The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:25:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Building a Cal Look Bay Window
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Building a Cal Look Bay Window  (Read 29826 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: September 15, 2009, 02:26:18 am »

I've noticed the bay windows are really popular in Europe.  For those of you that own one and have lowered it, what did you do to achieve it?  I need info on the front and rear suggestions.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:35:20 am »

Bays can look really cool when done right. There is a '69 Bay double cab roaming around here I have wanted for the longest time. Put it on a set of gas burners or five spoke empis. Lower it, hop up the engine and you have the perfect "shop truck". I seem to remember Sarge posting some pics of a nice bay from one of the dealerships he worked for with Porsche rims, etc.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
rick m

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:40:37 am »

yeah...already rounding up parts. I wanted a 68-71 so I can use my inventory of type one motor parts.  Not a type 4 fan.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:28 am »

Great mind think alike dude - you not seen my thread  Huh http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9971.0.html

I'm thinkin lowered, rollin on fuchs, with a HOT 1915 in the back  Wink

I'm not really going for cal look as I want a Deluxe with all the trimmings  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:14:00 am »

You can get drop spindles on an exchange basis from a few guys on thesamba, that will get you down 2 1/2", adjust the rear down equally and I think that would make for a good looking bay. The spindles are welded though, so wheel choice is important if you plan on using a stock width beam.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:08:18 am »

You can get drop spindles on an exchange basis from a few guys on thesamba, that will get you down 2 1/2", adjust the rear down equally and I think that would make for a good looking bay. The spindles are welded though, so wheel choice is important if you plan on using a stock width beam.

You can also use a split bus beam, making dropped spindles easier and safer.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
viNce

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 15:35:29 pm »

Mine is lowered with a 4.3" adjustable narrowed beam, dropped spindles on the front, and adjustables spring plates and one spline, nearly OEM confort and low  Cool

All work done @ Vintage Autohaus, france. -> http://www.vintage-autohaus.com/Accueil.htm

All pics on my blog  Wink
rick m

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 16:25:53 pm »

I love the stance of your Bay Window from the work done by Vintage Autohaus. That is the look that I am going for. Great input.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 16:48:10 pm »

Yeah thats about the stance I am thinkin of - Maybe a tiny bit hight at the front or maybe just some taller tires, Very similars to Alex/Jesus  Wink Smiley

I contacted those guys about a couple of their buses but unfortuntely they were both sold  Sad
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 17:44:12 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Jesus

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 19:01:03 pm »

Mine is a Cal Look Bay as much as Loads of Bugs Claim to be Cal Look Shocked Tongue

Its a 69 Deluxe Microbus from California, Hence the LHD,

Up Front:

Running a Creative engineering Ball Joint Narrowed weedeater 2 beam,

Welded Drop Spindles

BIG 4 Pot Willwood Calipers on BIG vented Disc's

Crap BRM's running 175/55/15's

At Rear:

2 Outer and 1 Inner?Huh (was a long time ago) Drop

was running 6" RACE weight erco's with 205/70/15's till i managed to create a hair line crack going sideways round roundabouts in Oslo.

Now running the OLD trusty BRM's can only get 195/65/15's on them due to the crappy offset, Seriously considering milling the back of the wheel down a bit!

Creative: http://www.creative-engineering.com/

Wagenwest are good in the states!

Once you get Proper LOW the only way to go is Link Pin Split beam, with drop spindles, disc brake conversion and some subtle chassis notching! And adjustable rear Spring Plates at the rear with again SUBTLE chassis notching for both Drive shafts and arms!

Mark Prosser from Autotechniks is truly the only person in the world that KNOWS his shit and abuses his own busses hard! I trust him with my life!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Autotechniks-Type-2-Performance/110083145937?ref=ts

Ok now i'll bore you with some pictures, The beige 68 belongs to Mark and I own the Blue 69 Cheesy

Street Guise:

Race Guise:

and Mine:

I can't find a decent cab pic,

But Essentials are, Half leather recaro's Autometer Monster Tach with Shift Light, Oil Temp Gauge, Gene Berg shifter with my Line Loc Button Wink Cheesy

Don't forget to check out

www.ultimatestreetbays.co.uk

it's a international club for anyone with a bay window that gets a 1/4 mile ticket of less than 18 seconds!

Maddog and I (the founders) increased international relations with a trip to our only non UK member this summer.

Drove my 69, 2500 miles from the UK to Norway for SCC this year, it was the best adventure of my life, and i couldn't have done it with out my trusty Bed on Wheels!

My 6 yr old (still on the same pushrod tubes) lil 1776cc engine managed to get me there and back and also hit a new PB on the track of a backed up 16.7 Grin

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9968.0.html

above is the thread about our trip!

Hope my random post has helped in some way!  Grin

Vince Looking good Buddy, Those Gas Burners have really grown on me Smiley
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 19:06:36 pm by Jesus » Logged

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 19:22:27 pm »

perfect just perfect (apart from the round side refector - I prefer the rectangle ones Wink)

Grin

Jesus

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 19:35:05 pm »

Round is 68 Only dude Wink Grin

I prefer them roundies!

Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 20:10:20 pm »

Looks like I need a "69" the dude  Wink Cheesy Smiley

rick m

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 02:06:35 am »

What size engine is in the AUTO TECHNICS bus?  I like the stance on both of these bay windows.  This is the next project for me.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
holmsen

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:23:02 am »

I think Mark is running a 2332ccm.
This is my daily driver, adjustable front beam, one outer drop at the back
Engine is a T4 2056ccm. just capable of running under 18, 17,62 Smiley
Jesus

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 09:12:27 am »

What size engine is in the AUTO TECHNICS bus?  I like the stance on both of these bay windows.  This is the next project for me.

Rick M

He is running the OLD 2276cc motor that has now done 4 years HARD service, he takes his summer holidays in his van and generally drives down to the south coast of Spain,

It was the same engine he run in his black front paneled camper that performed those monster burnouts @ EBI2,

Jan is correct @ Volksworld he did have the 2332cc out of the green panel van in the beige 68, but the valve guides needed attention so with a swap about of ancilaries the 2276cc went in instead.

rick m

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 01:33:26 am »

Holmsen,

A very nice looking Bay Window.  Who did you get your dropped spindles from? Also, if they are welded/dropped spindles, how much do they push the rotor or drum out past stock width?

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 02:41:10 am »

I do not like the look of rubber band tires on the front of some of those buses!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
rick m

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 17:30:12 pm »

Yeah,  I won't be doing the tiny tires either. It is not safe for something of that weigth with a forward rake.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 17:34:06 pm »

Yeah,  I won't be doing the tiny tires either. It is not safe for something of that weigth with a forward rake.

Rick M

Agreed dude - I wan t mine to be "level" No rake  Smiley

Jesus

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 18:36:08 pm »

Rick M

How would you KNOW?

Have you run a bay with a rake?

Have you ever run 175/55/15 tyres?

Tyre technology these days means these things are possible if you do enough research  Wink Grin

Trust me after 65,000 miles and 100 passes at least down the track,(at which time i over inflate the fronts), they are perfectly safe! I wouldn't endanger myself or my passengers!

Not to your taste is one thing, and acceptable, NOT SAFE however.... Wink
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 18:53:09 pm by Jesus » Logged

holmsen

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 20:38:04 pm »

Trust me after 65,000 miles and 100 passes at least down the track,(at which time i over inflate the fronts), they are perfectly safe! I wouldn't endanger myself or my passengers!

Sorry Jesus,,,(for bad language ),,but that's one Hell of an achievement right there  Grin Guess that dude, Mark, is it? knows his way around those small T1's   Cheesy
And Rick, agree on the wheels, a more beefier 185/65 look better  Cool
Jesus

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 21:15:34 pm »

Cheers Jan Grin

and if I lived where you do in Oslo I'd run 185/65's too, those roads are HARSH! Wink  Grin

volksnut

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 21:20:28 pm »

Rick, on my old bay I ran a adjustable beam from Franklin's and 1 notch in rear, the wheels were 16x7 Audi A4's that fit on late bay disc's and drums, cheap and stopped/handled nice....
rick m

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 02:43:32 am »

The Audi wheels look kinda cool. I am going for more of a Cal Look with BRMS or Alloys.  Hey Jesus, what brand and tire are you running on the front. I am 100% on board with low profile tires. I thought they were referring to something like 145"s or 135's on the front.  I ran 40 series tires on my Porsche Carerra tht were 275's. I had them over 130mph and the ran fine.  I was just referring to the narrow style fronts that many US buses try to run.  I am game for the low profile series tires that have a nice footprint.

Keep the Bay Window shots coming. It is giving me a lot of ideas for my project when the Chop Top is done.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 08:07:16 am »

This is my 72`bay, running narrowed adjustable beam with drop spindles from Wagenwest. It`s going to get a new beam this winter as the adjusters are at top position and it`s a little bit to low. It`s currently got a 1950ccm t-1 engine with 108 hp. New 2110ccm engine in this winter Wink
I use 185/65-15 up front and 215/70-15 in the rear.

Berger
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 15:48:48 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
rick m

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 16:38:32 pm »

Berger,

Is the company you got your spindles from in the US or Europe?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Jesus

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 18:55:32 pm »

The Audi wheels look kinda cool. I am going for more of a Cal Look with BRMS or Alloys.  Hey Jesus, what brand and tire are you running on the front. I am 100% on board with low profile tires. I thought they were referring to something like 145"s or 135's on the front.  I ran 40 series tires on my Porsche Carerra tht were 275's. I had them over 130mph and the ran fine.  I was just referring to the narrow style fronts that many US buses try to run.  I am game for the low profile series tires that have a nice footprint.

Keep the Bay Window shots coming. It is giving me a lot of ideas for my project when the Chop Top is done.

Rick M

No Worries!

I just hate people inferring something is UNSAFE, I took it personally and for this i apolagise!

I've run all kind of makes, my favourite grip and look wise being the yokohama's i ran, but they wore out REAL fast, currently running Continental Contakt 3's 175/55/15, they are not as grippy as the yoko's but i also get at least a year if not 2 out of them, were as i was going through the yoko's every 8 months!

I know what you mean about the narrow aspect,

I TOO was very concerned about running a narrowed beam, and only chose to do so as by adding welded drop spindles and the disc brake kit i had, it had pushed the track out that little bit to far, the edge of the rim sat under the lip of the arch, preventing me from getting the front of the van down and the rake I was looking for. Running a narrowed beam has brought my track width back to inside the lip of the arch. To be honest the main difference i've noticed is due to the drop spindles giving me much comfier and longer suspension travel the front of my van is no longer MEGA stiff so i can't throw it in as hard as i used to round corners, but on the plus side i get places with my fillings and brain still in tact these days Cheesy

Try Wagenwest for spindles and beams in the states Rick Wink

Berger, I LOVE your van, Early sign written Panel Vans ROCK!!!!

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 19:12:30 pm »

Berger,

Is the company you got your spindles from in the US or Europe?

Rick M

As Jesus says, it`s in the US Smiley
http://www.wagenswest.com/parts.html

Berger

And thanks Jesus, I love yours too. Fantastic rake!  Kiss
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 19:15:49 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
fastfred

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 15:39:46 pm »

that's mine. lowering job by "Kieft en Klok" using T2D/KnK technology. www.kieftenklok.nl and www.typetwodetectives.com
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 15:42:38 pm by fastfred » Logged

FREDDYFILES 2012 on MARCH 11th !
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: