The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 08:22:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350886 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The Look and Fit of old skool headers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Look and Fit of old skool headers  (Read 16918 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: October 21, 2009, 02:40:32 am »

This is something I have been thinking about for AGES and its ones of those small but VERY important detail (to me anyhow) that will help to bring together the overall "Look" I am trying to get with PROJECT 66  Smiley

Basiclly its where the flange for the muffler/silencer sits in relation to the body work - I have been scanning LOADS of old pic's and if you take a these below you will see that on most 70's era car the Flange sits BEHIND the rear valance - now I think this looks much cleaner and will give PROJECT 66 that proper 70's look  Wink

So what your thoughts guys  Huh Who made these type of headers  Huh Does ANYONE do them these days  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
marc1951

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:46:49 am »

Well, my friend, I know one the cars you pictured has a Four Tuned (Gene Berg) header and another has S&S headers.
All the cars have a non-merged collectors and therefore fit behind the apron.
Here are a couple of pictures showing the differences between merged and non merged collectors..........higher performance or cleaner look?

That's why I'm liking the the A1 sidewinder, merged and clean look, with the collector (3rd picture)

Marc
DRA

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
kingsburgphil

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:05:13 am »

Very well explained Marc! The transition of a race part to the street scene can be somewhat profound, example. In 74' I paid $175 for a set of merged 1 5/8 headers by Chas Morse...very racy. Within a year S&S headers had a similar system on the market...half the price, no waiting.
Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:56:27 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:17:17 am »

i was about to say that too, they ran non-merged headers. but if you'd look at dave rhoads '64, chop top etc. those headers look more like the ones made today.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:13 am »

And then there's the question: Do you fit a non-merged header and have less perf, with a "proper 70's look" or do you care about your engine and will fit a decent merged header? Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:32 am »

And then there's the question: Do you fit a non-merged header and have less perf, with a "proper 70's look" or do you care about your engine and will fit a decent merged header? Wink
Decisions,decisions,but I think it's up to you Lee,because it's your car.But I agree,it's not easy.

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Peter

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:47 am »

And then there's the question: Do you fit a non-merged header and have less perf, with a "proper 70's look" or do you care about your engine and will fit a decent merged header?
the price to pay to be "period correct" Lips Sealed
Lee.C

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:52:49 am »

Well, my friend, I know one the cars you pictured has a Four Tuned (Gene Berg) header and another has S&S headers.
All the cars have a non-merged collectors and therefore fit behind the apron.
Here are a couple of pictures showing the differences between merged and non merged collectors..........higher performance or cleaner look?

That's why I'm liking the the A1 sidewinder, merged and clean look, with the collector (3rd picture)

Marc
DRA

Thanks Buddy - Very well explained, I can't believe i didn't work that one out  Roll Eyes

So I guess the next question is - Just how much difference will a NON merged header actually make  Huh  Smiley

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:19 pm »

Hi Lee,

that is a very good topic! I donīt like the way modern exhaust systems are exposed behind the car so I alway modify my headers for a good fit of the muffler.
After a little searchins in the internet I found this header which is 1 5/8" in diameter but isnīt merged or of the sidewinder type:

http://www.vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16240&cat=371&page=1

This could be the ideal base for a custom made header/muffler combination, donīt you think? Wink Maybe some engines produce more power with merged headers but if itīs just a marginal plus I would rather use an non-merged header if you donīt need a header with bigger tubing.
Bye,

Tobi
Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:21:35 pm »

Just had a thought - as far as I can make out this is a merged header BUT it looks very "shallow" ie not too far from the motor - Like a NON mereged  Undecided

Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:55 pm »

Hi Lee,

that is a very good topic! I donīt like the way modern exhaust systems are exposed behind the car so I alway modify my headers for a good fit of the muffler.
After a little searchins in the internet I found this header which is 1 5/8" in diameter but isnīt merged or of the sidewinder type:

http://www.vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16240&cat=371&page=1

This could be the ideal base for a custom made header/muffler combination, donīt you think? Wink Maybe some engines produce more power with merged headers but if itīs just a marginal plus I would rather use an non-merged header if you donīt need a header with bigger tubing.
Bye,

Tobi

I thought this one might get some interest  Wink anyway that speedshop one looks pretty cool BUT I have also been think for a while about having one Custom made  Shocked

I have watched alot of those "build a race car" and "My kit car" programms and there are a number of places in the uk that will basiclly build you ANY custom exhaust/header you want in ANY material with all the correct sizes/lengths etc - Now this might be a more expensive route but at least I can get what I want  Smiley

I was also wonder if anyone knew the maths behind working out the best diameter/primary length etc  Huh I know this is getting very technical but if I am going to do it then I might as well do it properly  Wink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:45:00 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:47:35 pm »

Lee, have a word with Rich Thomas at Turbothomas - he can make whatever exhaust you want. His jig is the back half of a beetle, with valance still in place, and a mocked up engine to make sure everything fits. Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 13:38:04 pm »

Lee, have a word with Rich Thomas at Turbothomas - he can make whatever exhaust you want. His jig is the back half of a beetle, with valance still in place, and a mocked up engine to make sure everything fits. Smiley
I
Sounds very interesting dude and sounds like he does a proper job BUT if i was to go to all this effort I would want it made on MY block/case in MY car if you get what I mean Wink

Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 14:20:46 pm »

That's cool, he's got space in his unit to do just that - I spent a couple of days there a few years back when he was building the turbo pipework for Andy Kelly's Speedster. Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jeff68

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 14:22:51 pm »

I have a 1 5/8 merged Berg 933S header on my 68 beetle and the collector is behind the valence. You can see the collector from behind the car though as the lower half of the collector flange is below the bottom edge of the valence.  If the collector was any higher I don't think you could bolt a muffler to it.
Lee.C

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 15:02:45 pm »

I have a 1 5/8 merged Berg 933S header on my 68 beetle and the collector is behind the valence. You can see the collector from behind the car though as the lower half of the collector flange is below the bottom edge of the valence.  If the collector was any higher I don't think you could bolt a muffler to it.

Hmm very interesting - is this an old or new header (ie what year?)  Smiley

richie

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 17:44:37 pm »

I was also wonder if anyone knew the maths behind working out the best diameter/primary length etc  Huh I know this is getting very technical but if I am going to do it then I might as well do it properly  Wink

Lee it is not possible,
you can work out a basic size and primary tube length bu only hours on a dyno will show you exactly what works on your engine,you need to look out for an older design merge,4tuned and S&S made what you are looking for in merged design[i personally dont like the S&S version as the colector area is quite different and prone to pulling off the tubes],Bergs also sold them,at least if you find one it will give you something to work with/from.Just for reference a good collector goes for $800/1000 here so figure your perfect system could cost $2000 plus then factor in the cost in pounds paying someone in the UK to do it and you have alot of money invested

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 17:48:33 pm »

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lee.C

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 18:10:20 pm »

Lee it is not possible,
you can work out a basic size and primary tube length bu only hours on a dyno will show you exactly what works on your engine,you need to look out for an older design merge,4tuned and S&S made what you are looking for in merged design[i personally dont like the S&S version as the colector area is quite different and prone to pulling off the tubes],Bergs also sold them,at least if you find one it will give you something to work with/from.Just for reference a good collector goes for $800/1000 here so figure your perfect system could cost $2000 plus then factor in the cost in pounds paying someone in the UK to do it and you have alot of money invested

cheers richie,uk

I see what you mean dude - I just remember hearing there was a equation involving bore/stroke/valve sive/etc but I guess nothing can make up for hours on the dyno Wink

And yes I would LOVE an original 4tuned or S&S header - but just to check are you saying THESE go for $800-1000??? Got any leads???

And again yes I would have alot of money invested but hey its only money  Cheesy

nicolas

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 20:40:10 pm »

the question is somewhat answered in the posts above this one, but just remember: Lee builds and engine with and S-P-G crank

Grin

i just read the article in the Bill Fisher book and there it states that an area that needs to be addressed in the future will no doubt be the collector. now being decades later i think it has been done and the merged header works better. that being said, Tobi is on to something and i just wanted to post an interesting experience i had as well in another post about the whole subject.  Wink

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 22:28:14 pm »

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION! Grin

thank you!

Glitter don't make you faster.
Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 22:47:21 pm »

ok guys I get the hint  Wink also most cars with Dual QPs had MERGED headers  Smiley

I do already have an original late 70's thunderbirds  header & Dual QP's but I haven't yet seen them  Roll Eyes (Mr Keene still has them Wink)

richie

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 23:23:22 pm »

No,what I was saying is that a good collector cost $800/1000 now and thats just the start of what you would need to do it properly,but as Nicolas pointed out you arent as you put a door stop in it already Cheesy

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lee.C

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 23:44:56 pm »

No,what I was saying is that a good collector cost $800/1000 now and thats just the start of what you would need to do it properly,but as Nicolas pointed out you arent as you put a door stop in it already Cheesy

cheers richie,uk

Oh ok I get ya - I think I am just gonna not worry on the "where the flange sits" things, I will wait and see what the thunderbird one looks like and then decide.

My friend Rob had one made by Gary H and its awesome looking bit of kit  Smiley I might just get him to make me one of them - Form follows function Wink

PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 00:54:36 am »

I have an old 1-5/8" type 1 merged 4 tune header without j-tubes if anyone is interested, its $100

Anthony / ISP WEST
bugnut68

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:06 am »

I have an old 1-5/8" type 1 merged 4 tune header without j-tubes if anyone is interested, its $100

Anthony / ISP WEST

How difficult would it be to obtain proper j-tubes for such a system?
Lee.C

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 03:35:21 am »

Anthony / ISP WEST

Anthony / ISP WEST

How difficult would it be to obtain proper j-tubes for such a system?

Thread jackin guys  Wink

let get back to the look and fit of oldskool headers  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:49:58 am by monkiboy » Logged

DOUG BERG

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 04:29:55 am »

ACTULLY THE "CHAS HEADER" IS WHERE YOU WANNA LOOK,,, 
                       THE ONE (PHIL "THE GRUNTCAKES"  LEADLEY) IS TALK'N 'BOUT....   
                                            CHAS BUILT DARRELLS FIAT!!!       
               WE HAVE A CHAS 1 3/4 PORCELIN COAT'D AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE!!!!
                                            ONE VERY TALENT'D PERSON!!!               
                      JOHN RUE OF PHOENIX HEADERS,,,   HIS SON IS NAMED CHAS!!!!
                                                                                                                            DOUG....
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 04:54:09 am »

Didn't Jon Rue also Work or Own 4 Tuned Doug??
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 19:44:16 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
TiDi

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 09:35:20 am »