The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 15:09:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Oldschool turbo setup !?!? Any Informations needed !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Oldschool turbo setup !?!? Any Informations needed !  (Read 30295 times)
Carsten

« on: November 23, 2009, 09:02:39 am »

I am loking for any informations on oldschool turbo setups for a 1600cc engine (maybe go to 1641) , with turbos like schwitzer S1 or Airresearch , with a Weber Carb or Amal (?) , like the ones been made in the 70`s and 80`s . I found some pics , but not very much informations...
So , one other question  , are all the Schwitzer S1 turbos the same ?
So any informations and pics and links and so on would be a great help ! Want to build something "period" for my car as a starter and spare engine , before my other car is sold and i can go in the "big business" ;-)
Thanks , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:30 am »

Hi there. I have a complete new old stock 1970's Rayjay turbo kit for a 1600 - 1776cc Bug for sale. It has everything you need: n.o.s. Weber carb, nos Rayjay turbo, nos Rayjay wastegate, nos Rayjay inlet manifold, nos VDO gauges, nos boost and oil hoses, nos exhaust header and exhaust pipe. All gaskets, hose clamps are all nos, too.

I will post some pictures soon. Regards, matt

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:08:14 am »

I had a play with a turbo a while ago, using my little 1600. I used a turbo off a 1980's Mitsubishi Lancer engine I found in the corner of a friends yard, a homemade header and intake manifold, a 40DCOE Weber and a boost sensitive fuel regulator from CB. I retarded the timing by turning the distributor back and that was the problem - although the advance was correct at higher revs, it was a pig to start and took ages to come onto boost because of the severely retarded timing. Think I ran an 18.4 at 80+mph at a RWYB - previously I'd been running 16.2's at 78ish mph with the same motor with 36 DRLAs. It wasn't until I'd taken it all off that I read an article in VW Trends that said about bending the stops inside an 009 dizzy to stop it advancing at 24degrees without affecting low speed running.

Matt, you want to write down all the specs of that turbo setup, it'll be quite useful!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
JamieL

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 15:36:22 pm »

Boost retard...?

Pah - 1bar + high octane fuel and 32 degrees worked fine on the fugitive!

The Ghia engine also ran up to 32BTDC on pump fuel at over 1bar, but that had a funky cunning ignition map - you gotta love 3D mapping... Wink
Carsten

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 20:04:19 pm »

Just want to go the oldschool way for playing around a little ;-) Went 11`s and 12`s with the car some years back.... Something bigger will come when (if) my Oldsmobile is sold , if it is not going to the strip next year...Should be able to run on the street like a normal street bug and i want to go a different way than all the others her in germany !
so i hope for more infos and pics....please!!!!!
Greets , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
JamieL

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 23:07:51 pm »

Hi Carsten,
Sorry for the off-topic remarks, what Neil said just struck a chord...

Anyway - good luck with your search - iirc, they were some references to early turbocharging efforts (and maybe pics) in Bill Fisher's now infamous "How to Hotrod..." book. My copy is stashed away just now, but someone else may have a copy to hand that can help...?
sam P

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 23:01:27 pm »

Hi Carsten,
Are you looking for a complete 70's-80's turbokit, or are you planning to build something yourself? I would love to see some more pics of nostalgia turbo-engines. I like the idea of the amal carburetor.  Cool

I built this system for my 1915 using a garret T3 of an 80's 2.3l chrysler and a 40 dellorto.

Are you using a stock engine? For a 1600 turbo if you use a cam like engle 110 and some nice heads with slightly bigger valves and a good clean-up on the ports, I'd look for a turbo of an 1.8l -1.9l production car.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Carsten

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:47:14 am »

Hi Carsten,
Are you looking for a complete 70's-80's turbokit, or are you planning to build something yourself? I would love to see some more pics of nostalgia turbo-engines. I like the idea of the amal carburetor.  Cool

I built this system for my 1915 using a garret T3 of an 80's 2.3l chrysler and a 40 dellorto.

Are you using a stock engine? For a 1600 turbo if you use a cam like engle 110 and some nice heads with slightly bigger valves and a good clean-up on the ports, I'd look for a turbo of an 1.8l -1.9l production car.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

What i see on the pic , is somehow what i am looking for and try to do... Do you have it in your car ? Does it work ? Any more tech informations on your engine ?
I get a stock 1600 cc next week , which i will open and check and rebuild.. Maybe go 1641 do a little porting and balancing and so on.
I found some information which turbo will be good , maybe use a Garrett T3 or T25 or a Schwitzer S1 . Easy way would be to get a turbo header and intake for a Weber carb and build the rest around it. A complete or allmost complete kit would be ok , too. Lets wait and see. The whole should be a low budget thing , horesepower is not that important , more important is every day use should be somehow possible.
Ok , it would be much more easier to buy a complete kit , for example from lowbugget , incl. all the stuff i need , but it is not that oldschool and i like the look of a Weber carb turbo setup :-)
Greets , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:30:55 am »

you're looking after something like this Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Carsten

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 11:35:19 am »

YES ! That is the way i will trie to do it ! have you got some more informations ?
Greets , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

That Rayjay setup Martin has is about as period perfect as you can get, and the turbo's are as tough as old boots... I ran one earlier in the year and it was ancient, but did what it said on the tin Wink

Then I got my T04 from JamieL which works great.

Carsten

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:16:43 pm »

That Rayjay setup Martin has is about as period perfect as you can get, and the turbo's are as tough as old boots... I ran one earlier in the year and it was ancient, but did what it said on the tin Wink

Martin ?? Who is that ? I wait for an answer and pics of matt , but maybe mat is martin Huh ;-)

Greets , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 15:25:11 pm »

Martin ?? Who is that ? I wait for an answer and pics of matt , but maybe mat is martin Huh ;-)

Greets , Carsten
no it's 65 goldturbo  Wink aka muffler marts  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 20:05:32 pm »

HI Carsten

Jamie(kaferboy) has got it wrong Matt(All Torque) is the one with the Rayjay setup not me. Grin

As Jamie has said the Rayjay setup will be as period perfect as you can get and will work great.

Hahaha your killing me.........
JamieL

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 20:15:52 pm »

A little .42/.48 A/R T3 will work on a 1600 with a little carb - for which there are loads of options...

40DCOE/DHLA drawthrough with 24mm vents - as on Panic Attack buggy
Or blowthrough whatever you fancy - stock Solex or Renault 5 turbo or....?
Or drawthru a 1.5" SU as Volksnut did in the states...
Or a small 2 barrel Holley like AJ Simms...
My first turbo engine used mechanical Bosch K-Jet with a Mitsubishi TE05-12B turbo in draw-thru config (similar to Russ Fellows original motor using some of his old parts in fact)
But thats kind of modern-old-school...  Undecided
JamieL

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 20:21:41 pm »

Carsten,

Check out http://volksnut.com/ for some old school pics and info...

NB - there isn't meant to be a www at the front

Some especially good bits here: http://volksnut.com/?page_id=5
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 20:29:30 pm by JamieL » Logged
Carsten

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 20:31:28 pm »

A little .42/.48 A/R T3 will work on a 1600 with a little carb - for which there are loads of options...

40DCOE/DHLA drawthrough with 24mm vents - as on Panic Attack buggy
Or blowthrough whatever you fancy - stock Solex or Renault 5 turbo or....?
Or drawthru a 1.5" SU as Volksnut did in the states...
Or a small 2 barrel Holley like AJ Simms...
My first turbo engine used mechanical Bosch K-Jet with a Mitsubishi TE05-12B turbo in draw-thru config (similar to Russ Fellows original motor using some of his old parts in fact)
But thats kind of modern-old-school...  Undecided
Or take a SU hif 44 Carb from a metro turbo engine blowthrough....
But my prob on build it myself is , that i do not know which turbos i can use , because of the seals , so if it can handle drawthrough ( carb before turbo ) HuhHuhHuh??

1969 IRS bug
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 08:55:23 am »

Sorry for the confusion Matt, Mart & Carsten - for some reason I thought Matt's post was by Martin Taylor.... it had been a long day  Cheesy Wink

I was just reading an old issue of Volksworld from 1992 featuring Dave Perkins blue 66 - that thing ran a rayjay turbo into the nines in a floorpanned bug....

For the old school look Carsten really you'd have to go draw through - just my opinion.... I'm not saying its necessarily better though.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 09:09:34 am »

Here's a couple of pictures of the Rayjay setup I used to run.

volksnut

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 14:12:53 pm »

JamieL, look up Brian F  BFye@canyonville.net  last I heard he still owned the Bernie Bergmann kit I had sold him for sale, it was from the 80's...here it was installed on my car
sam P

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 18:18:43 pm »

Hey Carsten, if you want something affordable to drive around while you're building your big engine, i'd definately go with a complete kit. Building a system yourself  may look cheap in the beginning, but it is a lot of work, takes time; trial and error, and it can easily get out of hand.

Did you try that Jamie? I had one of those on a stock 1600, it was just slightly faster, but it didn't really make any boost. It's good for my 1915 though.

Thanks for those shots of Insanity, Fabian! I was hoping you'd post that. Do you have any more info of that car?
Any engine shots/info on Bob McClure's Little Leroy perhaps?   Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 19:14:15 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 19:15:30 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 19:16:34 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 19:17:38 pm »

Wink

Carsten

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 19:51:10 pm »

HO !!!! Thank you very very much for all that help , pics and infos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin !
One more question , the Rajay turbo looks allmost the sam like a Schwitzer S1 turbo , i found som infos , that a S1 will be able to be used for such a syszem !?  Anyone knowes something about that ?
Ok , a complete  kit would be the best , i know , but the last one for sale was so long ago , that i did not know when it was... And it was not in europe.... ;-)

Plan B which i thought about , is getting me a header , maybe a Schwitzer S1 from a Deutz engine , and a 40 DCOE Weber carb. T pipe is not a problem....

Next plan , buy a cit from lowbugget...!?!?

Or wait for the next kit which is for sale.....

Greets , Carsten 

1969 IRS bug
JamieL

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 20:41:17 pm »

Did you try that Jamie? I had one of those on a stock 1600, it was just slightly faster, but it didn't really make any boost. It's good for my 1915 though.

Not personally, but I hear what you're saying - many others have been successful though and, from my research, the key to success is generating good exhaust gas flow/velocity using small valves, a small diameter header with NO leaks, low duration cam (stock or maybe Engle 100/110) and a small carb - also don't retard the ignition until you make boost...

You can also definitely get a carbon seal for a T3 for drawthru...

Plus, as you say, the same turbo will also work on bigger engines too - a friend over here had great success and reliability with a 2276 T3 40DCOE draw-thru motor. IMHO probably because the turbo was undersized and a limiting factor, but it worked a treat!
Carsten

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 14:02:53 pm »

After som little more research , i think what coul help me is a book !

TURBOMANIA :-)

So, anyone out there here in europe or wherever , that has this book up for sale or as pdf ? Ok , can buy it new at cb , but shipping costs are too high...

What do you think ?

Greets , Carsten

1969 IRS bug
jyri eramaa

no cuts - no glory

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 19:18:44 pm »

here´s my contribution.

a kawell turbo setup, made for a 300 hp 1600 cc engine.
now sitting on top of a 2332cc...

coming to my black KG  Roll Eyes

http://volkswanker.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 19:25:42 pm by jyri eramaa » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 21:54:07 pm »

here's some old drag turbo engine , f you want more info let me know and i will post the report
 Wink
fabs

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: