The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:28:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Euro/UK Heads up racing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Euro/UK Heads up racing?  (Read 3719 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« on: December 11, 2009, 12:11:15 pm »

Just curious really to see what heads up racing goes on in the UK and rest of Europe (not VW exclusive)? I know of a couple of race series.... I think Martin Taylor runs in one - is that right Martin?

Many VW's enter them? What kind of times and competition is there?

Udo

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:30:26 pm »

In the UK there are the outlaw flatfour  http://www.offdrc.co.uk/  that race heads up and on every dragrace in england they have suprestreet 10,9 index. In Holland (Drachten) you can also race Superstreet 10,9 index heads up. http://www.explosiondragracing.com/

In Germany we have proet braket racing that's exciding too .http://www.proet.de/

Udo
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:36:36 pm by Udo » Logged

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:37:46 pm »

The OFF are VW only though Udo, I was thinking more just general heads up... I take it thats the Super Street series then. Anyone any idea how many (if any) VW's run in that class? I would imagine the times of some of the monsters that enter that class are nuts!

Are these street legal cars then?

Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 14:32:36 pm »

There's not really a huge amount to be honest Jamie. The problem with heads up is it's usually a case of biggest wallet wins. You need some leveller, like using the same motor as O/FF do, or a weight per cubic inch limit like Super Modified.

Super street, super gas and super comp are all index classes with 10.90, 9.90 and 8.90 dial ins. Probably closest to ET brackets, but the dial in time is given! You can still break out though, same as in bracket racing. As far as I know, no VW races in any of these classes.

Street Eliminator is heads up, but it has a 13.50 cut off, and cars must be in street trim (pump fuel, treads, etc) and the top cars are now running 7's at 180mph+. Martin runs in S/E with his '52.

Bracket classes are Sportsman ET (12.00 and slower), Pro ET (11.99 to 9.00) and Super Pro ET (8.99 and quicker), but they're still bracket, like VWDRC. Nigel Green is the only VW in Pro ET with his low 11 second 1303 (2165 with nitrous), no-one is in Super Pro, and SP/ET is entered by VWDRCers when they haven't got a round (like Euro Finals).

Comp Eliminator is a wierd one - there are dial in times depending on weight and engine size, but I don't understand the rules for that! Martin and Adele have both entered Comp Elim, alongside Russ Fellows.

O/FF is probably the best bet for heads up VW racing, but you are right in that it's not ideal if you want to race other stuff, unless you count the CHP Ashes and the general RWYB meets that we go to.

That any good to you? Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Udo

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 16:49:26 pm »

The OFF are VW only though Udo, I was thinking more just general heads up... I take it thats the Super Street series then. Anyone any idea how many (if any) VW's run in that class? I would imagine the times of some of the monsters that enter that class are nuts!

Are these street legal cars then?

If you can run 10,9 and quicker superstreet is a nice class. I did this for 10 years now and won some trophies . Now i run proet and can go as fast as i can  Cheesy

Udo

yeti

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 17:27:54 pm »

hey up jamie, they run 1 or 2 heads up series at york too, theres hotrod (which i believe they are changing the name of next year) which i think is restricted to street treads, and i believe they were looking at another street based one which would require a fully road legal car and even a few laps round the track/local area to prove the drivability of the cars entering, i know they only ran it once last year as a bit of a special event, I'm not sure if they are maybe combining the two into one for next year? theres some info on the york forums tho.

was considering running in hotrod next year alongside ace but the top cars are all running down into the 9's! so its a bit of a lost cause, although the chance to run against some cool stuff like that blown willys pickup makes me want to do it anyway!

steve
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 17:36:14 pm »

Thanks Neil/Udo & Steve... Thats quite a comprehensive list Neil! Are they all run at Shakey, or do they split rounds between tracks with Santa Pod or???

I was actually thinking about the Hot Rod class Steve, although I wouldn't be anywhere near the front of the field it still looks a heap of fun.

By the way, you still have that mid mount header? Consider selling it? Drop me a line if so....

yeti

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 18:11:40 pm »

sorry dude it went to david (fastorque) quite a while back! although i think he's using it as a patern to make a similar one for himself? so it might come back up at some point?

im gonna be running them 10" treads on mine anyway so im sorta setup for hotrod anyway! i love racing in the air cooled eliminators but its nice to race against something other than air cooled stuff sometimes too!
will see how the car behaves at easter and make my choice then!  Tongue  should be a good year at york for aircooled! lots of quick cars getting faster and some new ones to boot! and my heap! if it makes the journy  Grin

steve
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 10:13:32 am »

Thanks Neil/Udo & Steve... Thats quite a comprehensive list Neil! Are they all run at Shakey, or do they split rounds between tracks with Santa Pod or???

I was actually thinking about the Hot Rod class Steve, although I wouldn't be anywhere near the front of the field it still looks a heap of fun.

By the way, you still have that mid mount header? Consider selling it? Drop me a line if so....

No worries Jamie, they're all the MSA classes, so they're at both tracks. The other thing to do is just RWYB it against anything that happens to be in the other lane! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: