The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:33:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  the '67 hype - I don't get it...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: the '67 hype - I don't get it...  (Read 18242 times)
Jordy/DVK

« on: January 24, 2007, 19:47:09 pm »

Okay don't hate me for admitting it... I have to speak my heart... I just don't get it...
 It seems to me that everybody is sooooooooo excited about 1967 lookers...
 A '67 is IT...  THE year for a looker... why?Huh?

I mean everywhere I look, everyone is building a '67 looker, at a Drag-racing/Cal-Look event the year most represented in number is the year '67..
 Okay a '67 is a bit special due to the quasimodo rear-hatch and some other stuff, but still at an event half of the lookers are '67 lookers, shining in the sun, all being the unique '67 looker like the rest of the '67 lookers in the row...

Okay I'm exaggerating a bit, but I hope you get my point...

I don't mean to be "degrading"  and it's not that I don't like '67s, I mean the best looking looker of Holland is a blue '67, but still...

I don't quite get it...

I mean... Dare to be really different/unique and build something other than a '67 looker like every other person in Cal-Look-land...  Grin

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 19:49:10 pm by Jordy » Logged

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Dirk / DFL

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 19:59:03 pm »

Because 67`is an especialy year: only 1.5 million of the 1.2 millions VW build survived...... Grin

Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 20:19:06 pm »

Well, I would love to have a 67. Can't really put my finger on it, but a US 67 looker just looks so right.. Anyone have a good one for sale  Wink Or want to trade in a 54? Grin
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 20:22:44 pm »

I also think it's the US 67 thing, the combo off a long hood with straight standing headlights!
Just too sexy

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
maX cal-look

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 20:23:54 pm »

67's is like a woman, if you never try this, your not a man !!
 Cool
Without joke, I think Dirk / DFL your right ! Roll Eyes
There're most 67 now that 1967 ! Huh

ESH

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 20:30:35 pm »

...only 1.5 million of the 1.2 millions VW build survived...

They were probably all at Woodstock too.  Cheesy

jick

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 20:40:57 pm »

hey Jordy.....

you know what, i totally agree with you, a nice car is a nice car, i dont really see the big deal over a '67. Smiley

Sander/DVK

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 21:45:28 pm »

I dont see it like a hype.
The '67 model is special because the one year only parts, and as specialy the decklid.

My next car would be a oval window or a '67 model Smiley

Cheers

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 22:02:37 pm »

Way over 900.000 of those '67 beetles were built, that 3 times the total amount of splitwindow beetles produced in 15 years of numerous details and changes. So rare?

In my opinion '67 beetles are overrated...

( I'm not saying this because I own a split myself...
As a matter of fact I don't think splitwindow beetles make good lookers.
Unless you add some balloontyres and a 6v 1500cc engine with double
zenith/dellortos (whatever) and a California muffler... that'd be nice)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 22:05:03 pm by Jordy » Logged

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
SixTeeSeven

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 00:05:02 am »

There are numerous reasons why people like to use the 1967 a a base car for a project, most of which are very sensible. On a US '67 you've got 12 volts - and that saves having to change from 6 volts. They were the first Beetles to have upright headlights but also the last (outside of the USA) to have sloping headlights.
On all '67s you have the Z-bar set up from the factory. The engine bay is bigger and that's good new if you are fitting happy things like 48 IDAs. Also the '67 was - in Europe - the first Beetle to have disc brakes (on the 1500) and the last to have a ragtop sunroof (on the Standard 1200).   
They are the last of the pre-Euro bumper cars - which were seen as nowhere near as 'cool' in the looks department. It is nothing new to use a '67 as the base for a project - they have always been popular.
The thing is though - they have never been the only year - some of the most memorable cars in the history of the style we know and love as California Look are not '67s.

The main thing is to to the best job you can to build the best car you can from whatever year model you chose to base it on - the Split is a Beetle in its purist form and will always make a great Cal Look car.

Don't worry if you don't get the '67 thing - so long as you get the Cal Look thing - nothing else matters.

People are talking about '67s a lot as they are 40 this year.

The thing I really don't get is when people start telling you about all the one-year-only parts on '67s - it's not like every model year of the Beetle can boast to having one-year-only parts - or any other vw for that matter.

Oh, and if you guys look closely you'll see the blue Bug at Woodstock is a '68!

Anything else I can help you with?
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 00:33:00 am »

67s blow!!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
SixTeeSeven

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 00:46:51 am »

You didn't finish your post...

Didn't you mean to finsih it with 'the doors off Chevy Novas'?
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 01:27:47 am »

Finally somebody asked the question I have been thinking about for a while....I hear all of my friends drone on about their sb12 headlight rings & broken push button door handles...All kidding aside, some of my favorite cars happen to be 67's. Art G's car ,Greg B's,  Mike Billing's , Mark Dean's and a host of others..  I would put some of those smiley faces on here, but I am not bright enough to do so.
     Later  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
flatfire

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 01:29:29 am »

Jordy your right after reading this I have decided to abandon my 67 project Grin

I love your post. Remember all bugs are equal but some are more equal than others Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 01:30:13 am »

I would put some of those smiley faces on here, but I am not bright enough to do so.
     Later  Bill
Have these ones on me! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 01:40:03 am »

Hey Now Lets Watch The Cracks On 67 Novas I also own One 327/350H.P. 4 Speed take a look its been a long time Project http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/forest/3713   as soon as My nova is Done The 67 Bug is getting the same makeover I will admit My 67 Bug is a Bit Faster then the nova but with both cars you can go to any cruise night you want without getting funny looks as far as the 67 's Go  There are alot of differences in them even early and late in the same year I have had 48 VW's  37 of them being 67's  So I Do Like The 67 Year Alot but all years from the 50's threw72 standard beetle they all make Great Cal Looks as Long as you stick to The Old School Cal Look...  with the right wheels,tires,bumpers,paint and body and Drive Train They all Look Great.

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Cornpanzer

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 01:44:39 am »

some of my favorite cars happen to be 67's. Art G's car ,Greg B's,  Mike Billing's , Mark Dean's and a host of others..       Later  Bill

Ahem....Ahem!  Cry

Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
SixTeeSeven

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 01:50:46 am »

Hey Now Lets Watch The Cracks On 67 Novas I also own One 327/350H.P. 4 Speed take a look its been a long time Project http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/forest/3713   as soon as My nova is Done The 67 Bug is getting the same makeover I will admit My 67 Bug is a Bit Faster then the nova but with both cars you can go to any cruise night you want without getting funny looks as far as the 67 's Go  There are alot of differences in them even early and late in the same year I have had 48 VW's  37 of them being 67's  So I Do Like The 67 Year Alot but all years from the 50's threw72 standard beetle they all make Great Cal Looks as Long as you stick to The Old School Cal Look...  with the right wheels,tires,bumpers,paint and body and Drive Train They all Look Great.

You have had 38 VWs and 37 were 67s and they are my favorite year. Sorry if you got upset that I mentioned a VW being faster than a Chevy Nova but you admittted they are your Beetle is a bit faster. We don't get many Chey Novas in England but we have a lot of Vauxhall Novas and they are rubbish. My friend drives one. I have only had one Beetle and it is a 1972 But i will be buying a 1967 netx year.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 02:08:06 am »

thats 48 not 38  lol

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 02:18:56 am »

All of those cars I mentioned have the package trays intact Dave ...Although I admit I would have to run & hide from that 40mm valve motor of yours. 
   PS.. please don't tell the others on the turbo race car forum about this place.   See ya    Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
SixTeeSeven

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 02:25:03 am »

Finally somebody asked the question I have been thinking about for a while....I hear all of my friends drone on about their sb12 headlight rings & broken push button door handles...All kidding aside, some of my favorite cars happen to be 67's. Art G's car ,Greg B's,  Mike Billing's , Mark Dean's and a host of others..  I would put some of those smiley faces on here, but I am not bright enough to do so.
     Later  Bill

The metallic green car owned by Art Guttieyez is one of my top VWs ever. Did he crash it and rebuild it? The other car which I really like is owned by Ivan Mccuctheon and has real BRM wheels
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 02:28:57 am »

Later  Bill

For me its the same alot of my favourite cars are 67's and after spending a LONG time wondering what it really was that made me like these cars I still can not put my finger on it, I do think it has alot to to do with the one year only parts Boot lid, hood, etc And the fact that you still get the COOL wide 5 bolt pattern. just my 2 cents really  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 02:48:28 am »

some of my favorite cars happen to be 67's. Art G's car ,Greg B's,  Mike Billing's , Mark Dean's and a host of others..       Later  Bill

Ahem....Ahem!  Cry

Grin

Hey... he didn't mention mine either!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
The Ideaman

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 04:07:39 am »

Ever since moving to Fresno in 2002, 67's come to me like lost puppies.  I've owned  upwards of 10 since then.  Actually I prefer 66's, because the first car I owned in 1978 was a 1966 java green sedan with empi fenders on the rear and a weird dark grey magnesium wheel in the trunk.  Sold it in 1982 with a 2 liter and ida's.  Wonder what became of it?

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 07:03:10 am »

Why? Its the best of the old (-'66), and the best of the new (+'68). I was going to buy a '66 until I read the Cal Look Bible, after that I knew I had to have a '67. There is no substitute!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 08:33:29 am »

It's simply the combination of old and new, that's why I like '67 bug ...
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 09:26:32 am »

I love all the one year only parts, handles,decklid,valance,trim,starter motor,axles,winders,dash knobs,door pulls,brake reservoir and if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't of known about the US wings Grin I know there are loads more that I've missed and I'm still descovering them with every '67 I see Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
alex d

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 10:37:50 am »

67s? nah, everybody knows that 64s make the ultimate looker Grin
Andi/DFL

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 11:22:49 am »

I think, that's the ultimate statement and the thread should be closed right here :-)))

Type1/DVK

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 12:57:46 pm »

2nd that!  Grin

(@jordy, in the winter edition of "Boxertje" is a nice article about the '67s)

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: