The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:13:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fuel Pumps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Fuel Pumps?  (Read 19625 times)
glenn

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 00:17:23 am »

I have couple questions about stock fuel pump:
Does it pump more fuel when engine rev more RPM?
When you spend 10000+USD on the engine, why still use stock fuel pump, any advantage?
Who spends $10,000 on a engine?

Why spend more for a fuel pump than you have to? I'm using the mechanical pump from my old engine. It's doing the job, 6200 miles so far, and cost me $0.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 00:36:39 am »

Why spend more for a fuel pump than you have to? I'm using the mechanical pump from my old engine. It's doing the job, 6200 miles so far, and cost me $0.

Amen to THAT. The older that I get, the more I shy away from aftermarket stuff and lean towards factory components. They last and are engineered much better. Fuel pumps for our engines, for sure, qualify in said theory.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 00:47:47 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
vwtaiwan

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 00:42:15 am »

Hi Glenn. Thank you for your answers and questions. I have a 1966 stock beetle, and lots of millage on it, and I know stock fuel pump work great!
Anyway, still have questions:
Does the stock fuel pump, pump more fuel when you rev up RPM?
What is the fuel flow rate for stock fuel pump?

glenn

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 01:14:46 am »

I have no idea.

I have no idea.

I do know unless i'm running it all out for a few minutes it keeps up with the engine. If I were racing it, i guess i'd go electric.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
neil68

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 01:18:42 am »

Hi Glenn. Thank you for your answers and questions. I have a 1966 stock beetle, and lots of millage on it, and I know stock fuel pump work great!
Anyway, still have questions:

From earlier in this thread:  "One problem with an electric pump is that it has one speed, on or off.  The stock pump is variable.  As the rpms increase, so does the delivery".

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Bruce

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 04:02:33 am »

Yes, the stock pump is variable flow.  Electric pumps are not.

why still use stock fuel pump, any advantage?
An electric pump is not necessary in all applications.  Some guys like the ease of installation.  No wiring to mess with.
Bruce

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 04:07:26 am »

PRESSURE IS MEASURED AS RESISTANCE TO THE FLOW!   If you need to ck f/p pressure, then dead-head the the pump, Otherwise ck the flow rate, Gal/Ltrs per min. Under load the floats are down and the needles and seats are open, the pressure should be low. In other words forget PSI and concentrate on flow rates (GPM) when working with a NA carb motor.
With your two carb's inlet valves, they have a fixed orifice when open.  With this fixed orifice, and a pressure reading, you have a measure of flow.  It isn't necessary to go out and find a true flow meter.
Measuring dead-head pressure is worthless.  You need to know the pressure when flowing.
vwtaiwan

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 14:25:09 pm »

Yes, the stock pump is variable flow.  Electric pumps are not.

why still use stock fuel pump, any advantage?
An electric pump is not necessary in all applications.  Some guys like the ease of installation.  No wiring to mess with.

Thank you Bruce.
Does the fuel pump spring float like valve spring when you rev the engine RPM too high? Will it cause carburator ran out of fuel  when people drive really hard.
Rasser

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 15:26:54 pm »

Electric pumps noisy?  nooooooo    Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfO_BEsGONM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KfO_BEsGONM</a>

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
glenn

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 16:06:07 pm »

That will get old real fast.. maybe 2-3 laps.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
peach_

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 17:54:52 pm »

Are you mad? Its a Race Car! our race cars run two pumps low and high Pressure pumps, Who gives a Shit how loud the Fuel Pump is when you've got a Straight cut dog box, diff wine, Induction and no sound deadening, plus your wearing ear plugs?Huh??

That video has nothing to do with the question i asked about fuel pumps and is totally off topic!

Thanks to Everyone else for there great replies, was really interesting to see other ppls thoughts, but im going to borrow a CB fuel pump from a mate for peace of mind, Slight over kill but Id kick myself if i went with the stocker and it leaned out on a long run.

cheers

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 18:41:10 pm »

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rasser

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2009, 18:48:09 pm »

Are you mad? Its a Race Car! our race cars run two pumps low and high Pressure pumps, Who gives a Shit how loud the Fuel Pump is when you've got a Straight cut dog box, diff wine, Induction and no sound deadening, plus your wearing ear plugs?Huh??

That video has nothing to do with the question i asked about fuel pumps and is totally off topic!

Thanks to Everyone else for there great replies, was really interesting to see other ppls thoughts, but im going to borrow a CB fuel pump from a mate for peace of mind, Slight over kill but Id kick myself if i went with the stocker and it leaned out on a long run.

cheers

I actually run a rotary electric fuel pump from CB. Itīs quite if you make sure to rubber mount it. You can just barely hear it with engine shut off and pump running.
I have only once experienced that the pump could not deliver (I run 8mm/AN6 from fueltank to carbs), this was when i was out testing how fast the car would go. After a looong high speed run on the highway (no crosswinds and empty late night highway) I noticed it ran leaner and leaner when getting closer to 120-130mph (I use an AFR gauge). This was without doubt caused by the fuelpump! But this is extreme conditions and I still run the same pump because that high speeds is only tried/tested ONCE. Itīs not a problem on the 1/4 mile, and not a problem in normal driving conditions (I never drive at sustained speeds above 100mph).

If you wanīt to make sure you donīt lean out, then the only way is using an AFR gauge, which I also mentioned in a previous post in this thread.
When you can hear/feel your car misfires due to a leanout caused by the fuel pump not beeing efficient enough, then you have been running lean for some time before that happened! itīs too late then!!!

Yes the video was a bit off topic, but thought it would make someone smile, and not the opposite  Undecided  sorry bout that.

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
glenn

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2009, 20:30:37 pm »

Yes the video was a bit off topic, but thought it would make someone smile, and not the opposite  Undecided  sorry bout that.
Made me smile.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Stephan S

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2009, 22:42:28 pm »

I lost the bolts for my pump.   Huh

Same here
 Smiley

I lost another Holley #12-801 fuel pump (same style as the old "red") last weekend, coming back from Orange County! Let's just say it was pretty interesting, when it happened on the freeway and I was in the third lane...

I'm done with these Holley pumps. I had this one installed just before the '08 Classic Week, after another fairly new Holley I had gave up. I guess I should have learned my lesson.

A CB Performance rotary pump is on its way. They have 2 models: 5.5lbs and, if you have a regulator (my case), 3.5lbs. I'm following Pat Down's advice and use the latter. It is also said to be MUCH quieter than the Holley pump.

Car should be running again this week. Thankfully, the fuel tank is not too full, which should make the conversion easier!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rasser

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 22:49:07 pm »

I lost the bolts for my pump.   Huh

Same here
 Smiley

I lost another Holley #12-801 fuel pump (same style as the old "red") last weekend, coming back from Orange County! Let's just say it was pretty interesting, when it happened on the freeway and I was in the third lane...

I'm done with these Holley pumps. I had this one installed just before the '08 Classic Week, after another fairly new Holley I had gave up. I guess I should have learned my lesson.

A CB Performance rotary pump is on its way. They have 2 models: 5.5lbs and, if you have a regulator (my case), 3.5lbs. I'm following Pat Down's advice and use the latter. It is also said to be MUCH quieter than the Holley pump.

Car should be running again this week. Thankfully, the fuel tank is not too full, which should make the conversion easier!

Thatīs the type Iīm running.  VERY quiet, and it has lasted 20-25000km (4 years) so far. I bought the 3.5lbs version, but now car and engine is uprated and I have regulator installed - maybe I should step up to the 5.5lbs (and then just carry the 3.5lbs in the car, just in case of pumpfailure ;-) )
What really makes a difference in how much noise it makes, is whether or not it is rubber mounted - huge difference! 
Donīt use the bracket that comes with the pump, make one yourself and rubbermount it somehow.

Good luck with your new pump.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 22:53:35 pm by Rasser » Logged

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
low oval
DKK

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 23:57:33 pm »

I just installed the 3.5 cb perf. fuel pump today. can't even hear the pump when the engine is running, and barely can hear it inside the car with out it running.  I used the bracket that came with the pump however.  I went to this after going through 3 manual fuel pumps in the last couple of years. 

"and that's when the cops showed up"
67worshipper

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 00:12:44 am »

im running a 3.5psi cb pump after the holley drove me insane.when running the holley i took the car for an mot test and the tester thought we were under attack after i switched the ignition on Shocked as the rest have said its more than enough pressure for day to day and really quiet if youve run a holley.

vw hot rod heaven
Rasser

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30:28 am »

Just thought of one thing that i really donīt like about the mechanical vw pumps - The pipes in the pump, that you connect the hoses to, can all to easily get loose. I experienced this once - a friend noticed that fuel was coming out at the pump, luckily nothing happened. I then had the exact same thing happen again later with a new (old) pump. If I were to ever use a stock pump again, then I would make sure to have the pipes soldered to the pump (sorry donīt know the correct term in english, but hope you understand me).

Has anyone else experienced that the pipes get loose at the pump, and this resulting in fuel all over the engine compartment?

Rasmus

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:07 am »

i rubber mounted my holley pump using the mercedes mounts and i guess it's not us that's under attack but my neighbours so it does dampen the sound. problem is that the mercedes mountes are about 12mm thick rubber so i'm afraid it does whobble about.

another question that came to my mind is, assuming that most people here with big engines use -6 AN fittings for the fuel system, how do you connect the CB pump which has barb fittings? if i wanted to swap the holley for the rotary pump the fittings are just too small.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 15:22:26 pm »

Just thought of one thing that i really donīt like about the mechanical vw pumps - The pipes in the pump, that you connect the hoses to, can all to easily get loose. I experienced this once - a friend noticed that fuel was coming out at the pump, luckily nothing happened. I then had the exact same thing happen again later with a new (old) pump. If I were to ever use a stock pump again, then I would make sure to have the pipes soldered to the pump (sorry donīt know the correct term in english, but hope you understand me).

Has anyone else experienced that the pipes get loose at the pump, and this resulting in fuel all over the engine compartment?

Rasmus

I've had that happen, and ruin an otherwise perfect pump! Pulled the rubber pipe off and the metal tube came straight out... Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2009, 00:55:29 am »

Rasmus

we used to get a lot of cars with black decklids on the tow hook because of this. Either that or the fuel pipe going into stock carburetor would make a run for it and you'd have Dante's inferno in no time.
My car, with Super Flow 2276 engine, 48IDAs, mag, would not run on stock fuel pipe in pan, even with Holley Pump and bigger hose on the suction side (tank to pump). On a long grade, on the freeway, it would dry float bowls if I really gave the car the full beans. I went to AN-6 line with that motor, drilled fuel inlets into carbs (where banjo bolt threads in), after trying 2.50 needles. Finally it would hold its own up the grade.
 BTW I had more than $10,000 (1991-92 dollars) in this motor. Not that I was smart....  Roll Eyes
My 2165 now runs fine on 8mm line from pressure side of pump to carbs. No more Holley regulator for me either.... I ran out of swear words for it. Went with Malpassi Filter King.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:19:38 am by The Other One » Logged
67worshipper

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50:16 am »

Electric pumps noisy?  nooooooo    Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfO_BEsGONM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KfO_BEsGONM</a>
bloody hell Shocked i thought my car was loud.at least you have an excuse for not talkin to your passengers Grin

vw hot rod heaven
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:13 am »

I wish regulators was sold with instructions.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
fredy66

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 08:20:06 am »

sorry i now this is a old topic but i was readind and the i have a quesion.
Way not have a Weber pump on Weber carbs  ??

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/editor/uploads/images/WFP502.PDF

arabia slugs
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2011, 07:39:24 am »

another question that came to my mind is, assuming that most people here with big engines use -6 AN fittings for the fuel system, how do you connect the CB pump which has barb fittings? if i wanted to swap the holley for the rotary pump the fittings are just too small.
  I would like to know the answer to this also...! Huh

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2011, 07:56:44 am »

Ha...... Cheesy.....I answered my own question...!!!!... Roll Eyes

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/100581/10002/-1?parentProductId=1167165
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:59:00 am by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Fiatdude

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2011, 23:00:54 pm »

I have couple questions about stock fuel pump:
When you spend 10000+USD on the engine, why still use stock fuel pump, any advantage?
Who spends $10,000 on a engine?

Who spends over $10K on a engine?Huh?? I do -- almost eveytime I build an engine -- unless it is a bone stocker -- And the quickest way to lose an engine -- to lean the bitch out and melt some pistons or heads -- I'm sorry if I want to spend a little extra to have what I think is something a little better.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I would like to add one thing -- the reason why there is such a high failure rate for the holly pumps is that they are very over rated for our "little" engines -- they build up heat because no fuel is going through them to keep them cool. If you want one to live you should put a by-pass regulator and return line in your system so that fuel is constantly cycling/flowing through the pump.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 23:29:25 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: