The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:09:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  I'm searching for a car I built almost 30 years ago
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: I'm searching for a car I built almost 30 years ago  (Read 30189 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 22:51:41 pm »

Nice red '67 Mike, only read articles about the car, but I have to say it is on the list of my Top 5 cool hot rodded VW's (being a '67 helps). See you around,

Jim Ratto
Sarge

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 00:52:16 am »

.... and now, back to the other red '67 Grin  Who influenced who, here??

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9250.0.html

DKP III
delux67

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 04:49:18 am »

FYI for those interested. The DELUX was featured in two VW magazines. The first publication was the March 1981 issue of VW Trends magazine and the other was the April 1981 issue of VW & Porsche Magazine. Both articles were written and photographed by Jere Alhadeff. Why Hot VW's never ran an article was always a mystery to me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:51:29 am by delux67 » Logged
delux67

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 05:20:40 am »

"Some like it hot but I like it red!"
Right Sarge?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vavZ25wM6W0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vavZ25wM6W0</a>

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:28:36 am by delux67 » Logged
deano

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 05:42:57 am »

FYI for those interested. The DELUX was featured in two VW magazines. The first publication was the March 1981 issue of VW Trends magazine and the other was the April 1981 issue of VW & Porsche Magazine. Both articles were written and photographed by Jere Alhadeff. Why Hot VW's never ran an article was always a mystery to me.

Mike, I can answer that question. As you insisted that your car be on the cover or not at all. VW & Porsche promised you the cover, (but in the end, only gave you only a window-in). You and Jere went with that magazine, and since our policy at the time was not to run a car that was already featured in another VW publication, we did not feature it. Looking back, our loss perhaps, as it was certainly the best car around. But at that time, off-road was a bigger seller for Hot VWs than street cars. So, things didn't work out in your favor it guess. Jere did a great job on your car as usual. Classic photos.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
delux67

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:17 am »

You know what, that is new news. I don't recall a conversation with anybody but Jere. And the answer I got, the answer I remember was, I don't know why they won't run you (they being Hot VW's). If I had a conversation with anyone besides Jere I am completely blank, no recollection. I was 23 years old and not exactly comfortable approaching a publication on my own. It's true I would have liked the cover but I wasn't sophisticated enough to be making stipulations.
In the end I just chalked it up to oh well, darn, that's disappointing. And that is how I feel about it now except I'm no longer feeling disappointed just surprised by the news. Hmm A long time ago. But you are right, very right Jere did a fabulous job, terrific photos, great articles, great memories.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:45:24 am by delux67 » Logged
nicolas

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 07:16:23 am »

built it agian, no doubt it is still cover worthy material  Tongue
deano

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 16:31:23 pm »

You know what, that is new news. I don't recall a conversation with anybody but Jere. And the answer I got, the answer I remember was, I don't know why they won't run you (they being Hot VW's). If I had a conversation with anyone besides Jere I am completely blank, no recollection. I was 23 years old and not exactly comfortable approaching a publication on my own. It's true I would have liked the cover but I wasn't sophisticated enough to be making stipulations.
In the end I just chalked it up to oh well, darn, that's disappointing. And that is how I feel about it now except I'm no longer feeling disappointed just surprised by the news. Hmm A long time ago. But you are right, very right Jere did a fabulous job, terrific photos, great articles, great memories.

Mike, there is another possibility as well. Jere was the one that insisted on the cover.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 17:07:07 pm »

now ask jere to see if he still have those camera films  Roll Eyes , you have found yours with IPII in 91 after 20years ,  Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Dave Galassi

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 18:57:26 pm »

Mike, you have a pm.

delux67

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 19:46:26 pm »

Well Deano, its water way, way under the bridge. Whatever happened I'm sure that the best of intentions were considered. At this point that's all that matters.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 18:11:41 pm »

Wink

Jim LoGudice

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 21:10:41 pm »

.... and now, back to the other red '67 Grin  Who influenced who, here??

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9250.0.html
Hi guys,

I sure wish I had put late 7's on the rear of mine, they really looked great on Mikes car.

Here is the latest that I have found out about Mikes car;  I spoke to Rich Kimball 4 days ago to see if he remembered anymore about the car.  He received Mikes car from Marv Hendricks in trade for monies that Marv owed him.  Rich had it for awhile at his shop, (bugs 4 U) and sold it to a kid in Riverside, (as I stated in an earlier thread) and Rich said that he thought that the kid crashed the car and it was sold off in pieces.  I hope that Rich is wrong but maybe that is why we haven't heard of it in all these years.

Mike give Kimball a yell.

Regards,
Jim

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 23:45:38 pm »

Can you guys in Cali look up the registration or the VIN with the DMV?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 00:53:08 am »

I did sugest this a the other threads but no one replied  Undecided Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 01:16:32 am »

I wonder if Mike still remembers the VIN number?  Maybe check the personalized plate?  As I remember though in CA, only law enforcement can run VIN's and plates, (so thieves cannot see who owns the car and where it resides and go steal it) , maybe I'm wrong but it's worth asking. Cheesy

Regards,
Jim 

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 03:52:31 am »

I did sugest this a the other threads but no one replied  Undecided Smiley

They didn't understand your accent Lee.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
deano

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 04:32:44 am »

California is super sticky about giving out vehicle owner information, unless you are a dealer or ?. I know that T-3 Dave ran the last plate shown, and it came up no-go. Which only means that it could be in another state, or just no longer on the books (Non-Op status).

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
delux67

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2009, 04:59:33 am »

Regarding the thread response made by Jim LoGudice about the DELUX perhaps being wrecked. I think I met the kid that bought the car from RKimball. This guy shows up at my place in Ontario out of no where. Says he found me through my VW buddies. He wanted only me to figure out what was wrong with the way it was running. Ron Fleming gave me a set of old EMPI (but new condition) intake manifolds. The car was running like it had a vacuum leak. It did, the left manifold was broken at the base. I couldn't believe the car was drivable the carb was flopping from side to side so bad.
This was the last time I saw the car and it was about 1985. To the best of my memory the car was as I sold it to Marv Hendricks.
The thought of it being wrecked and parted out is sickening. One thing though. The car had relatively high visibility among the VW folks. If the car were wrecked and or parted out you would think there would be more information on it. The parts themselves were highly identifiable. For example the Berg 5 Speed with polished case ribs and chrome axle tubes etc etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:01:50 am by delux67 » Logged
bilboa2

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2009, 05:18:57 am »

mike, I sure do hope you find some breaking news on the delux67. You did an excellent job on it. Alot of us wish we still had our cars from back then. Here's hoping you start another car. I did, still not as nice as yours but you would have a ton of support on your project. bilboa
delux67

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2009, 05:47:26 am »

Bill
I was just talking to my wife about the viability of a new project car. There are many, many considerations. We'll just have to wait and see if it is in the big picture or not.
I'm stumped however about the year your car is. Guess I'm a bit rusty. Littlle help? Real nice looking machine. Tell a little bit about it.
Mike
bilboa2

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2009, 06:42:38 am »

mike, car is a european 65, original bahama blue color. Have had a few engines.tranny combos in it, from race gas 2332/close ratio 4 speed to newest 2442 pump gas with berg 5 speed w/zf . Disc brake front, polished 356 b drums in back.Car is now having rear apron being made removalbe with pee shooter holes filled.Engine compartment going through rehab trying new ideas on oil breather tank and other eng compartment looks.Thanks to now local, danny at gab-fab.I am sure anything you build will be top shelf..Keep up the "dkp blood"  p.s.  you knowing me as a partsman and a challenged tech, I built and dynoed the motor !!. 182 hp w/belt and muff at 4800 alt.(lotsa help for sure).  do it...bill
Lee.C

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 02:43:43 am »

Regarding the thread response made by Jim LoGudice about the DELUX perhaps being wrecked. I think I met the kid that bought the car from RKimball. This guy shows up at my place in Ontario out of no where. Says he found me through my VW buddies. He wanted only me to figure out what was wrong with the way it was running. Ron Fleming gave me a set of old EMPI (but new condition) intake manifolds. The car was running like it had a vacuum leak. It did, the left manifold was broken at the base. I couldn't believe the car was drivable the carb was flopping from side to side so bad.
This was the last time I saw the car and it was about 1985. To the best of my memory the car was as I sold it to Marv Hendricks.
The thought of it being wrecked and parted out is sickening. One thing though. The car had relatively high visibility among the VW folks. If the car were wrecked and or parted out you would think there would be more information on it. The parts themselves were highly identifiable. For example the Berg 5 Speed with polished case ribs and chrome axle tubes etc etc.

Dont loose heart mike - I have heard the "brought it - wrecked it - broke it for parts" story about SOOOOOO many cars  Roll Eyes

Do you remember the kids name that came to see you  Huh what did he do about the broken manifold Huh

P.s did you get my pm Smiley

delux67

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 00:07:55 am »

No I don't remember the kids name but I remember the day clear enough. I couldn't do anything about the manifold but the thing was hanging together enough for the carb linkage to hang together for a short drive. After he left I have no idea what he did to fix it. New set of manifolds was the only thing that could've fixed it.
I did get your PM, thanks. If that rear quarter shot of the car impacted you that strongly, wait till I get some pictures together and get some of them posted. I have images of the car before I took it apart, during the rebuild and of course after. I just have to un-bury them. My wife buried them in a closet somewhere.
I hope you're right about the rumors. Time will tell...maybe.
MB
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 03:45:08 am »

wait till I get some pictures together and get some of them posted. I have images of the car before I took it apart, during the rebuild and of course after. I just have to un-bury them. My wife buried them in a closet somewhere.

MB

that will be cool and apreciate mike

rgd
fabs

Lee.C

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 23:06:46 pm »

No I don't remember the kids name but I remember the day clear enough. I couldn't do anything about the manifold but the thing was hanging together enough for the carb linkage to hang together for a short drive. After he left I have no idea what he did to fix it. New set of manifolds was the only thing that could've fixed it.
I did get your PM, thanks. If that rear quarter shot of the car impacted you that strongly, wait till I get some pictures together and get some of them posted. I have images of the car before I took it apart, during the rebuild and of course after. I just have to un-bury them. My wife buried them in a closet somewhere.
I hope you're right about the rumors. Time will tell...maybe.
MB

Still cool to hear the story dude - don't you just wish you'd taken his number  Roll Eyes Wink

I can't wait to see ALL the pic's - trust me this is EXACTLY what us here on the lounge have been waiting for  Wink Grin

P.s you given me a few more little deatil ideas already!

delux67

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 05:08:52 am »

This is a great shot of the Delux 67 before it was Deluxe. This image was taken by Mike Dunphy at the 1/8 mile drags at Jack Murphy stadium in San Diego around 1978. The motor was a 69X87.5 (1641CC), engle 120 cam, twin 42 IDA's carbs a power pulley and short throw shifter ( forgot the brand name but it had a black T handle). Most everything else was stock. Imagine my amazement as I was blowing this Vet in the weeds. He killed the engine at the tree and had to re-start. This image was taken just before he blew by me at about 120 mph but I think the picture is very cool. I've told many a tall tale with this photo. LOts of fun pulling peoples legs with this one.

I figured this image would entertain.

I've found some good pictures. I'll begin posting some soon. I thought chronological order might be interesting.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:52:21 am by delux67 » Logged
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2009, 05:24:58 am »

Hi Mike

Nice to hear from you it has been a long time for sure. Glad that you are looking for your car I think that as we get older we all dream someday to find our first  Cal Looker. Mike if you
have the VIN # and nobody can help let me know I can search  it for you. Let me know

See ya
   Frenchy Dehoux

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
delux67

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2009, 05:35:32 am »

Hi Frenchy,
The last thing I remember about you was that you drove an oval ( or was it a split) window from Sunnymeade to Los Angeles (or something like that) everyday for work. I was much impressed by your commitment to your job and willingness to make that drive.
I don't have the VIN number. Unless I can find it in an old photo or something I think I'm out of luck on that search option.
Thanks for the offer.
MB
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2009, 05:44:04 am »

I drove my 1951 split window that was owned by Shaky Jake back in the days and drove it 72 miles one way from Rialto to Long Beach everyday for 6 years. I now live in Tempe Arizona for the last 15 years. Mike again if you locate a VIN # I am sure I can help. On the other hand my old 1967 Yellow Karman Ghia is in JAPAN.

Take care
   Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: