The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 23:39:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New guy looking for inspiration..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New guy looking for inspiration..  (Read 11891 times)
Doogle

« on: September 23, 2009, 10:23:21 am »

Hi guys,

A friend told me about this site on monday, thought Id check it out and looks great, some nice cars owned by people.
Anyway, Iv just bought a '71 bug with 1300tp engine, fairly complete and trying to decide what to do with her, someone has already started converting it to early look (genuine long bonnet, early valances welded in, sloping wings) but the vents behind the rear windows are still there. She is basically a drivable shell so perfect time to respray and choose which direction I would like to go. I love Cal look but not being too into the bug side of the scene Iv never really looked deeply into what it actually means or what makes a good Cal look bug. Or what styles are really available at all!

So far Im thinking of spraying it Capri blue (as per cover car on last months volksworld) lowered on polished fuchs. Keep all the chrome trim including the window rubber inserts, stock rear lights, running boards etc, but with US headlights and weld in new metal behind the windows to delete the vents.    What does anyone think to this?

Any ideas, advice, info to help decide what style to go for would be great including any pics of cal looked late 60s, early 70s bugs.

Something like this.. Still undecided on what bumpers to use, or T bars, and whether to have polished or detailed fuchs. Or something different all together. It needs some rake too.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/Doogle_010/?action=view&current=100920093519.jpg

cheers,
Doug.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:35:26 am by Doogle » Logged
Doogle

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:36:48 am »

And here is the project in question..

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/Doogle_010/?action=view&current=240820093411.jpg
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:32:11 am »

Doogle, I can't see the pictures (photobucket is banned here at work!) but it sounds like a nice project. Try to keep everything "year correct", even for a wrong'un, so with the early valances and wings, go for a '65-'67 look. You've got the option whether or not to de-chrome the body (personally, I would!), and remember that nothing looks worse than the tombstone rear lights with a semi-W lid! Bumpers or Tbars is your choice, some people on here have both and change as the mood takes them! Polished Fuchs is more a Resto Cal thing, we like detailed ones on here! Wink

Keep asking questions and we'll do our best to answer them! Welcome to the Lounge! Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Doogle

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 15:35:02 pm »

Thanks very much thats already helped alot. I do like polished Fuchs, just didnt know which style which belonged to, so now I know  Grin
I have a semi w deck lid to put on so what lights would it be best to go for? Are the '65-'67 ones smaller than the 70s ones as if they are then thats something I will need to source.
Regards chrome trim Im not sure myself whether to keep or not, shes had new doors fitted so no holes drilled yet for the trim, so do I remove it and fill it all in or keep it and then which do I go for the chunkier 60s type and change the fitting kit or leave the existing fittings and have the thin 70s type.. decisions decisions and what to do with the window rubbers, all being replaced as Im going to spray it but do I go stock or smoothed 'cal-look' rubbers? I dont want it to be totally true, 'cos its never going to be being a '70's bug anyway and I do like my trim and the classic look the chrome gives, BUT what appeals more to people? Im also trying to think alot about re-sale value as unsure if shes going to be allowed to stay long term.. so that plays a part in how far I go with the project and the 'look'.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 17:38:06 pm »

I do like polished Fuchs ! Grin

Whiterag

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 22:31:11 pm »

You picked it up yet?

Know where you can get a set Fuchs Wink
Doogle

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 23:09:24 pm »

Not yet, week after Brighton breeze. Where would that be ?  Grin
Whiterag

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:17:09 am »

Could be over the barn waiting for the car to arrive- better start saving!
Doogle

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 10:14:19 am »

I need to start saving just for repro ones let alone genuine ones  Embarrassed  Hopefully only a couple of weeks to go till I get it.

What do you think to my plans? Still undecided as to the details and my mind is changing on colour choice, seen yours, and some savannah? beige ones on here and Im quite liking that look. But still like the capri blue Idea. Iv got the deck lid mostly prepped now as well by the way, that filler was a nightmare, removed alot of it and tapped out most of the dents instead  Grin
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 10:15:55 am »

Hi and welcome to The Lounge!

Nice project but please do not lower it the common way because it will make your car look like a old, shitty BMW. Follow the cover car you mention and do it the proper way.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
simon uk

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:42:45 am »

I suspect most of us on here would also choose to go for some old period parts, maybe a hurst or berg shifter, or something different for a steering wheel. I quite like the look of late model 1200s, and if that was my car, I would have tried to style it that way, with genuine empi 8 spokes (which you can get for decent prices these days), and plain rubber trims for the windows, 1200s didnt have chrome trim either. Add to that a slight drop at the front, and 1200 style rear lights (the same as bugs from 62ish on), and it should be looking good. I would also go for t bars. Colour is up to you, but as you have said, savannah beige should be pretty nice. My cars colour is bahama blue which is a 65-67 colour and isnt a mile out from what your car was originally painted, but capri blue is also cool!
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 14:29:37 pm »

Got a cab deck lid you can have for free to go with it?

Rob
Doogle

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 15:46:38 pm »

Any piccies of the deck lid mate?

Thanks for comments guys. If I wasstarting with it from the start then I wouldnt easly look it, Id def give it the 1200 look and not go as far as early wings and welding in new valances, but its done so ill run with it. There are some really nice late lookers in the late look thread though!!

What would everyone suggest as the best way to lower it (If you havnt uessed by now Im a bus man by heart so a bug virgin) Id like to get her fairly low but coutry lanes around me may not allow seriously low (negative camber, tucked up in arches etc) but is that the Cal look way or not??
I was thinking lowered spindles, narrowed beam MAYBE and a couple of splines down on the back with notched/adjustable spring plates?? Please please correct me if Im going about this the wrong way, I dont want to bodge it but also need to keep cost in mind so Air etc is out.
Doogle

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 15:50:16 pm »

Oh and a new shifter is on the list of parts too, Im also thinking of doing something diferent with the dash, '65-'67 switches/knobs as a start if I can fit them, or custom add them in a line under the radio and use stock ones or some other toggle type ones?? Plus, I know its probably not true to cal look, but I was going to fit my grandads old formula vee steering wheel.

This is starting to sound like a right mess of different styles to me... Huh
Neil Davies

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 16:16:54 pm »

Any piccies of the deck lid mate?

Thanks for comments guys. If I wasstarting with it from the start then I wouldnt easly look it, Id def give it the 1200 look and not go as far as early wings and welding in new valances, but its done so ill run with it. There are some really nice late lookers in the late look thread though!!

What would everyone suggest as the best way to lower it (If you havnt uessed by now Im a bus man by heart so a bug virgin) Id like to get her fairly low but coutry lanes around me may not allow seriously low (negative camber, tucked up in arches etc) but is that the Cal look way or not??
I was thinking lowered spindles, narrowed beam MAYBE and a couple of splines down on the back with notched/adjustable spring plates?? Please please correct me if Im going about this the wrong way, I dont want to bodge it but also need to keep cost in mind so Air etc is out.

Dropped spindles would be fine, and the narrowed beam only to account for the added width of the spindles and discs (you may aswell change to discs if you're getting new spindles), if any. Cal Look isn't all about getting the car on the floor though, so dropping the back end is generally a no-no. You want a purposeful stance, nose down, but you don't need the valance to be scraping!
Just keep looking at the pictures and see what you want before you start work. It does sound a little like you might be leaning towards Resto Cal, so worth checking out www.restowagenuk.com if you are unsure. Personally I'm a massive fan of the quality of work that the Resto Cal lot tend to produce, but not the broken axle wheelbarrow look!  Wink Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Doogle

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 16:39:42 pm »

Thanks for that, must admit I have noticed that not many bugs seem to be fully lowered. which suits me quite well. I will check out the site. Im not a fan or 'pan scrapingly' low either but dont mind the look so much, just wouldnt go that far on anything I ever owned. Seems like it may be easier than I thought  to get the look Grin

The bug already has disks on the front, but I wouldnt mind stepping up to vented and maybe some different type of calipers to match the porka wheels and aid stopping power as Id like to go up CC wise in the future.
simon uk

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 16:42:27 pm »

lol, if 54caldub has a free pre 67 cabrio decklid going, I will have some of that!!!!

It does sound like a slight mismatch of styles, the dropped front end only is the way to go for cal look. Porsche wheels would suit pretty much any year bug, so that would look cool. Depends how far you want to go, if you are cutting out the vents behind the rear windows, you could consider plating over the fuel tank hole on the front wing as well and fitting an earlier tank? Do you have a pic of the steering wheel? If it is one of the VDM ones, those are a nice addition!

Si.
Doogle

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 17:23:09 pm »

Yea if it were a pre 67 Ill have some of that too! But a cool addition whatever style.

Ok dropped front it is then.  Grin I like the idea of porsche wheels, just love the look, also considering riviera but that means keeping it 4 stud which gives away its age (not that the number plate wouldnt anyway) Regards the fuel tank, I was considering this, how easy is it to do, blankingover would be easy but how hard is it to fit an early tank, and where could I get one? I was considering leaving it as it would still look like a '68/'69 car.. whereas the vents are obviously '70s??

Which is the VDM style? Mine is black with holes drilled in the spokes, its flat and has a large flat circular horn push with wolfsburg logo thats got a flat top to it and made of rubber

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk36/Doogle_010/?action=view&current=060920093507.jpg
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 17:31:22 pm by Doogle » Logged
simon uk

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 21:59:18 pm »

thats the wheel I was thinking of, maybe it isnt a vdm and I am mistaken, still, it is pretty cool, i think there was a wanted ad on here recently for one of those.

Im not sure about the size of the later tanks, maybe someone can confirm? I believe the mounting with the 4 bolts is the same though, and my initial thought is that they are a straight swap. You will have to open the front to fill her up though! Megabug or someone breaking their car would probably be a good bet for an old tank?
Doogle

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 22:32:16 pm »

Yea it is nice, plus has sentimental value so even nicer. There was one for sale on Vzi recently.
Yea would be nice, I dont mind opening the bonnet, adds to the cool factor. Has anyone got a good late tank going reasonably? I dont know anyone on here except Whiterag so wouldnt know who to ask.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 00:30:05 am »

I've always liked the steering wheels that VW and Porsche have offered through the years. That one, you've posted, looks GREAT. I'd run that if I were building a late model ('68+) car.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Fiatdude

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 00:51:46 am »

If your into this for resale you better just push it into front yard now -- cause your gonna get back maybe 30%

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »

Dude late is the new early  Grin

Dude its a 73 1200 Cab deck lid which would add to the cool late look.

Find a nice set of Porsche 2 litres and drop spindles at the front + 1 spline at the back. I would keep as much stock as possible Smiley
Doogle

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 15:34:36 pm »

Yea, as said, if it were me starting with a 70s car then Id keep it stock body wise, as VW intended, just give it all the extras for that late look but as It had all the early panels fitted Ill just carry on with it/keep it. Its just getting it 'right'

Not in it entirely for re-sale, just been told I cant have too many toys  Roll Eyes so it may have to go in future but only once done 'cos I want some fun with it first. Not looking to just make money with it.
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 19:13:31 pm »

cool so where are you in the world dude Smiley
Doogle

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 19:15:14 pm »

I be down south, Isle of Wight. Where are you?
Doogle

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 22:18:38 pm »

My mind is changing, Capri blue, Sea blue or Strato silver blue?? Or even grey? Theres a really yummy grey one in the 'show us you cal look' thread and a nice strato one as well, but is that colour just too early for my car? My grandads '54 karmann was strato..
Doogle

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 16:57:45 pm »

SHES ARRIVED  Grin

Will load up pictures once Its stopped raining and I can actually go and take some!  Sad
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 11:43:46 am »

Come on.... it hasn't rained for days now!

ESH

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 12:33:01 pm »

My mind is changing, Capri blue, Sea blue or Strato silver blue?? Or even grey? Theres a really yummy grey one in the 'show us you cal look' thread and a nice strato one as well, but is that colour just too early for my car? My grandads '54 karmann was strato..

If not a VW colour then check out Porsche colour charts, they spent a lot of money researching colours and there's some good ones that should work well on a Bug plus there's plenty to chose from that are from the correct period.

Good luck with it.

Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: