK Lemonade's '67, and also one pale blue '67 with polished Fuchs (DKK car? it was in Jim's aqua cars thread) gave some good vibes to me, hopefully the vibes materialize to something once the current non-Cal Look project is finished and sold  Cheesy

The early & late Fuchs combination in Mike's car looks really good like in Keith Goss chop-top and I used to hate that kind of a mismatch combination before.

What I would like (besides having the skills and budget too) would be exterior like the cars mentioned above with different interior and the level of detailing current cars have. This link is not to Cal Look car but the build quality is unbelievable; (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Those smoothed chassis parts would work also in Cal Looker as they look simplier and so much smoother than stock.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 19:19:36 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 19:15:04 pm »

That is the quality I am shooting for with my car. Now the question is will I reach it.

Actually, scratch that. He went a little too far even for me. But I would like to have the same quality as modern hot rods have.

And why did he go to all that trouble to detail every last nut and bolt, then put split boots on the SA tranny?  Roll Eyes

--louis
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 19:31:55 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 23:19:51 pm »

That's the most retarded thing I've seen today!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 23:41:53 pm »

Yeah, Mike's car and DKK Lemonade's '67, and also one pale blue '67 with polished Fuchs (DKK car? it was in Jim's aqua cars thread) gave some good vibes to me, hopefully the vibes materialize to something once the current non-Cal Look project is finished and sold  Cheesy

The early & late Fuchs combination in Mike's car looks really good like in Keith Goss chop-top and I used to hate that kind of a mismatch combination before.

What I would like (besides having the skills and budget too) would be exterior like the cars mentioned above with different interior and the level of detailing current cars have. This link is not to Cal Look car but the build quality is unbelievable; (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Those smoothed chassis parts would work also in Cal Looker as they look simplier and so much smoother than stock.

The pale blue '67 with full polished alloys is probably the one built by DKKs Mark Dean. That personally would come closest to my fulfillment of this thread... not too wild about the color but everything else was spot on. It's  too bad we don't have more pictures of it.

Here's some pics..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 23:45:42 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 23:55:07 pm »

My "Perfect" looker ie PROJECT 66 will also have a very similar look to the billing car but with black T bars, Porsche Scheel seats, steering wheel similar doug mische ghia, colour coded headlamp rings, satin fuchs 6" & 7"s  and Porsche willow green paint...
There you go Lee – I've corrected your mistakes. Cheesy

Sorry dude I've corrected YOUR mistake  Wink

And that GermanFolk car is just SILLY I would like to see it in a couple of years when all that filler has sunk and cracked especially on the Chassis  Roll Eyes Smiley

pancho villa

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 01:29:49 am »

just added a roll cage to 56 oval rag, to daniel brown over the top ultimate pan, and mr brown will take over build.
retained Pat Downs for a 11sec engine. Look out for this one next season.
jick

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 10:34:08 am »

Geoff Harts beryl green car is the only one i can think of right now that i wouldn't change a thing on....whether its a perfect cal-look car is another matter.......

Russell

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 17:06:47 pm »

this is kinda hard for me to answer this with one car, so ive picked 3 !

without doubt the car that has exceeded my dreams is Arnie Molhmans car, its plain simple, old, fast and very very cool for me a proper cal looker not a show car......

And if it was to be a more modern european car it would be Dirks Sunroof bug what a cool car that is.

And as for a modern amercan cal looker............... i think its under construction !

Best Regards

Russell
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 19:12:53 pm »

Jim Logudice's 67 - THIS is the one that did/does it for me.....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 19:18:03 pm by OgCalLook » Logged

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Lee.C

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 19:30:05 pm »

Jim Logudice's 67 - THIS is the one that did/does it for me.....

Now how could I forget Jim's car  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

vwhelmot

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 20:06:42 pm »

Bernard Newbury`s oval as The Dark Lord. It simply was perfect and nothing has come close since for me! Colour, interior ,ffffat engine ,wheels, i could go on forever!!  Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 20:09:50 pm »

If I were to be pinned to it I would have to say the Wocket.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 20:11:34 pm »

I should also mention Dave Rhoads Green 64 - I can't believe i forgot about it Roll Eyes Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: