The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:28:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Old School Newbie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old School Newbie  (Read 2852 times)
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« on: October 09, 2009, 06:03:56 am »

Hello to all,
I have been using and observing the forums for a couple of months now and I thought I should formally introduce myself to the lounge. My name is Bruce Frye and grew up at the same time and in the same town as Shubee, but we didn’t meet until the early ‘70’s. I had started fixing up my ’61 Sunroof, the main inspiration being the Cal Look issues of Hot VW’s. Being from a small town in the San Gabriel Valley (northwest Orange County) we didn’t have that many hot VW’s around. When he spotted my lowered Bug in town he introduced himself and we have been friends ever since. He took me to a DVB meeting and introduced me to all the members, such as Frenchy, Doug McCain, Cowboy, John Fawley etc. I soon joined and became a regular attendee. That was around 1975, but the exact year and time escapes me. I know that Ron Hussy was in his first term as President, so perhaps Frenchy can chime in if he has the records to show the date (s) he was in office. There is a picture of my car as it was when I joined DVB on Frenchy’s website. It’s under Bug-In photos; I will try to attach it to this post.
As Shubee may have spoke of in the past, we broke off and formed DSK in our area with friends who shared similar interests in becoming more discriminating towards strictly Cal Look cars. I have a lot of fond memories from both clubs but mainly DSK, as I helped form it and we were the underdogs at most rallies after that. We surprised DKP and DVB both with our strong membership showings at their events. I have some photos of the 61SNRF as it was in DSK, I’ll try to attach those too. BTW, nobody called them “Ragtops” back then, and when I picked that “personalized” California license plate number in the ‘70’s, that’s all they could fit was 6 digits, thus the abbreviation.
I have been an auto mechanic since ’74, working at Fiat, Saab, Renault, VW and finally Volvo dealerships. I also worked on VW’s with Vaughn Rolling’s from ’79 to ’85, then took a long absence from the VW hobby from then until HVW’s Drag Day this March. An old friend and charter DSK member invited me to go and I consequently got re-bitten by the Bug! Seeing our old buddy Roger Crawford doing wheelstands and quick ET’s may have something to do with it! My current project is a solid, one owner ’66 which I would like to eventually give the old school Cal Look treatment.
I would also like to thank the moderators, administrators and builders for putting this cool web site up. It is an informative, interesting and at times entertaining mix of our common interests.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:16:14 am by 61SNRF » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:31:05 am »

Greetings and welcome to The Lounge, Bruce. Very cool that you worked with Vaughn (R.I.P.).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 13:41:11 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 16:43:30 pm »

welcome to the lounge bruce  ,hope you will enjoy the place and share some old cool  stories with us

rgd
fabs

Wink
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 16:48:50 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 18:33:13 pm »

Welcome  Cool.

vwcab

peter