The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:44:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  tool restoration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: tool restoration  (Read 3079 times)
kingsburgphil

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:45:04 am »

Here's a tip I saw on TV.

To restore the shine to plastic screwdriver handles....Dip them in Acetone for 2 seconds, then stick them on a bar magnet.. shaft down to dry.

Obviously use acetone with caution, its not forgiving like WD-40. It's highly volatile, flammable and loves to eat paint & plastic.

On a personal note, not all screwdrivers are created equal. Test before you dip  Cheesy
Speed-Randy

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:34 am »

Is anybody really that ANAL to "restore" a scredriver?

kingsburgphil

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:22 am »

LOL...to answer your question, yes. Obviously you haven't retired yet, I won't hold that against you  Grin

By the way the same technique works on other plastic items, not just tool handles.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:27 am »

Is anybody really that ANAL to "restore" a scredriver?

Yep. Been restoring tools since I was a kid.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:33:08 pm »

I was dumping a load of stuff at the council tip a few weeks aga, and in the metal recyling container I spotted a few tools on the floor - looks like someone had emptied an old toolbox into there. I managed to swipe two Snap-On ratchets, in 1/2" and 3/8" drive, amongst other bits and pieces. They're the nice black ones, not the chrome ones that you get now. A bit of fine wire wool and WD40 and they've coem up quite nicely! Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Speed-Randy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 16:35:52 pm »

You can still get black snap-ons. They are call industrial finish, I have a few in my box.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 16:54:00 pm »

Shit! I loose them before I need to restore them. There is a black hole some where in my shop with a mother load of tape measures and screwdrivers.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
kingsburgphil

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:28:17 am »

I was dumping a load of stuff at the council tip a few weeks aga, and in the metal recyling container I spotted a few tools on the floor - looks like someone had emptied an old toolbox into there. I managed to swipe two Snap-On ratchets, in 1/2" and 3/8" drive, amongst other bits and pieces. They're the nice black ones, not the chrome ones that you get now. A bit of fine wire wool and WD40 and they've coem up quite nicely! Grin
Good score! We here in Ca. call those "indoor tools" as they get nice and toasty in the hot sun.. Grin

Quik tip for worn black finished tools: polish, degrease and dip/brush with GUN BLUE, (sporting goods store) and lightly oil. Voila!

P.S. You might want to try this on internal hardware ie. nuts,bolts,clips etc. also.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:43:40 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: