The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:40:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  off the beaten path wrecking yards? Have they all dried up now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: off the beaten path wrecking yards? Have they all dried up now?  (Read 16731 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: October 12, 2009, 21:45:57 pm »

Seems 18-20 years ago, I had a decent list of VW wrecking yards I could get to within a few hours. Most were in some pretty backwoods areas, which made the trips to them all the more... fun (?)
Coming back from Yosemite NP yesterday, I noticed one of my old haunts is now a weedpatch.
I'm certain the others have suffered the same fate. Has the internet killed off all the secret stashes? During the late 1980's and early 1990's we put a lot of miles on my '70 Scab Bus searching the corners of Nothern Calif for W-decklids, oval fuel tanks, radio block offs, heart taillights, all kinds of crap. Does anybody remember Coddington north of Clear Lake, CA?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 21:56:56 pm »

Finding and roaming junkyards, especially old ones, is one of my favorite past times. Unfortunately, with all the law suits, it is almost impossible to find a yard that will actually let you walk around. I have found so many neat project cars int he back of some of these yards. One I knew about was actually owned by the grandfather of a good friend of mine with I was a kid. Years later I went by there and the guy let me go back and walk around. I found a 40 ford and 4 door early 30s Chevy and several 40 - 50's cars and trucks. Few years later I went by again and the place was closed and all the cars were gone. Probably scrapped is my guess.

--louis
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 22:24:34 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 22:08:02 pm »

I bet the EPA cracked down too. I bet the soil where these cars rotted away glows in the dark now. The place I mentioned above... the plant life where the heaps used to be looks "off" compared to the surrounding areas.  Shocked
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 22:17:47 pm »

When your talking good sheetmetal, Yes it is drying up. In hisperia CA. There is a place called small car connection, and they always have something cool setting around. And a place called inner state auto wrecking in san deigo county I heard was pretty good. I hate to say it, But the samba in pretty handy sometimes for getting odd stuff or NOS parts. Some stuff is pretty spendy, But when you compare the same part on a new car, Its not so bad for a 40-50 year old part in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 00:37:12 am by danny gabbard » Logged

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 22:24:47 pm »

When your talking good sheetmetal, Yes it is drying up. In hisperia CA. There is a place called small car connection, and they always have something cool setting around. And a place called all state auto wrecking in san deigo county I heard was pretty good. I hate to say it, But the samba in pretty handy sometimes for getting odd stuff or NOS parts. Some stuff is pretty spendy, But when you compare the same part on a new car, Its not so bad for a 40-50 year old part in my opinion.

I like dealing with Chris @ Small Car Connection. Good guy.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 23:44:40 pm »

When your talking good sheetmetal, Yes it is drying up. In hisperia CA. There is a place called small car connection, and they always have something cool setting around. And a place called all state auto wrecking in san deigo county I heard was pretty good. I hate to say it, But the samba in pretty handy sometimes for getting odd stuff or NOS parts. Some stuff is pretty spendy, But when you compare the same part on a new car, Its not so bad for a 40-50 year old part in my opinion.

Have to agree thesamba.com is pretty handy - I often wonder why people complain about prices Undecided Where else are you gonna find this stuff  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 00:04:17 am »

Have to agree thesamba.com is pretty handy - I often wonder why people complain about prices Undecided Where else are you gonna find this stuff  Smiley

that may be true, but where's the adventure in clicking a mouse and using paypal? Some of my best memories are from rolling around in the weeds under some black widow infested early Bus trying to fight the front beam out in some hillbillie's wrecking field. In fact one time my buddy and I were driving back after an all day jaunt, to buy Bus parts, we're goign along in my Bus, in Napa, CA and I feel this itch on my belly. I lift my T shirt and find a big old fat blood sucking tick embedded under my skin.... now you can't get that on Samba. Can you?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 00:12:05 am »

Speaking of the samba, answer your dang email.  Roll Eyes

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 00:40:23 am »

You guys are right on both accounts, There is nothing better to go out and find some treasure setting some where. And The samba is so fricken easy to find some of the parts that we all seek, When you are limited on time all so often.

Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:58 am »

Speaking of the samba, answer your dang email.  Roll Eyes

--louis

sorry  Kiss

lawrence

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 02:47:58 am »

I have never been to an aircooled or VW specific yard, but I always have fun going to pick-your-part. I found some great stuff for my 86 gti and I always got my entrance fee worth by stuffing my pockets full of misc. small parts Grin Oh, on one trip to pick-your-part my buddy and I stumbled upon a late model that had been involved in a front end collision. It had a complete engine . All he wanted was the cylinder heads so we pulled the engine out and tore it down to a short block on a piece of cardboard in the dirt. We should have taken the entire longblock though because after we got the heads off we noticed that the pistons were brand new. The engine had never been run.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:54:17 am by lawrence » Logged

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
youngnstudly

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:10:39 am »

Nothing like the feeling of finding that rusty old VW with the rare empi gauges, or steering wheel, or 5 spokes. Everytime I spot something with vintage cal-look parts (at the local mechanic shop, a random parking lot, or swap meet, etc) my heart skips a beat or two. I love that feeling. Especially if you get the opportunity to buy something. Wink

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
kafercup

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 17:13:34 pm »

Seems 18-20 years ago, I had a decent list of VW wrecking yards I could get to within a few hours. Most were in some pretty backwoods areas, which made the trips to them all the more... fun (?)
Coming back from Yosemite NP yesterday, I noticed one of my old haunts is now a weedpatch.
I'm certain the others have suffered the same fate. Has the internet killed off all the secret stashes? During the late 1980's and early 1990's we put a lot of miles on my '70 Scab Bus searching the corners of Nothern Calif for W-decklids, oval fuel tanks, radio block offs, heart taillights, all kinds of crap. Does anybody remember Coddington north of Clear Lake, CA?

The yard by Yosemite is gone now???  That's sad..... Sad
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 18:29:52 pm »

yeah nothing there but dust,
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 19:20:42 pm »

Most of the good yards were killed off over here by heath and safety rule's and the internet . I too had some great memories and top finds in old yards , there are a few still about way off the beaten track .
 I must go on a recky and see whats still about .  Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 19:29:15 pm »

Any of you like to drive around back roads or industrial areas and look for old cars? That's another thing I like to do, especially if I am in a new area. I just drive aimlessly around looking to see what is poking out of an old barn, shed or woods. Found some really cool cars that way. My wife is always fussing at me for rubbernecking while driving trying to spot some old car.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 20:40:45 pm »

I'd say 40K of the 77K miles I put on my Fiat X19 in 1990-91 were accumulated doing the same thing.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 20:47:41 pm »

There is a very old yard about 2hrs. drive from my house that still has a large number of antique and obscure cars left.
I own a Corvair Greenbriar and a friend mentioned he saw one there that had a lot of rare accessories, so I went to investigate !
The Corvair didn't have as much as I had hoped, but I did find a few trinkets.
While searching for it I found lots of Model T's, Model A's other cars from the 30's that were completely overgrown with foliage, even a Triumph Mayflower of all things.
As hard as I looked, I couldn't find any vintage VW's or Porsches. :-(
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 21:15:59 pm »

I love driving around old neiborhoods and commercial properties looking for old treasures. I went and put a note on the door of a house in a town called dayton by my shop two weeks ago for a 58-59 bug convertable. I went back a couple days later, The front gate was chained up. I had my hopes up, It was a original paint and super dry car that the body was setting on saw horses and rolling pan setting next to.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 21:32:29 pm »

anybody ever go see the stash on Bethel Island, near Stockton CA?
lawrence

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 04:08:49 am »

what the mothball fleet Grin Seriously though, Jim, what's on Bethel Island. Driving the back way from bugorama across the levy roads and 680 is always fun.

I see some stuff on google maps, but I bet Jim has a tale or two
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:23:02 am by lawrence » Logged

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 04:20:51 am »

what-cha got there on bethel island JIM ??

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 13:05:41 pm »

I was searching bing maps on Bethel Island and saw some junkyards, but it was mostly boats.   Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Lee.C

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 13:42:16 pm »

"While searching for it I found lots of Model T's, Model A's "

Now thats my kinda place  Grin

deano

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 16:16:29 pm »

Don't forget Interstate VWs in Lake Elsinore, CA. All VWs, all the time. Been around for years.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
volksnut

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 19:36:15 pm »

When I lived in North Carolina I found a local yard in the sticks called "Town & Country" had lots and lots of old cars, lots of corvair vans, turbo convert vair too....Oh and saw a 58 ghia on top of a heap of cars...tons of stuff.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 19:57:52 pm »

junkyard  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes....what do you think about this one  Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 20:58:50 pm »

found this in my old vw mag
vw junkyard in socal
may be some of you are remembering this old place Huh
still exist today ?? the report was in april 89

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 21:00:26 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 21:08:29 pm »

another report from another socal  junkyard "durgin cars  & parts" at bellflower

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: