The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 18:59:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Corally's 1678 cc engine project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Corally's 1678 cc engine project  (Read 17103 times)
Simpsonshoe

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 00:24:22 am »

It appears you are trying to use the "slip in" 88 setup... BAD IDEA... I know i will hear from some that use 1641 combo and love it... however, in my estimation, and that of thousands.. 87s are junk and 88 are worse.. we are NOT talking "machine in" 88s.. they are,perhaps the best of any setup currently available...But, while you have the case apart, build a 1678 machine in,a 1776 or 1915..... you will enjoy it SOOOOO much more. like others have said, bite the bullet now and build it right the first time, so you can build it bigger later... Otherwise .. cheaping out on a performance VW will have you crying more than driving.A stock 1500 will run for years with a broken crank, but adding RPM, spring rates, and horsepower WILL find that weak link...Expensive noises are never a joy. Good luck.
Corally

Drive it like it's stolen!

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 22:23:00 pm »

About the 88 slip in's. Do you have any experience using them? Most of those ' thousands' haven't. So you're opinion (if you have no experience with them) is totally worthless...  The people i know that use 87 or 88 slip in all love them. And they do have experience with them. A lot of people suffer from internet-intelligence. I bought my set from Ahnendorp in germany. They have been selling the 88 set for 20 years and haven't had a single complaint. Again usefull information. No shouting that they are junk just because you heard someone ells shouted it out too.

Why not build a 1915..? Why not, while i'm at it, build a 2,3 turbo? You have to draw the line somewhere..

Kind regards,

Gideon
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 17:23:50 pm »

My dad ran those in the '71 Westfalia I grew up with. Those, along with an Engle 110 and some small single barrel carbs made the thing move really well, he even got a speeding ticket in Texas on family vacation for going 80 something! Cop supposedly was stunned that a bus could go that fast! It was great until it got warm, distored the cylinders, and blew oil by the rings! Cheesy I think he said he put in two or three sets of those slip ins over the years. In a bus, bad idea. If it's a motor that's well thought out and cools itself very well then I think you'll be fine. Thicker cylinder walls just give you more insurance if you do get it warm, keep the head temps down and you'll be fine. I've got a forged set that I'll be trying out in the GTV, soon I hope!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
gibber!

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 00:31:57 am »

Not wanting to upset the water with anyone but, I've had a set of slip in 88s on one of my engines for going on 14 years without any issues. It has intermittently been used as a daily and not abused on the track but still seen a good few miles.

(in a bug by the way)

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Corally

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 13:40:13 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got the shortblock together now for test fitting the crank and cam. Turns nicely. I'll measure the deckheigt tonight. Shims for the endplay have been ordered. So the shortblock is pretty much done. Still missing the heads and lifters. But it starts looking like an engine now!

Kind regards,

Gideon
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 14:11:00 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got the shortblock together now for test fitting the crank and cam. Turns nicely. I'll measure the deckheigt tonight. Shims for the endplay have been ordered. So the shortblock is pretty much done. Still missing the heads and lifters. But it starts looking like an engine now!
Lifters???    Huh Huh

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Corally

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 14:26:21 pm »

I've got the shortblock together now for test fitting the crank and cam.

Kind regards,

Gideon
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: