The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:43:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hurst Shifters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hurst Shifters  (Read 7603 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: October 12, 2009, 19:56:43 pm »

Do real Hurst shifters have the crappy plastic base cover that the repo, and I use that term lightly, empi version? I bought an empi version for my Manx and I am not overly impressed.

edit: spealen

Thanks,

--louis
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 19:59:39 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Dan Mazur

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 20:17:47 pm »

It's an exact copy.

Installed the Empi repop, yesterday. It looks and feels the same.  I noticed the black ball wasn't as smooth. Other than the Empi logo on the shaft, it's the same thing.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 20:23:12 pm »

It's an exact copy.

Installed the Empi repop, yesterday. It looks and feels the same.  I noticed the black ball wasn't as smooth. Other than the Empi logo on the shaft, it's the same thing.

Then how do you keep the plastic base from flopping around when you shift?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 20:57:56 pm »

It's my understanding that the original Hurst shifter had  a much higher-quality of steel for the base/frame and overall construction; the Empi/Mr. Bug version is made of a much cheaper and thinner construction quality. No surprises there, as Empi/Mr. Bug sucks chocolate hot dogs.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 21:32:39 pm »

It's an exact copy.

Then how do you keep the plastic base from flopping around when you shift?

Thanks,

--louis

Honestly, I haven't looked down at it.

Dan Mazur

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 21:34:39 pm »

It's my understanding that the original Hurst shifter had  a much higher-quality of steel for the base/frame and overall construction; the Empi/Mr. Bug version is made of a much cheaper and thinner construction quality. No surprises there, as Empi/Mr. Bug sucks chocolate hot dogs.

I'm not going to waste time searching for a 30 year old shifter and spend lots of cash getting it into my car.

I don't really care who makes it, it feels tight and shifts well. If it breaks, I'll buy another.

bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 21:47:36 pm »

I'm not going to waste time searching for a 30 year old shifter and spend lots of cash getting it into my car.

I don't really care who makes it, it feels tight and shifts well. If it breaks, I'll buy another.

That's all well and fine, but the fact remains that the original Hurst is a much better piece.  They're not all outrageously priced, I found one on the Samba for 25 bucks from a sandrail guy.  It was an awesome driver shifter.  And it's like they say about quality, 'Buy the best and cry once.'  If you have to repeatedly buy something because it doesnt' last, that initial cheaper price doesn't really count for much, IMO.

As for the whores at  EMPI/Mr. Bug, they've ruined the VW parts industry in so many ways that they deserve all the harsh criticsm and more. I would honestly not be heartbroken if they disappeared from the market today or tomorrow or next week.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:08:25 am »

As for the whores at  EMPI/Mr. Bug, they've ruined the VW parts industry in so many ways that they deserve all the harsh criticsm and more. I would honestly not be heartbroken if they disappeared from the market today or tomorrow or next week.

Amen to THAT, brother.

I had a black chrome Hurst shifter when I built my first Cal Looker in '79. Even came with the original wood knob. I was bummed when it was stolen from my car when Mr. Bill's VW carnapped my ride. Feckless moronic piles of fecal matter. Anyway, the original Hurst shifters were great. I'll bet that they still hold up... even today. Everyone that I know who had 'em liked they way they worked and the quality was bullet proof. Never broke a thing on that set up.

I was bummed when I had to get a new one from the Auto Haus where I worked... but at least it was a real Hurst and not some ersatz disposable unit.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 02:09:25 am »

I can't imagine using anything but my real Hurst(s).  If you're talking the "cover" for the base, yeah I think they're the same.  I have original covers and a couple of the new ones you can still buy; they seem the same.  It should fit tightly around the metal base and stay in place.  Make sure your carpet isn't keeping the base from seating down properly.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 02:10:47 am »

I have been running the Empi Hurst style on my vert.  I put very few miles on my ride and dont really hammer it that hard.  After only six months and 1000 or so miles the reverse lock out bar just snapped off.  Normal shifting and BLAM, the shifter goes goofy.  The little angle iron plate is just barely tacked on with two little spot welds.  They snapped.
I called Empi USA and they told me to take it back to where I bought it and they would review it for warranty.
Kustom 1 Warehouse in Orange sold it to me and I walked in and they gave another no charge right then and there.  I bolted it in and it works (for now).
Trying to save a few dollars in the build up stage put that shifter in my ride.  Eventually I anticipate dropping in the deeeee-lux Berg locking unit.  But spending $400 plus was not a viable option at that time.  If I can run it, break it, return it, I am good for now.  Plus all the old Hurst shifters I see on The Samba are rusted like hell and over $150.  
Definately not recomending this unit, its flimsy.  It is warrantee-able however.  Just wish it would have lasted (a lot) longer.  The ball does wear quick, its soft plastic, but it shifts well and feels good.
Yup.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:12:22 am by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Dan Mazur

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 02:30:59 am »

I have been running the Empi Hurst style on my vert.  I put very few miles on my ride and dont really hammer it that hard.  After only six months and 1000 or so miles the reverse lock out bar just snapped off.  Normal shifting and BLAM, the shifter goes goofy.  The little angle iron plate is just barely tacked on with two little spot welds.  They snapped.
I called Empi USA and they told me to take it back to where I bought it and they would review it for warranty.
Kustom 1 Warehouse in Orange sold it to me and I walked in and they gave another no charge right then and there.  I bolted it in and it works (for now).
Trying to save a few dollars in the build up stage put that shifter in my ride.  Eventually I anticipate dropping in the deeeee-lux Berg locking unit.  But spending $400 plus was not a viable option at that time.  If I can run it, break it, return it, I am good for now.  Plus all the old Hurst shifters I see on The Samba are rusted like hell and over $150.  
Definately not recomending this unit, its flimsy.  It is warrantee-able however.  Just wish it would have lasted (a lot) longer.  The ball does wear quick, its soft plastic, but it shifts well and feels good.
Yup.

Zactly.........

Rennsurfer

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:22:11 am »

I can't imagine using anything but my real Hurst(s).  If you're talking the "cover" for the base, yeah I think they're the same.  I have original covers and a couple of the new ones you can still buy; they seem the same.  It should fit tightly around the metal base and stay in place.  Make sure your carpet isn't keeping the base from seating down properly.

Good advice. Never had a problem with mine, but always told my customers the same thing regarding the carpet.

Worm, that's a bummer about your shifter. But at least you were able to replace it. It's good to hear about that stuff happening... far too many times, the opposite horror stories take place.

~Sarge
Bryan67

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 03:45:51 am »

Had an EMPI wannabe years ago and I broke the reverse cable twice. But I have a friend with one in his car and it works fine so who knows? Real Hursts are usually around $100.00 in fact I have a nice one now for sale for $100.00..... The Bugpack Berg style shifters are USA made and work good. But its pretty much spend a bunch on a BERG or get a used real Hurst.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 05:19:05 am »

I'll always talk to you, Mark Chicky - Baby.

I also park at Nick's.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 05:46:31 am »

Good advice. Never had a problem with mine, but always told my customers the same thing regarding the carpet.

Worm, that's a bummer about your shifter. But at least you were able to replace it. It's good to hear about that stuff happening... far too many times, the opposite horror stories take place.

I'm sure most parts suppliers would be good about replacing the defective product within a reasonable time period. 

I'm not going to cry about dropping another $50.00 for a broken shifter, but I'll run it by the parts store for a replacement first.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 07:03:51 am »

I'll always talk to you, Mark Chicky - Baby.

"A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
~Steven Wright

I'm sure most parts suppliers would be good about replacing the defective product within a reasonable time period. 

I'm not going to cry about dropping another $50.00 for a broken shifter, but I'll run it by the parts store for a replacement first.

I dunno, Dan... we ARE talking about the new EMPI

Grin

But I see your point... at least try to get a free replacement, first. Geez, they're only $50? No WONDER they work so "well". HAHA!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:06:44 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
kingsburgphil

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:24:14 am »

I had a least three original Hurst shifters, all worked reliably, solid, heavy and slow.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:28:57 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:22 am »

I've had copies and originals (currently have a nice copper plate/rosewood handle one, but it's on the shelf cos I prefer the Berg) and have to say there isn't a great deal of difference between the two...

My brother had the reverse lock out break on one - the bit that holds the wire up on the trigger snapped off. Who wants to venture whether it was an original or a copy?

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 16:14:46 pm »

I've got an original Hurst slated for AssHull's car...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
SlingShot

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 17:54:17 pm »

I've got an original Hurst slated for AssHull's car...

What ever happened to that car?  Wink Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 18:36:40 pm »

Whatever happened to "52 Days Til Vegas Bug-O-Rama"?

SlingShot

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 18:50:16 pm »

Whatever happened to "52 Days Til Vegas Bug-O-Rama"?

Don't avoid the question!  Roll Eyes

BTW you know what happend to "52 Days Til Vegas Bug-O-Rama" It turned into "52 WEEKS Til Vegas Bug-O-Rama", and I'm still waiting on my 10 month head job to boot   Sad . Oh and I have a kid, whats your excuse?

Will Race For Beer !!!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 19:53:21 pm »

and I'm still waiting on my 10 month head job to boot 

TMI  Shocked

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 16:18:05 pm »

Oh and I have a kid, whats your excuse?

Who's fault is that?!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: