The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:40:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Porsche 5 lug patern on type 3 drums??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Porsche 5 lug patern on type 3 drums??  (Read 18136 times)
FDK/mrpedrini

« on: November 07, 2009, 17:02:35 pm »

Hi there...

Just wondering how to put 5 lug porsche wheels (fuchs, burner...) on type 3 drums... I drive a set of 4 lug type 3 rear brakes on my '68 beetle and want to put some fuchs or burners underneath it... Is there a drum with porsche patern on sale?? redrilling 4 lug drums isn't possible, because they arent thick enough.... How do they do it?? Wink

Dennis...
Chris W

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 17:28:45 pm »

I use late Type 3 brakes and got the hubs re drilled and had studs installed in Porsche pattern. Then re drill the drum.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 18:25:33 pm »

Did you weld up the original holes in the hub? I´m solving the very same problem, don´t want to get rid of my Type 3 rears for Porsche Fuchs...
Chris W

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 18:39:58 pm »

I did not do the work, but the original holes are still there. The back of the hub was spot faced so the studs sit flat and new holes drilled.
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 20:45:31 pm »

I did not do the work, but the original holes are still there. The back of the hub was spot faced so the studs sit flat and new holes drilled.
I was thinking of doing it this way, but the hub is to thin in my opinion....
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 22:22:39 pm »

Plenty of guys have done it that way with no problems.  It may seem "weak", but it isn't.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 22:25:32 pm »

The drum is thin but the hub is thick. The studs are pressed in the hub. the drum is drill out for clearance for the studs to go through.  I have the exact same set-up for 9 years with no problems at all. Thee existing holes are still there are non functional and does not hurt anything. You do not have to weld anything. When the wheel is on, you don't see anything.

VW Classic 2012
Georg/DFL

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 00:20:03 am »

Sorry guys, redrilling the hubs sounds pretty scary to me.

Dennis, if you want to do it right then there are only three solutions: Change to beetle drums, change to discs or change to new hubs with Porsche bolt pattern and redrilled drums from Krämer Tuning in Germany. Here is the contact:

Krämer - Käfer Tuning und Motorentechnik
An den Weiden 61
57078 Siegen Deutschland
Tel: 0049-(0)271/82999
Fax:0049-(0)271/82099

I run them on my type 34 for years without any probs, but they aren't cheap. Can't remeber how much, but for nearly the same amount of money I could have got disc brakes.
Hope that helps,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Speed-Randy

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:21 am »

Get ahold of ISP west, they have the hubs already done in the pattern made from chromoly, and you can convert it to disc while your there

Georg/DFL

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 02:05:49 am »

That sounds interesting - do you have more info on them (price, what kind of discs)? Checked their website but couldn't find them.
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Chris W

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 02:24:51 am »

Russel at Old Speed can set up some 928 (I think) hubs to work with the late drums also, he recommend that if I had more HP and slicks. I would say the Type 3 hub is thicker than a drum, not positive though....
Bryan67

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 03:03:18 am »

CB has Porsche pattern hubs too.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 05:42:47 am »

That sounds interesting - do you have more info on them (price, what kind of discs)? Checked their website but couldn't find them.
Cheers,

Georg
His user name is pimppride on the lounge, his name is Anthony. He started a thread on this topic not long ago

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 08:15:33 am »

Wimp!  Wink
I think you've been brainwashed by the TÜV.  I've had redrilled Type 3 hubs on my car for 16 years.  I've never heard of anyone that's had a failure.
Georg/DFL

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 14:14:46 pm »

Wimp!  Wink
I think you've been brainwashed by the TÜV.  I've had redrilled Type 3 hubs on my car for 16 years.  I've never heard of anyone that's had a failure.

Me brainwashed by the TÜV? Cheesy Don't think so, as my car is far from beeing legal in Germany. BUT as I am a father of three kids I try to be responsible and some solutions you see in our aircooled world are just ridiculous. Especially when it comes to brakes and suspension you have to be careful. I would rather spend some more money and have parts for a safe solution.
Bruce, do you know if you were just lucky having no failure with your redrilled hubs? Did you do a ultrasonography after drilling? Do you KNOW that there are no crackings? Just a thought. You may be right, but at least I wouldn't trust on redrilled hubs.
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
Ole

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 14:41:04 pm »

I RUN them on my type 34 for years ...

Georg, redrilled hubs are absolutely safe for cars sitting in shops or on trailers... Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sorry, couldn't  resist... Roll Eyes

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 15:26:14 pm »

If you're worried about the integrity of a modified VW hub, contact Anthony at ISP for his "Race Strength" hubs. (see photos)
You will spend less for ISP hubs than I spent at FAT having my VW hubs re-drilled and nosed to fit short axles.

If you decide to re-drill, use only genuine VW hubs.

~DR.
67worshipper

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 15:31:48 pm »

ive got redrilled type 3 drum set up on the rear of jade.its all good and i dont envisage any problems.

vw hot rod heaven
Bruce

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 18:03:38 pm »

Did you do a ultrasonography after drilling? Do you KNOW that there are no crackings?
Do you think VW did that analysis when they drilled them in the first place?
Felix/DFL

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 21:12:07 pm »

Did you do a ultrasonography after drilling? Do you KNOW that there are no crackings?

No they haven`t. BUT the have spend the orig. holes some extra meat to cope with the stress.
And the new holes are far beyound. A friend of mine welded the hubs but they got way out of balance and went to scrap...

I am also a wimp and converted to 5x130 bug brakes. But then you have other issues as those tiny bug drums don`t brake that well.
So next stop disc brakes...

There is always everthing ok until something happens...
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 21:24:56 pm »

Saw some what looked to be type 3 hubs in Porsche patten 130 pcd with studs at slough today on a stall
wish I got a picture of them now  Roll Eyes

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 04:13:55 am »

The following is going to make me look like a dummy but here goes.

I never noticed a separate "hub" in my rear brakes--thought it was only a drum with the spline in the center?  Is T3 different?  Wish I had read this earlier, as I had my drums off tonight and would have looked very close.

Now that I've blown any credibility I might have had...   Undecided

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 04:49:11 am »

The following is going to make me look like a dummy but here goes.

I never noticed a separate "hub" in my rear brakes--thought it was only a drum with the spline in the center?  Is T3 different?  Wish I had read this earlier, as I had my drums off tonight and would have looked very close.

Now that I've blown any credibility I might have had...   Undecided

No prob Java,

Early T3 wide five has a one piece drum... late T3 four lug is two piece... seperate hub & drum similar to most domestic cars.

~DR
Bruce

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 05:41:37 am »

No they haven`t. BUT the have spend the orig. holes some extra meat to cope with the stress.
But there's 25% more studs holding things together.....
Georg/DFL

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:40 am »

I RUN them on my type 34 for years ...

Georg, redrilled hubs are absolutely safe for cars sitting in shops or on trailers... Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sorry, couldn't  resist... Roll Eyes

Thanks, Ole! Thank you very much!  Smiley So what is your car doing then?  Cool

But there's 25% more studs holding things together.....

This is going to be a very funny discussion!  Cheesy

Cal Look is not a crime
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 12:48:42 pm »

No prob Java,

Early T3 wide five has a one piece drum... late T3 four lug is two piece... seperate hub & drum similar to most domestic cars.

~DR

Thanks Dave.  I don't have any T3 stuff yet, so I wasn't sure what I was missing.

Sorry for the interruption guys...   Tongue

Mike H.

Sven was right.
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 20:22:50 pm »

who needs hubs?  Grin

Anthony / ISP WEST
Ole

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 20:59:39 pm »

Thanks, Ole! Thank you very much!  Smiley

De nada!  Kiss

You can always count on me when it comes to this subject... Wink Cheesy

So what is your car doing then?  Cool

Which do you mean Huh
The Bay is waiting for next season with new Engine/gearbox, the Panther is sitting there waiting for me having enough money to rebuild the engine and the '52 is in da werks... http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,10614.0.html

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 17:30:16 pm »

who needs hubs?  Grin

Anthony / ISP WEST

Redrilling is FINE, stop being pussies!

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 17:37:23 pm »

I've got rear T-3 drums drilled for 5x130 studs and alloys mounted. So far, the car drives fine for street use.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: