The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 20:40:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351084 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project 68 cab
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Project 68 cab  (Read 41270 times)
herbieharv

13.5@99.5mph virgin

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:14 am »

hows it going glen done any more?

I keep meeting cloned mates in other country's .....I'm getting worried there might be another one of me

15.00 secs in a jumbo ... Mile high club member
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2010, 19:41:29 pm »

Hi Fella , Yup plenty  Smiley Got the dash and scuttle section welded in and lost all the extra holes  Wink now looks a bit 67 ish .
Got pretty much all the panels now , just waiting on some front inner wing panels and need to sort out a pasenger lower rear quarter too .
Engine wise I stumbled over some new Brothers 94 mm heads I forgot I had  Roll Eyes so I'll bolt together a little 1914 for now  Wink
Need to find a set of B&P's for it mild cam and a counter weight crank if anyones got one knocking about  Wink
looking at just getting a hood bag for it and letting the girl's smoke about in it this summer and doing the top next year .
Think Im go down the 2 litre porker wheels route  Cool
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 21:41:21 pm by 49-rag » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2010, 20:55:26 pm »

I have some bits for a 1914 that need to be taken out of my engine bay!  Was going to stick them on vzi, but your welcome to haggle.  Case, B and P, engle 120, stock rockers with autocraft shaft, 009 with crane cams ignition, Gene berg standard length pushrods.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
F-22A

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2010, 21:02:32 pm »

trents cab is awesome, and something we all need to aim for in the level of detail that won't even be seen!

Tks for the comments Lids.  As you can see I've started lurking on here... Wink

Nice project Glen.  Look forward to seeing it go forward, hard to beat a Karmann Kab!

DBK UK
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 21:34:51 pm »

trents cab is awesome, and something we all need to aim for in the level of detail that won't even be seen!

Nice project Glen.  Look forward to seeing it go forward, hard to beat a Karmann Kab!

Cheers fella and welcome to the lounge . I'll have a steep climb to get this old bucket half as nice as your's  Cool

13.03 @ 98mph
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2010, 21:38:17 pm »

I have some bits for a 1914 that need to be taken out of my engine bay!  Was going to stick them on vzi, but your welcome to haggle.  Case, B and P, engle 120, stock rockers with autocraft shaft, 009 with crane cams ignition, Gene berg standard length pushrods.

Ohh there's quite a few things there I'd have Mike , PM me with some mate's rate's price's and i'll promice not to rib you anymore bout car's and track time  Wink Grin

13.03 @ 98mph
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 21:51:24 pm »

Ohh there's quite a few things there I'd have Mike , PM me with some mate's rate's price's and i'll promice not to rib you anymore bout car's and track time  Wink Grin

will do once i find the time and a dry day to pull the engine out the car.  My garage is full of furniture, as i am about to have the front room plastered.

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2010, 23:02:48 pm »

will do once i find the time and a dry day to pull the engine out the car.  My garage is full of furniture, as i am about to have the front room plastered.

Thought you were plastered most of the time , what with all that Belgium cherry beer  Roll Eyes

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2010, 11:24:27 am »

If you stop here long enough we might even get you to put the suspension at the right height... Wink The work Gav has done on yours and Andy's cars is superb, and I've been taking lots of notes for my Karmann cab too! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 21:07:34 pm »

Right pretty much got all the panels i need now , was going to have a week on it last but work got in the way  Roll Eyes
Having second thoughts on colour now  Roll Eyes Im torn between lotus white or deepest darkest black  Huh
Been offered some copy burners for it , but .... well you know  Roll Eyes got to have the real deal chasing down two sets of magnesium based jobies right now  Cool

13.03 @ 98mph
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2010, 21:11:49 pm »

5 burners on the samba for 1200 right now

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=870587
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 21:17:00 pm by On the edge » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 22:10:11 pm »

Had an afternoon spare today to put some time in on the kab . Got both heater channels cut in and positioned with the new rear cross members , believe these are genuine ones as the fit a treat .
Heater channels are supposed to be taken from the original pressings and it showed as they fit well too .
Chopped out the rear luggage floor , boy had that had is fair share of plates in it  Roll Eyes
Think my kab's gonna be about 30lbs lighter once Ive lost all the plates and doggy repairs  Wink
Im going to try and get time to cut out and position the rear quarters on Sunday want to try and get as much as i can mocked up it place with clamps etc and double check everything before I crack out the Mig  Wink
Last job of the night was to reposition the doors on the shell , all looked good and gaps are nice and tight  Cool
Got some nice sill / channel strengtheners from CSP will put these on last me thinks , so Ive got a bit more flexibility in the body before these strengthen it all up , gonna just tack them in place then put the shell on its side coz Im crap at welding up side down  Roll Eyes
Will post some pix soon as ive stated to tack it together  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 21:41:46 pm »

Chopped out the rear luggage floor , boy had that had is fair share of plates in it  Roll Eyes
Think my kab's gonna be about 30lbs lighter once Ive lost all the plates and doggy repairs  Wink

Likewise - I dug out a lump of filler on mine. It went from doorpost to wing line, and about 18 inches up the quarter. It's well over half an inch thick! Shocked

Got some nice sill / channel strengtheners from CSP will put these on last me thinks , so Ive got a bit more flexibility in the body before these strengthen it all up , gonna just tack them in place then put the shell on its side coz Im crap at welding up side down  Roll Eyes
Will post some pix soon as ive stated to tack it together  Smiley

I got that strengthener off ebay! Went for £100 in the end, so not cheap, but still half brand new price! Wink I'm going to put the strengtheners on last too. Allows for some movement, like you say.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2010, 20:10:53 pm »

Right, plan is to strip old engine and take all ancillary parts to VoWo show for Jim, do you want me to bring any engine bits you might be interested in?

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2010, 22:26:07 pm »

yup  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2010, 19:44:04 pm »

Forgive me lord of all that is original for I have sinned .
 I have now welded up all my trim ,  lost my fuel filler hatch , bought a pair of pre 67 rear wings , welded up my  bumper holes in my front wings .
And Im now on the hunt for a 67 engine lid , valence , early front valance & bonnet , front & rear bumper mounts and a pair of mid 60's rear lights .
Oh and a pair of small lucus lamps would be nice too  Roll Eyes
Dam my cal look leaning's  Cheesy

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:43 am »

Forgive me lord of all that is original for I have sinned .
 I have now welded up all my trim ,  lost my fuel filler hatch , bought a pair of pre 67 rear wings , welded up my  bumper holes in my front wings .
And Im now on the hunt for a 67 engine lid , valence , early front valance & bonnet , front & rear bumper mounts and a pair of mid 60's rear lights .
Oh and a pair of small lucus lamps would be nice too  Roll Eyes
Dam my cal look leaning's  Cheesy

Glenn, I've got everything you need... because I'm putting my fake '67 back to '68! Cheesy
Got the engine lid, rear valance (removeable, with centre cut out) and rear lights you're after, plus a 2 vent lid to cabrio the '67 one, the bonnet with handle and latch, I've also got dash knobs and a glovebox lid modified to work with the '68-on dash, a pair of scrap doors to take the handle apertures out of, plus various other bits and pieces like ignition barrel, fuel gauge, steering column, etc. Might even have the front bumper mounts if they come out alright.
Unfortunately the front valance is rotten, and although I've got door handles, the locking one is so worn it can be opened with a teaspoon... And I'm keeping my Lucases! Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2010, 19:13:49 pm »

Well Im seem to have the bits you need too then to go back to 68  Wink we need to talk  Cheesy

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2010, 21:10:32 pm »

Well Im seem to have the bits you need too then to go back to 68  Wink we need to talk  Cheesy

We do indeed! Wink Shoot me a pm with a list of exactly what you need and I'll see what I've got. For the back to '68 project I've already got doors, lids, wings, lights, a new front valance, and a rear valance i can use, but I'll probably be after the fuel filler area if you've cut it out, and definately the fuel filler door - the cab needs one and I've only got a later cable release one.

If you're going for major accuracy, then don't forget to narrow the recess for the early steering column... Strictly speaking you should change the hinges on the glovebox door, but that's probably going a bit far! Cheesy

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2010, 21:17:34 pm »

maybe a bit too anal for me there buddy  Grin you sure can have the filler door recess etc , you got a 67 tank too ?

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2010, 22:00:39 pm »

I have, complete with sender and gauge. We made sure we made our car as convincing as possible - we had just finished off the majority of the metalwork when we found a rotten '67 which we stripped for parts, so barring winder handles and door pins, I think I used everything. The irony was that it wasn't as rotten as the '68 had been - if we'd found it six months earlier I'd have a real '67 Cal Looker! Shocked Cheesy

Anyway dude, let me know what you need and I'll work out what I need and we can work out prices and whene and where to swap parts over - I think a trip to the Volksworld show might be in order! Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2010, 20:41:08 pm »

Today I have mostly been making big hole's

Then filling them in again  Cheesy

What a pain that was , with the extra kab strengthener bits .
Used the inner wing from the 1302 I broke , came with a nice Veng panel too , which was nice .
Reattaching the bottom of the hood hinge gusset could be a pain if your not carful ,
Neil beware  Wink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 20:47:20 pm by Black Sheep » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2010, 21:40:39 pm »

Big holes - I know all about them! Did similar repairs on my old '70/'72 beetle - left the boot floor in though!

I'm using the whole back end off that blue '74, then letting in the Karmann bits, and I was wondering how to get to welding those hood mounts! I've taken of those boxes with the rear seat supports though.

For the time being though, we've put the cab on hold. We're getting my mate's Caddy pick up ready for paint, then going to do a quick tidy up on my '68 - hoping to have that ready for the Avon Park meet on the 17th, not to race but just so Emma has something to drive around in until the cab is done. Then there's the DVLA thing - they want to know if the car is a kit... Roll Eyes Angry

Solexine

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2010, 16:23:22 pm »

Cutting a hole in the luggage floor is a really good idea, and one I'll certainly do in my cars. Why the factory ever deleted that feature I don't know... Huh I don't think I'd use a T25 hatch though - they're pretty heavy! I think I'll make something out of a donor section of luggage floor, maybe with a simple frame welded round the edge, or just a folded edge like in our split bugs.

Glenn, I may have a spare panel like the one i have fitted, it's from a Brazillian Kombi

About this, I made it on my 67'
 And now I have a full access

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 16:24:55 pm by Solexine » Logged
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2010, 16:27:03 pm »

That's brilliant! I've seen that mod in many a type 2 but never a Beetle. Looks like it was made for it!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2010, 17:31:25 pm »

nice work like that  Cool

Hahaha your killing me.........
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:19 am »

Cool like that  Smiley Is that from a type 25 ? kinda got used to my access panel on my split , a must have panel .

13.03 @ 98mph
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:06 am »

Cool like that  Smiley Is that from a type 25 ? kinda got used to my access panel on my split , a must have panel .

Glenn, I have a spare!!!, just got to check with James but there are a few at thw workshop :-)

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Solexine

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:34 am »

Hello.
   I used the spare panel from a wrecked late bay-window (whit a type IV engine) found in a yard.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2010, 17:05:20 pm »

Today I've been filling in the gap's  Roll Eyes

Pleasure to work with proper panel's no fuss or bother  Cool

13.03 @ 98mph
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: