The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 18:30:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SARGE.... DKP Drag Dates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SARGE.... DKP Drag Dates?  (Read 7190 times)
deano

« on: November 17, 2009, 06:19:03 am »

Sarge, I am trying to piece a puzzle together when things happened for Deano Dyno-Soars... Can you tell me when did the DKP do Drag Days at Carlsbad? I have Sept 7, 1969 for one, but was there an eariler one? Sometime in '68? Or, was there a VW race there that wasn't a DKP deal around this time? Thanks for any leads...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 13:07:37 pm »

sept 7 1969 ,it's the  dkp 3rd national vw drag  report in dune buggies Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
deano

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 14:37:56 pm »

sept 7 1969 ,it's the  dkp 3rd national vw drag  report in dune buggies Huh

Yes, I know about that one Fabs. But since this is the 3rd, I would like to know the dates for the first and second races at Carlsbad.. dk

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 14:50:09 pm »

so nothing to do with the  previous request , but found another flyers of dkp dated march 11 .1972 , and on below the page , there's carlsbad drags on march 26.1972

Speed-Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 16:41:13 pm »

Fans, where do you come up with this stuff, holy crap!!!!!! A flyer from 40 years ago, that is dedication. Hands down, you are the KING!!

johnl

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 16:49:11 pm »

Okay, story time again, so grab your pillow and get close to the fire. Wink  Deano, I can't provide those early dates you are looking for, but I do remember way back that Rich Kugel towed my '63 with his gold '58 to Carlsbad so we could race.  I'm reasonably sure this was pre DKP and any other VW's there were from the San Diego area. Prior to leaving for Carlsbad the muffler was removed and the stinger installed and the bumpers were removed to reduce weight.  The rear and passenger seat were removed along with the spare tire and everything in the trunk.  Also we had those "welded" shocks on the front to raise it for weight transfer.  We wanted to look like the big American cars and didn't understand that it would have probably been better had we let the suspension move and do it's job.

This was a real task as Rich's car was a 36hp with an 010 distributor and those Jardine Headers and there were at least three of us in his car.  Don't think we ever got much over 50 mph while towing, but we had a great time.  Once at Carlsbad the windows were "shoe bottled" in white.  I think I left that on the car for at least a week as I drove around Anaheim.  It was really a big deal to both of us.

Don't ask the times, cause I don't remember.  This was when I was running the 40 hp with an 83 or maybe 82mm bore kit (can't remember which it was), 010 Bosch distributor, Fourtuned Header and the Judson Supercharger.  The main thing is my folks didn't know and I didn't break anything.  Great times.     Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
deano

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 17:19:56 pm »

Thanks John for the milk and cookies....

Here is why I asked about the DKP Drag Days.. I am putting together a time line for Deano Dyno-Soars, and so much happened between 1968 and 1969. Deano left Empi, and started Deano Dyno-Soars with Ken. Gene Berg came over as well. They opened the business at the Alton address, and built the first racecar. Months later, they moved to Borchard, and then Gene left. First racecar was then outdated due to the old address painted on the side of the car (Dodge van too). Eventually, this car was repainted... What I am trying to find out, is when exactly all this happened. Old photos are helping, so I am trying to establish dates for what I have so far. 80% of the photos I have seen so far are not IDed correctly, which is what I want to set straight. I have gone through the old Drag News CDs and found a wealth of information. So, the search goes on... Thanks to all.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 21:50:33 pm »

Fans, where do you come up with this stuff, holy crap!!!!!! A flyer from 40 years ago, that is dedication. Hands down, you are the KING!!
randy i don't have that stuff , it 's just a copy  that was on the lounge  Wink

fabs

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 21:53:57 pm »

deans here's what i've on the computer
 Wink

may be you know each of them

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 21:56:22 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 21:57:50 pm »

Wink
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 21:59:58 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 22:01:28 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 22:05:48 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 23:37:39 pm »

the picture of the top was taken the same day  the T on the roof was at winternationals , and look those 2 one were at the same time , different angle and note the vette behind deano's car

deano

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 23:42:14 pm »

Awesome collection of DDS pics. I wish I had some originals of those photos..... Thanks for posting as they all help piece this puzzle together.. dk

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 13:50:33 pm »

So the DynoSoar was orange first, then purple? I wondered if it was just the way that different film had aged! Embarrassed

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 15:39:11 pm »

So the DynoSoar was orange first, then purple? I wondered if it was just the way that different film had aged! Embarrassed
like this neil

Ole

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 16:01:35 pm »

What's been going on here  Huh

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
deano

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 16:24:50 pm »

That photo was taken at the 1970 US Nationals at Indy. Deano won H/Gas and moved into eliminations for Modified Eliminator, which places him against other gas class winners. In the final for all the marbles...... as the two cars staged, some idiot with a small pocket camera (guy with white pants and no hair) stepped in front of a bunch of pro photographers and all hell broke loose. They yelled at this guy to move his butt off the guard rail, and finally, someone, threw a battery pack at him. As the two cars were ready to leave the line, one pro photographer got pissed and grabbed this clown and in doing so, his false hairpiece fell off! The two guys went over the guardrail and into Deano's lane, and before they (NHRA) could stop the race, Deano got a red light. Things got out of control, and Deano lost a HUGE race because of it. Yes, they should have rerun the final, but since it was just some VW, NHRA moved on with the show and bigger fish. That final made headlines in all the magazines and newspapers.... The moral of the story is, never step in front of a photograher during a final... You might get hit with a battery pack!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 16:47:17 pm by deano » Logged

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 18:40:53 pm »

Deano, I thought you always used a pro SLR camera? Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Ole

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 19:15:38 pm »

That photo was taken at the 1970 US Nationals at Indy. Deano won H/Gas and moved into eliminations for Modified Eliminator, which places him against other gas class winners. In the final for all the marbles...... as the two cars staged, some idiot with a small pocket camera (guy with white pants and no hair) stepped in front of a bunch of pro photographers and all hell broke loose. They yelled at this guy to move his butt off the guard rail, and finally, someone, threw a battery pack at him. As the two cars were ready to leave the line, one pro photographer got pissed and grabbed this clown and in doing so, his false hairpiece fell off! The two guys went over the guardrail and into Deano's lane, and before they (NHRA) could stop the race, Deano got a red light. Things got out of control, and Deano lost a HUGE race because of it. Yes, they should have rerun the final, but since it was just some VW, NHRA moved on with the show and bigger fish. That final made headlines in all the magazines and newspapers.... The moral of the story is, never step in front of a photograher during a final... You might get hit with a battery pack!

I love these shots that tell a story. Thanks Dean for telling it to us!

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 05:26:17 am »

Thanks John for the milk and cookies....

Here is why I asked about the DKP Drag Days.. I am putting together a time line for Deano Dyno-Soars, and so much happened between 1968 and 1969. Deano left Empi, and started Deano Dyno-Soars with Ken. Gene Berg came over as well. They opened the business at the Alton address, and built the first racecar. Months later, they moved to Borchard, and then Gene left. First racecar was then outdated due to the old address painted on the side of the car (Dodge van too). Eventually, this car was repainted... What I am trying to find out, is when exactly all this happened. Old photos are helping, so I am trying to establish dates for what I have so far. 80% of the photos I have seen so far are not IDed correctly, which is what I want to set straight. I have gone through the old Drag News CDs and found a wealth of information. So, the search goes on... Thanks to all.
                                                                          Dean, Gregg Bunch might be the guy to ask. He's compiled a lot of times, dates, places, etc.

I also park at Nick's.
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 15:03:14 pm »

Sorry to get here late.  Our niece has been occupying the room with the computer in it and, well.... Roll Eyes.  At any rate, the oldest flier in my possession is this one from 1971 where we are throwing our 7th Drag Day at Carlsbad.  If we had two events a year (likely), that would put 1968 as the year things got started.  I got out of the Army in February of 1969.  From my pics, we must have had a meet shortly after from the looks of the wheels on the '63.  The '69 is shown in "action" from the October '69 event.  I remember visiting Dean's shop on Alton a time or two... the shop on Borchard became a favorite hang out.  The good old days! Cool
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 20:02:19 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
deano

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 18:22:04 pm »

Thanks for kicking your niece out of the California Look Museum. Now, back to work. Too bad you were in the Army during that time having some real fun, huh. I guess I will have to search for someone older?

It is my thinking that perhaps the first time Dean Lowry ran the Dean Dyno-Soar Bug at the drags was at a DKP drag race. I know he ran the '69 Winternationals in Jan/Feb, but I am trying to ID some of those photos from CarlsBAD to determine dates. The earliest photos of the DDS #1 car, gold in paint, show chrome wheels all the way around. Then at the Winernationals, he had the first DDS pie pans on the front....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 20:04:58 pm »

.... "I guess I will have to search for someone MUCH older?"

Where's Ron Fleming when we need him?? Grin

DKP III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: