The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 13:20:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Two Lounge Members Square off in the Finals at the Texas Big Bug Shootout
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Two Lounge Members Square off in the Finals at the Texas Big Bug Shootout  (Read 4351 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: October 18, 2009, 23:11:42 pm »

Two Lounge Members Square off in the Finals at the Texas Big Bug Shootout. Congrats to Both Texas Tom and Carl Nolen They Ran Heads up in the Finals in Super Street Class Carl Just Nosed by Tom with Carl's 12:57 to Toms 12:64 @105 mph  Toms Car Ran Consistent All Day Long but was Not hooking up good with M&H Dots smoking the tires on every run he still ran a Best of 12:58 @ 105  In Complete Street Trim.  Nice Job Guys Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 15:52:06 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:37:16 am »

Not sure who this "Texas" Tom guy is that you speak of, but I'm guessing that this might be him, because he's got a cowboy hat on and everyone  from TX wears a hat & boots... Wink Grin

Congrats on the new low ET, Tom. It was great to see you and one of your cars at the track again (how about Little River Dragway next weekend??)

--Eric

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:58:08 am »

Yep Thats Tom LOL I told him he needed to Open the Sunroof so that Big 10 Gallon Hat Could Stick Out LMAO  Way To Go Tom Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:38:44 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
58vw

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:32:51 am »

congrats to you both......nice job there tom, bet that got the blood boilin for the 4" Shocked Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
carlnolen

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 14:50:45 pm »

I tell ya what, I'm flat worn out. What a weekend. We started with a tvwdra points race at Texas Raceway. I had added a lot of stuff the last month, changed out the gearbox for a taller, more 1/4 mile friendly box. Well, I didn't quite have the clutch set right and wasted the box and right axle. So, here I am bummed out with a broken car and the USS the next day. Gary Calvert walks up and offers a spare box of his nut to nut ready to go in his shop. I said "Gary, are you kidding me. We are too old for a all night-er box swap". He says "man, we can do it". So, we load back up to head to Gary's shop. Get to his house at 8:00, the old box sitting on the ground by 10, have the motor fired up by 1:00 AM, loaded on the trailer by 1:30 AM. Crash on his couch, back up by 6:30 AM. Onto the plex for USS. Thank you very much Gary. We both about killed our old asses doing it.

This is our first time for the USS here. Chad had previous plans for this weekend as this race was a rescheduled one from a rainout on Oct 4th. Chad asked me to run the show along with his friend David. Chad had done an awesome job organizing all the sponsors and stuff. A few man-0-mans here. This is sure one of the most unique things I have ever done. We had five cars sign up. One nitrous, one turbo and three NA cars. And off we go on the cruise. I really did not know what to expect on my heap. My car, basically being a drag car converted back to street, did pretty well on the cruise. I just watched the oil pressure and kept sniffing around for anything getting hot. Did just fine. We did lose one car on the cruise. His fuel pump gave it up just a short time into the cruise. So, we are down to four cars now.

Then, qualifying. I did qualify #1 with a 10.48 at 127 mph. I do not have a qualifying sheet, but two where in the 12's and one slower than that. I did have a little scare after the 1st qualifying run. We are to stop by the scales for weight after a run with min weight being 1700 c&d. I came in at 1705. Wow, too close. I will add a few pounds to be safe for the next USS. Ist round, I run Mike in his turbo bug. Mike really had not put down a good run so far. As I go through the gears, I feel a miss. Little down on power but got the win. I found a plug wire off. Man, those plug wires are very difficult to get on with a fan housing. Just hard to get good help these days with me putting thoses suckers on, lol. Final round, man, that miss is still there under power. Very supprising, the old motor had not given me any trouble for a very long time. Sneak through for the win.

It was very fun. Got to run pro tree again. My lights where in the .100 range. Good enough for me but very late for a pro. We handed out a lot of cash prizes from the sponsors. It truly was a great time. Hats off to the USE and USW for those guys who have done this several times.

Carl
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 15:20:17 pm »

Shocked Shocked zz top key rings ............... Cheesy Cheesy

congrats guys

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
60gulfvdub

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 16:14:51 pm »

Unlimited Street South was a blast yesterday.  Tom's car really rocked for a N.A  street car.  Thank you Carl for all the running around, organizing and racing.  Also thank to Chad for set it up this year, too bad you could not be there.
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 19:16:43 pm »

...Thank you Carl for all the running around, organizing and racing.  Also thank to Chad for set it up this year, too bad you could not be there.

No love for the hard working photographer, who risked life and limb hanging out car windows and dodging parts flying across the track?? That's it - I'm not posting any more pics - especially the ones of the light (Chevy) blue '60... Grin

See ya' Saturday, Manu!

--E

60gulfvdub

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 19:24:50 pm »

Still waiting for the pics, and by the way it's a GMC color, totally different....   
I think you should wear a helmet with a camera mounted on it next time your on Tom side of the track.
ugly duckling

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 00:31:54 am »

looks like good times. and respectible to with the drive and all . good job there guys. hey tom your car isnt scruffy like i like em but ya know what i like your style. looking good my freind congrats  Cool. UD . 

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 15:45:07 pm »

Wow, what a fun time! It was great to be back on the track and to see old friends! Wink
I really want to thank Chad for organizing this event and it's sponsors. I was very excited when I first heard of it and had intended on trying to make it ever since. Wish you could have been there, Chad! Thanks also to the generous prizes posted by those sponsors! Special thanks to Eric for recording everything 'on film', all the time with a constant smile, even when hanging out the side window of the lead car @ 60 mphn ... you're NUTS! Grin
Getting 2nd was prize enough (thanks to Jack @ JayCee! $50!), but Quickest & Fastest N/A was a huge surprise (thanks to Shawn Geers! $50 each!)! The icing on the cake was People's Choice ... (thanks to everyone who voted for my car!)
My hopes were for a high 12 sec. pass and not to break. I came away from the event feeling as if I won the whole thing!

Obviously the work and changes I made to the car over the past 3 weeks paid off as that was a new personal best for me. Like I told everyone, I was ready to leave after the first round of qualifying when I saw that 12.58 time slip! ... Now to find some more traction out of those tricky DOTs! Roll Eyes

I only hope this class will continue and develope into a major draw for future events. I'm in ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: