The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:15:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350794 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  1.4 rockers / Which one to buy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1.4 rockers / Which one to buy?  (Read 17529 times)
Felix/DFL

« on: October 07, 2009, 21:51:20 pm »

Hi,

which 1.4 rockers could you recomend? I need to buy some to act with an Fk10 and wanted to hear some opinions.I am thinking about those:

Pauter:
I think that is the top gun. Light, reliable, low friction cause of the roller contact and a true 1.4 ratio. BUT expensive.(400$)

Scat forged:
Don`t know much about those.True ratio? Half of the Pauter price...(234$)

AJ Sims/Low budget:
The advertisment text reads very nice. But I didn`t heared or read anything about those so far...They look close to the Scat forged and have a very good price (139$)

Those are out of view:

Empi/Scat cheap:
I saw and hearded of failed adjusting screws. True ratio is not really 1.4. Price is very low. But anyhow quality costs...(115$)

Auto-craft:
The needle bearing one`s often fail, that`s what I read...(...$)

Any other one`s to think about?

Thank you for your opinions and time!

Cheers,
Felix
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 22:02:17 pm »

I've run Scat's since 1991 (same set) until 2007 (I have their 1.25 on my motor now). I would always suggest them. I don't like their lash caps though. I use Bugpack racing, CB's, or when you can get them, Bergs.

I have a set of Bugpack 1.4 for Sheep's motor, which set up nicely. I have not run these before, but did set up geometry. So far ok.

I ran Autocraft pro 1.25's (black ones) skuffer tip (not roller tip) on the old shop drag motor. They're nice.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 22:03:12 pm »

I have some Bugpack ones on a FK-8. No problems. (look the same as those from lowbugget)

I believe the rockers from CB are also very good!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 22:06:51 pm »

If you can find Bergs 1.4, those are very nice. A.J.'s are the chinese ones, BUT, what I have done is take them over to Berg and have them switched over to there hardware, now they become very good rockers assy. The rocker themselves are very good, just the shafts are softer. But in the process, Berg use's there rocker stands also. I have been using the Chinese 1.25's with all the Berg hardware and have no problem's. Berg has to the upgrade cause they hone the rockers a little to fit there shafts. Berg has shafts and all hardware but no more rockers. Thats been like that for awhile now. Scats are nice too, but in the past there ratio's were off. Hope this helps. Good luck!

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 22:18:42 pm »

Thee Auto-Crafts are nice, just don't set them up loose, thats when they fail by being loose, I've use those before long time ago, and mind failed, and I worked at Auto-Craft, when they set-up theirs on their motors, was a little tighter, not loose and not tight, it worked. But I learned the hard way. I should of asked. Never ran CB's or Bugpack, can't help you with those.

VW Classic 2012
Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:39:21 am »

scat rockers now have 3/8" thread cup adjuster screws, so no more breaking them.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 16:30:10 pm »

scat rockers now have 3/8" thread cup adjuster screws, so no more breaking them.

I've never broken a Scat adjuster in 18 years.
Fiatdude

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 17:19:59 pm »

This is a very simple answer to the question---

Look into your wallet --- see all that money in there -- OK, Now how much of it do you want to spend?Huh?? -- Now you take that amount and you match it up to amounts next to the above rockers and you get them.

All the rockers are good -- when used within their design -- If you don't want to spend much, AJ's work really well -- as long as you don't expect them to do 10,000 rpm for hours on end.

When I bought -- I looked in my wallet -- then I looked at my 2919 and thought of all the money tied up in it -- then I looked deeper into my wallet -- then I cried -- then I bought a set of Pauter's
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 17:31:46 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
ian c

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 17:33:32 pm »

do they fit harold ?
are they over on the ratio too ??

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 17:46:03 pm »

do they fit harold ?

what kind of heads do you have, ian?
richie

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 17:55:02 pm »

What heads are you using? with vw casting they will come out around 1.4 with something like a comp eliminator they come out bigger as the mounting blocks in the head are moved,on my JPM heads the 1.5 pauters came out 1.68,old Scats 1.59,new scats 1.48.

Personally i like the scat ones,I set up some yesterday on a VW casting head 2332 and they were only 0.006 thou out on the advertised lift,
the ones AJ sells are good but I have seen a couple of adjusters fail.
I dont like the autocrafts at all,the latest set I had came with several problems including some of the needle bearings damaged when installed at origin,to fix them would have ended up costing more than pauters

cheers richie,uk  

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
gator_push

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 18:07:45 pm »

I ran the Berg rockers for 7 years. No issues seen even at high rpms (8k+), I assume they will last forever even under toughest conditions. Yes, they do have their price, but it is definitely a long-term investment.

Changed to Pauter rockers a year ago, I cannot make an unambiguous judgement yet which one of the two I like more. Are there any long-term research results available on which one of the two concepts (needle bearing or bushing) has proven to be superior?
Fiatdude

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 21:28:04 pm »

do they fit harold ?

Here are my angle ports as of a couple of days ago porting has been done but that is it -- So you can see that we haven't got to point of installing the rockers yet -- Have redone the shims on the shafts to center the rockers further out to be over the exhaust but that is  as far as we have gotten

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

stealth67vw

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 01:52:46 am »

I have CB 1.4s and they set up petty much dead on at 1.4:1. My FK-45 lifted .566" at the valve on CB 044s and .561 was the advertised lift.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 10:11:28 am »

I vote for the CB  version too. Geometry is better on a VW casting compared to most others.
Dont like Pauter & Autorcraft for the street. Too high failiure rate. In a race situation where the last pony counts, it another matter.
T
ian c

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 05:54:35 am »

what kind of heads do you have, ian?
What heads are you using?   

hey guys
street eliminators with long valves ..
i have info from don about changing the arms and shafts over to get the right fit on the valves , and a couple of other mods
but thats all i can tell you , as all my data is in the stoopid hp tablet thats broken again !!  Roll Eyes
iirc , i had to buy 1.4 and 1.5 and mix the parts to make fit Huh

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:56:18 am by ian c » Logged

(o\ ! /o)
Fiatdude

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 06:16:07 am »

I thought u were gonna bring that thing up to my laptop dude and have him take a hammer to it for u

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

ian c

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 07:34:52 am »

its really broke , a hammering would probobly be an improvement !!!
needs a new motherboard and apparently the only place that can do a repair is in santa clara  Roll Eyes

(o\ ! /o)
Felix/DFL

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 14:35:22 pm »

Hi all,

thank`s everyone for all those good opinions and experiences!
Rockers will go on 044 heads. Really true that the head makes a difference! I have never thought of that differnce that the tolerance of the rockerscrewing to valve makes...

I have looked in my wallet, but have no real cause (as I won`t go over 7500-8000rpm) to spend as twice as I get when I buy Scat`s or CB`s. So I will go with those and spend the other money on good valve springs (berg?) an titanium retainers  Wink

I think that some adjusting screw failures are a consequnce of a non correct set rocker geometry (When the screws extends to much at the inside of the rocker)

@Thorben: Failed pauter`s? What fails on them, never heared of...

Greetz!
JS

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 15:27:56 pm »

I have the Scat ones. Works great for me at least.

Signature.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 18:08:49 pm »

Rockers will go on 044 heads. Really true that the head makes a difference! I have never thought of that differnce that the tolerance of the rockerscrewing to valve makes...

Add to this that the ratio changes with every turn of the of adjusters...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
richie

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 20:39:41 pm »

Add to this that the ratio changes with every turn of the of adjusters...

I wish that was always true,then maybe I could have used the berg rockers with fk48 I was trying for soemone last week that came out at .700thou lift,we tried everything to get it to a more sensible lift but the least we could get was .691thou,still way to much for the heads being used,I didnt see more than .004thou variation with the adjuster screws

Felix you made a good choice,but look for other valve springs,CB are selling some really good ones right now for your aplication

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fiatdude

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 20:44:54 pm »

I vote for the CB  version too. Geometry is better on a VW casting compared to most others.
Dont like Pauter & Autorcraft for the street. Too high failiure rate. In a race situation where the last pony counts, it another matter.
T

Torben -- I've been asking around and I've haven't found anybody with a Pauter failure or even heard of a Pauter Failure  --  Who do you know?Huh

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Fiatdude

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 20:46:46 pm »

its really broke , a hammering would probably be an improvement !!!
needs a new motherboard and apparently the only place that can do a repair is in santa clara  Roll Eyes

bring that thing up here and we'll jack the hard drive up and run a new computer underneath it  -should run OK after that

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 21:57:33 pm »

I wish that was always true

As long as the distance from tip of the adjuster to the center of the axle changes (longer or shorter) the ratio is changing, that's just geometry...  but as you point out it might be minute  Undecided

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ian c

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 22:47:50 pm »

T

Torben -- I've been asking around and I've haven't found anybody with a Pauter failure or even heard of a Pauter Failure  --  Who do you know?Huh

splash oiling , ask glenn Wink
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 23:11:55 pm by ian c » Logged

(o\ ! /o)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 03:00:51 am »

Just went through a major rocker/geometry check experiment on my 2276. I run stock, welded castings by Fumio. Checked Berg 1.4s & 1.45s, and Pauter 1.4s and 1.5s. The Berg rockers measured out to 1.55:1 and 1.59:1 respectively. I only recorded the numbers for the Pauter 1.4s which measured out at 1.44:1. All of them demanded the same length pushrod for proper geometry within .010" ... interesting.
Ended up running the Berg 1.45s, which were on the motor to begin with ... lots of work for nothing? Undecided ... not so, as now I know!
By the way, the Pauters had the best geometry at the valve tip, for the record.

As for failures, I've not experienced any. Although, I've heard from reliable sources that the potential problem is created by over the top spring pressures when using the Pauter rocker and reveils itself in shaft failure/breakage.

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:29 am »

its really broke , a hammering would probably be an improvement !!!

bring that thing up here and we'll jack the hard drive up and run a new computer underneath it  -should run OK after that
Hey Fiat dude. sorry I havent been around for a while.
Over here 2 sets of Pauters have broken out of maybe 3-4 sets in the country. (This WAS the old version) I am not aware if they have changed the design before they released the new series though. Like I said, in a race application I would use them anyway, as there the last pony counts.
The Autocrafts wear the needle bearings in about 1 season when used on the street. And it is a PITA to replace them. That is why I began to use the CB´s instead. Sofar so good. - Havent seen any failiures yet with those. Maybe others can tell a different story. If so I would like to hear it.
henk

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 10:35:12 am »

with the empi ones,is it just the adjuster screw cup  ends that are bad or is there more wrong with them.
if i change the cup ends with an other brand are they then more relaible?

henk!!!

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 16:26:11 pm »

Yes, I believe Berg still have there's. I had never had a problem with the Berg adjusters.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: