The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 19:00:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351083 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project 68 cab
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Project 68 cab  (Read 41240 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 17:11:22 pm »

Just read this bit again Glenn - 1302 pan halves are different to torsion bar cars apparently - shame because I've got a really good 1303 pan at the unit too... They're wider at the front, where the heater channels kick in just in front of the doors.

The halves are the same for torsion and 1302/irs, 73- 1303 have a deeper area where the seats mount but the profile is the same Grin

Interesting! A mate of mine bought a pair of 1302/03 heater channels and they wouldn't go anywhere near his torsion bar bug pan. I'm going tohave to get the tape measure out on Saturday! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 18:00:03 pm »

The channels are different, not the pan halves, the channel bottom plate is about 3 inches longer Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 20:27:59 pm »

Neil with friends like you who needs enemies , i had a guy on volksmoan interested in the pan , he's pretty pissed now Im gonna keep it  Roll Eyes Wink
Ben Im a liking the look of that access hatch we need to talk  Wink can you possibly track me down some OG heater channels like the one's you used on the evolver  Cool

Progress report after a week of little activity on the cab and more on the donor , Im hoping to get onto the cab on sunday , get the bracing welded in and lift the body off .
im all geared up to do a frame head transplant now " Igor more power from the lightning rods "  Grin

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 20:47:13 pm »

I will be over on Sunday then to give you a hand. Grin

As you are getting the welder out what we can do is cut the access hatch out of your 49 and at the same time welded the trim holes up. Tongue Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 21:28:52 pm »

I will be over on Sunday then to give you a hand. Grin

As you are getting the welder out what we can do is cut the access hatch out of your 49 and at the same time welded the trim holes up. Tongue Cheesy

Need I say more , with friends like these  Roll Eyes

13.03 @ 98mph
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 08:13:41 am »

what time sunday are you lifting the skip off the pan, could pop over for an hour to give you a hand 

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 08:27:59 am »

what time sunday are you lifting the skip off the pan, could pop over for an hour to give you a hand 
Prob pm lift  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 09:05:23 am »

Neil with friends like you who needs enemies , i had a guy on volksmoan interested in the pan , he's pretty pissed now Im gonna keep it  Roll Eyes Wink
Ben Im a liking the look of that access hatch we need to talk  Wink can you possibly track me down some OG heater channels like the one's you used on the evolver  Cool

Progress report after a week of little activity on the cab and more on the donor , Im hoping to get onto the cab on sunday , get the bracing welded in and lift the body off .
im all geared up to do a frame head transplant now " Igor more power from the lightning rods "  Grin

Oops! Embarrassed Cheesy You learn something every day! Looks like I'll be able to use the 03 pan I've got too then... It's useful having a BenSSP with access to the fiddly details about what fits what!  Shocked Grin

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Airhead

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:14 am »

I might pop over Sunday too for a quick look to see how many corners you cut to get it finished

I will bring some protective gloves with me to help move the 56' (sorry 49) out of the way.

Wink Grin
herbieharv

13.5@99.5mph virgin

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 15:10:43 pm »

are you driving your 68 over rich!

I keep meeting cloned mates in other country's .....I'm getting worried there might be another one of me

15.00 secs in a jumbo ... Mile high club member
herbieharv

13.5@99.5mph virgin

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 15:13:42 pm »

p.s. i would give you hand as well nordberg but ive got to clear a garage and move a 84 classic hot hatch water pumper before salisbury council cease it lol Shocked

I keep meeting cloned mates in other country's .....I'm getting worried there might be another one of me

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 19:45:50 pm »

Got all the bracing in today , bit over the top with 8m of inch steel but i dont want it to fold when it comes free of the pan  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 19:54:31 pm »

Got all the bracing in today , bit over the top with 8m of inch steel but i dont want it to fold when it comes free of the pan  Smiley

Just cut it in half! It'll be fine! Cheesy Going to try to match up the two halves of mine next week! Shocked

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 19:59:19 pm »

What is this a race Neil  Grin

13.03 @ 98mph
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 22:15:15 pm »

Busy weekend here at castle bodge  Roll Eyes first off welded the bracing in and jumped up and down on the old pan a bit till it fell out   Grin

Then got set about the easiest IRS conversion Ive ever done

The ball joint frame head just slotted into place as the Macpheason pan tunnel is just a tad larger easy peasy , a few measurements to make sure its all square and bingo job done  Cool
On the down side managed to knock the cab off the axle stands while bringing the new pan in Dooh ,
no harm done just a couple of dents but it showed the bracing was good coz the doors still open fine  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
herbieharv

13.5@99.5mph virgin

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 23:54:33 pm »

your getting on with it glen ,im impressed Grin

Neil Davies

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 22:10:03 pm »

Looking good Glenn, I worked for about 3 hours today then went home cos it was too cold! Cheesy

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 23:42:29 pm »

Looking good Glenn, I worked for about 3 hours today then went home cos it was too cold! Cheesy
You managed more than me , still at me day job for a couple more dayz  Roll Eyes no time for rustin old buckets  Grin
Next up gonna have to be the heater channels  Undecided there's no getting away from it . Gonna start by seeing whats left after I peel away the nasty stuff , hopefully there's enough of the A and B pillar gussets to work with as i don't relish having to rebuild them too  Undecided

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 09:44:37 am »

hopefully there's enough of the A and B pillar gussets to work with as i don't relish having to rebuild them too  Undecided

Glenn, I've been having a look over on Restowagen at a couple of the cab restos they've got threads on. I know their back suspension is all broken, but the quality is superb.
http://restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10783&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
http://restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=31&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
One or the other of these threads shows how the gussets were re-made, and if I can get some decent measurements I'll have a go at mine soon. I think I'll do a flat piece folded on the flat sides, and weld a flange on for the curved side. The nice thing is that they're closed in at the back so I can weld them from behind and have very little grinding to do!

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 15:11:53 pm »

trents cab is awesome, and something we all need to aim for in the level of detail that won't even be seen!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 18:34:26 pm »

Wow there's some proper work going on there , kinda make's me think mine's not too bad now  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2009, 19:12:11 pm »

Progress progress  Cheesy
Ive been cutting more shit out today .
 Took me all of 10 minutes to liberate these long rusty things under the ever watchful eye of my dog Russell  Roll Eyes

Dropped the body onto the 02 pan for a quick once over , all looks good just needs a bit of joggling about  Smiley
Now I really need some channels , Ben you have mail  Wink

Oooh oooh anyone need one of these rear luggage shelves coz I just found this one " not my auction "
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260528689264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182
Not to easy to find anymore  Wink
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 19:18:19 pm by 49-rag » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2009, 09:07:47 am »

Guess that lot did'nt need much cutting to remove Shocked
Did it come with the hood frame etc, or was it just a shell you bought?
EBI4?? Cool
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2009, 09:28:35 am »

Guess that lot did'nt need much cutting to remove Shocked
Did it come with the hood frame etc, or was it just a shell you bought?
EBI4?? Cool
Cheers,
Kev

No not too much persuasion was needed Kev  Shocked , came with the hood frame glass etc got to sort out some new material for it  Wink
As for EBI4 not sure its not going to be a racer and there's only so much fun to be had crusin around with the top down  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 11:38:56 am »

The $64000 question though - will it have side trim? Grin Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 11:41:00 am »

No he not. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:08 pm »

Side trim Pahh  Roll Eyes
ere what do you guys think about this one " its just an idea at the mo "
As im gonna switch it over to RHD Im thinking about keepin the old glove box where it is , grafting in a RHD box to and the graftin in two speedo appatures into where the radio mout would be " mine's been cut anyhow " maybe tilt them towards the drive a bit and mount a couple of porker gauges in there  Huh
Its just an idea at the mo  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »

No he not. Grin

You've been keeping a low profile matey, hows things??

Neil Davies

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 21:04:35 pm »

Side trim Pahh  Roll Eyes
ere what do you guys think about this one " its just an idea at the mo "
As im gonna switch it over to RHD Im thinking about keepin the old glove box where it is , grafting in a RHD box to and the graftin in two speedo appatures into where the radio mout would be " mine's been cut anyhow " maybe tilt them towards the drive a bit and mount a couple of porker gauges in there  Huh
Its just an idea at the mo  Wink
Two glove boxes? A bit "split window" isn't it? Wink
Wayne Allman had both LHD and RHD drivers side dash sections in his Beetle using a Ghia clock and a stock speedo, and Roland's '68 uses basically two glove box panels with 914 clocks in the drivers side. Up to you mate, but it might get a bit tight! Shocked

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2010, 22:28:44 pm »

While Ive been waiting for the rest of my panels to turn up ive had my favorite tool out again  Roll Eyes
 Front scuttle was toast so this seamed the simplest route .

Was left , now going right  Wink

Not going down the twin glove box route now  Wink
Rocket's offered me a 914 speedo and tacho so I think Im gonna loose the old speedo mount , grills , vents , radio hole
 and extra holes and go VDO mad with a temp , preasure and volt gauge where the radio was  Cool
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 22:31:55 pm by 49-rag » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: