The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:25:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Nitrous
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nitrous  (Read 2801 times)
Christofe

« on: December 05, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »

Guys,

I'm considering the option of going for Nitrous for next season.

To be honest I don't have a lot of experience in that type of things and I know some of you out here does well !

Therefore I would need your help for the following points :

1/ Wich kit to buy for a beetle ? (100 HP KIT).

2/ What needs to be mounted specifically for nitrous ? second fuel pump ? second fuel line ?

3/ any advise from those using nitrous, what to do and not to do !

3/ my engine is 1915, 48 IDA, 170 hp, 9,5 CR.

Any advise and detailled pictured welcome

Thanks for your help and advise

C
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 13:18:16 pm »

try blackbomber here  Roll Eyes..................... Cheesy

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
richie

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 18:59:24 pm »

50hp should get you about a econd off your 1/4 mile time,start off around there,no more as it can be a steep learning curve if you ge to gready,get a kit that takes jets to adjust the nitrous/fuel ratio and allows you to add more later,you need a 2nd pump and fuel system in most cases,although with my EFI I just used one system.
I also like to use a progressive controller,it helps keep things smooth and will be less likely to damage parts this way.
Read lots,there is some good info here

http://ultimateaircooled.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=26.0

and here

http://www.noswizard.com/

I used a noswizard kit[it was called highpower then] in my car with great results but the looks arent to some peoples taste  Roll Eyes 

If you think you are buying a bargain 2nd hand,beware there were some versions from NOS in the states that had some major problems a couple of years ago and they are sold very cheap,but they are flawed so avoid Smiley

And just to give you an idea of what it can do,my cabrio ran 13.27 best off the bottle and 10.88 best with it,driving it to and from the track with no problems,

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
n2o

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 19:32:59 pm »

There is 5 important things to respect when spraying your car:
-Fuelpressure
-Fuelpressure
-Fulepressure
-Nospressure
-Ignition

Do not buy a "tiny kit". Buy a bigboy-kit and tune it down instead. I find that safer...

Cheesy
Good luck

9.88 @ 134.25 mph
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 20:42:02 pm »

I've considered the same at different times, but have yet to implement.

My co-worker is the crew-chief for a 10.5 team and knows quite a bit through much experience.
They use only one huge pump to run the engine and nitrous system for the simple reason that if the nitrous pump fails ... junk!

Good luck with it! I know it's fun!

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
carlnolen

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:16:50 am »

I've considered the same at different times, but have yet to implement.

My co-worker is the crew-chief for a 10.5 team and knows quite a bit through much experience.
They use only one huge pump to run the engine and nitrous system for the simple reason that if the nitrous pump fails ... junk!

Good luck with it! I know it's fun!

Come on Tom, try it--you'll like it. Look foward to mixing it up with ya again in 2010. I love the stuff and my car likes it too, lol.

Guys,

I'm considering the option of going for Nitrous for next season.

To be honest I don't have a lot of experience in that type of things and I know some of you out here does well !

Therefore I would need your help for the following points :

1/ Wich kit to buy for a beetle ? (100 HP KIT).

2/ What needs to be mounted specifically for nitrous ? second fuel pump ? second fuel line ?

3/ any advise from those using nitrous, what to do and not to do !

3/ my engine is 1915, 48 IDA, 170 hp, 9,5 CR.

Any advise and detailled pictured welcome

Thanks for your help and advise

C

1)NOS does build a nice kit with four soleniods for our cars. I built my own system with NOS and other parts.

2)I do run a seperate fuel system with another pump with return line. I also run a MSD retard box when the system is activated.

3)Advise??? Reseach anything to do with nitrous and talk to as many racers as you can who has run juice on VW's. I researched nitrous for a couple of years and worked with a vw nitrous drag car for a year before installing it on my car. Lots of good info on the net.

4)Your motor needs to be strong enough to handle the horsepower you think you will make. You should be able to hit a 1914 with a 100 shot easily.

I've been running juice for 4 years now. Not an expert by any means but got a good handle on it most of the time. My car runs 10.50/6.60 . I run about a 90 shot on mine with a 2276. My motor makes about 210 on the motor and around 300 on the juice. Warning, once you go power adder, turbo or juice, there is no going back.

Carl
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: