the 40mm 12 sec black '67.. Dave Conklin thread....

(1/17) > >>

Jim Ratto:
How about some talk and pics of Dave's black Euro '67...   I was stunned how fast this car went on 40mm heads @ Carlsbad when he brought it out.
If I recall, Dave it was a 2276 with some compresh, K8 and those magic Primo heads....
Tell us more about your car.
 8)
Jim

Brandon Sinclair:
That engine in that car was sweet.  I remember the threads on the old CLF talking about the engine-everyone liked to give Dave a hard time for the small valved heads.  I think it had some funky jetting too like 150 mains and 150 airs with 40 vents, but the numbers didn't lie!

Zach Gomulka:
Quote from: Brandon Sinclair on November 25, 2009, 19:42:22 pm

That engine in that car was sweet.  I remember the threads on the old CLF talking about the engine-everyone liked to give Dave a hard time for the small valved heads.  I think it had some funky jetting too like 150 mains and 150 airs with 40 vents, but the numbers didn't lie!

Did you smell something?? ;)

Cornpanzer:
awww, shucks  ::)

I have never given the black car a name, but she has been a good little beast.  I will need to scan some photos from when I bought her.

Interestingly, I still have those heads on the car.  High 10's with 40mm valves.  hehehe

When we were building the car, I was on a very tight budget.  I built the 2276 with a Demello welded crank and a set of Rimco super rods.  Eventually, the crank cracked, but it held up to a lot of abuse.  The heads belonged to a friend that used them for a few years on his race car.  They were old 041 castings with a mild "D" port (unwelded) and 40mm intake / 37 mm exhaust.  Cam has always been an FK-8 with Berg rockers.  Compression was set at just under 10:1 and it did great on the 94 octane gas that we have.
The box was pretty simple with a super beetle mainshaft and 1.48 third and 1.14 fourth.  Car would cruise down the highway just fine at about 4000 rpm.

This was all going on during the height of the DKP era of the late 90's and I used to pick Jim Kaforski's brain about transmission combos and the like.  One day I asked Jim if he thougt I could get the car into the 13's with that combo.  His answer was ' not likely with those small heads'.   ;D

First time to the track was on recapped slicks and the heavy Americans.  First pass, the car pulled hard all the way into fourth and then went flat and nosed over.  Hmmm...weird.  Time slip was a 13.51 though!   :D  (turns out that the fuel vent was plugged and I was sucking the float bowls dry)

Never really made any major changes to get the car down to the low 12s aside from seat time and little tweaks (and slicks of course).  I tried to pull as much weight out of the car as possible when I went to the track in an effort to save the trans and shave hundreths off the time slip.

The car eventually ran high 12.30's on pure pump gas on a 90+ degree day at my local track.  Meanwhile, there were three "friends" who were participating in the Renn Kafer Cup class heavily and one spring, all of them mysteriously picked up 2-3 tenths with no changes to the cars.  Propelyene Oxide had been discovered by the Cal-Look world.  Pretty soon, myself and another Cornpanzer (who will remain un-named) started experimenting with the stuff and found with some jetting changes we could pick up a few tenths.  Eventually I had it down into the 12.20's with the fuel juiced.

Carlsbad was very frustrating.  At home, the car would rip off 1.58 sixty foots on a good day and my 12.20 pass at Cbad was a 1.64.  6 hund on the start is probably a tenth and a half at the big end, so I really think that the car would have been deep in the 12.0's if I could have got traction.  Without a doubt, it could have run in the3 12.20's at sea level Cbad on pump gas with everything else being perfect.

I still have everything to take it back to N/A when I decide it is time.  That is a great combo.  brutal throttle response and yet still VERY street drivable.  

Cornpanzer:
Quote from: Zach Gomulka on November 25, 2009, 20:05:34 pm

Quote from: Brandon Sinclair on November 25, 2009, 19:42:22 pm

Did you smell something?? ;)

hey, I got a bum rap for that  ;D  You really think that some guy from Ohio figured that out?  I was just the only guy who admitted playing with the nasty stuff!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page