The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:39:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Front tire choice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Front tire choice  (Read 2227 times)
kingsburgphil

« on: October 18, 2009, 06:54:41 am »

The 66 ex race car that I'm buying, currently has 145x15 front tires mounted on Deano type wheels. Any reason why I can't use 125x15 tires like the old school Gasser's?,  if driven carefully. Your thoughts please.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:32 am »

To small of a tire for, 135/15 sounds better and still looks good.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 19:24:08 pm »

driving carefully is what you do the first 2 miles, but after that with 125's it is just and accident waiting to happen.

when i bought my fastback it had 125's (citroën 2cv tyres) at the front (yep bad combo) it wouldn't handle a bit. the baddest thing was i bought it without wipers, wiperengine and when i left the garage where i bought it i ended up in a storm. the car actually stopped better not hitting the pedal. it was a complete nightmare and it just could have put me off completely on old cars there and then, but nothing happend, i skidded half the way back and got lucky. the tyres were one of the first things to go and the wipers and wiperengine were the first things i bought for the car.

sorry for the ramblings
kev d

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 20:29:42 pm »

On a simmilar thread a while back someone suggested tyres from the new type mini (can't remember the size though Roll Eyes),
they have the same overal diameter as a 135 but give a much wider footprint.
Only a suggestion Smiley
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
kingsburgphil

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:26:32 am »

The 66 ex race car that I'm buying, currently has 145x15 front tires mounted on Deano type wheels. Any reason why I can't use 125x15 tires like the old school Gasser's?,  if driven carefully. Your thoughts please.
Perhaps I should clarify my use of the car. I'll trailer it to local car shows or take a quick blast down the street.. that's all. Since it still has slicks, spool, race motor/ trans and no wiring its not good for much else.
I ran 135's decades ago on a street car with zero problems, so I just wondered if 125's would work ok for my application?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:14:45 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:00:37 am »

I drove well worn (ask Jelle/Lowfastbus just how well worn  Roll Eyes) 125 on my 59 on a regular basis. never had the scary moments and lock ups everybody is talking about. I often drove it in wet weather as well. I only had a 1200 in it though, so no hard accelarating and needing to brake in a hurry. I probably crept through the eye of the needle when I hear all the other stories, but when driven with care it is not what it is made out to be.

Cheers,
Tim

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: