The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:41:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Powder Coating Price Check
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Powder Coating Price Check  (Read 3338 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: October 19, 2009, 15:37:41 pm »

I dropped by a local place today to see what they would charge to powder coat my 4 steel rims. To sandblast and powdercoat they wanted $60 per wheel or $240 total. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 16:09:13 pm »

Hi Louis I Would Paint the Wheels when they Powdercoat anything that has seams (such as the wheel centers) the powder dose now get in to the seam good and will have a rust ring after a few months since the powder is drawn to the part by an electric charge there is no conduction in seam areas so rust will form sooner or later, with paint is it is sprayed in to all cracks and crevasse's
I had the front clip Powdercoated on my Nova and everywhere there was a seam is started to turn Orange I had to mask off all the seams and spray them with a simi gloss paint what a pain that was....  Powdercoating is good on all seamless parts

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 16:10:53 pm »

Yeah I was thinking of painting them. It is just such a mess to do so. Easier to touch up though.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 17:02:20 pm »

You know, one of the reasons I went with steel VW rims was to keep the price down. Lets see:

$125 for four decent wide 5s + $320 to have two widened + $220 to powder coat = $665.

I should have just bought the AR torquthrusts and have been done with it.  Roll Eyes

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 17:37:31 pm »

Powder coat is not the best rust adhibitor. Take some type of zink based primer and just drinch all the seams then finish with some type of epoxy primer. Powder coating just the lazy way to get something painted. My two and 1/2 cents

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Dougy Dee

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:27:29 am »

An experienced powder coater will turn down the power or remove the ground to cover those (farraday areas), welded seams and corners.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:38:12 am »

I haven't tried it personally but, "Harbor Freight Tools" sells powder coating equipment for DIY'ers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:42:22 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 13:20:34 pm »

my brother had his sprintstars powdercoated about 2-3 years ago and they came out nice.

as for my KPZ wheels, after i got those sandblasted, i filled the seams, had 2 coats of primer applied, a black layer and a silver layer and a clear coat. i thought that they finish on them looked the part  Grin

if keeping the costs down is what you want, i'd have a silver coloured zinc paint applied.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 13:30:16 pm »

I think I am going to try painting them. I plan to run by the local PPG distributor and get a quart of white paint and see how it works. I found a place that will sand blast them for $16 each.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: